Does a Deep bite cause a shorter Ramus and how is that corrected?

mvp2v1

mvp2v1

Show me your bones & I will show you ur destiny

A deep bite as I know it is when the bottom molars go un-erupted (intruded). I spoke to an orthotropist about it and he agreed, saying that the solution is to extrude the molars. What I wonder though is if as a result of this intrusion the ramus has grown into a shorter form, thus ramus lengthening would be necessary in addition to the extrusion of the molars. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Note: that the dynamics of a deep bite are such that the whole mandible (one would think) would grow into a smaller (deficient) size

Last edited:
What about your mandible?

I had a severe deep bite at one point due to lack of chewing and my ramus was 1.75 inches which is subhuman levels of short. Now it is 2.5-2.75 inches.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
I had a severe deep bite at one point due to lack of chewing and my ramus was 1.75 inches which is subhuman levels of short. Not it is 2.5-2.75.
do you measure ramus from what point?

• +1
Reactions: Moggie
I had a severe deep bite at one point due to lack of chewing and my ramus was 1.75 inches which is subhuman levels of short. Not it is 2.5-2.75.
is your gum line on for your teeth of your mandible alligned? Has that alignment changed through your chewing?

gum line. molars are intruded. This causes the mandible to grow to a deficient size I would think... In an individual past 13 I would think this lack of growth requires surgical correction. IMDO and Ramus lengthening. :feelswhy:
Screen Shot 2022 07 12 at 93516 PM

• +1
gum line. molars are intruded. This causes the mandible to grow to a deficient size I would think... In an individual past 13 I would think this lack of growth requires surgical correction. IMDO and Ramus lengthening. :feelswhy:
View attachment 1777625
push

is your gum line on for your teeth of your mandible alligned? Has that alignment changed through your chewing?
My overbite droppd from 7-10 mm to 2mm.

do you measure ramus from what point?
I measured from the point it starts to reach the zygos to where it met the gonion, for me next to the ear hole and got 2.5 inches but no idea if I measured it properly

• +1
Was your deep bite diagnosed by a pro? I did not know chewing could correct deep bites. I don't quite understand how that happens.

how do u chew bro this makes no sense. always tough chewing would intrude the teeth evem more wtf

how do u chew bro this makes no sense. always tough chewing would intrude the teeth evem more wtf
What? Lol I dont think this is true. Where do you get this from?

What I wonder though is if as a result of this intrusion the ramus has grown into a shorter form, thus ramus lengthening would be necessary in addition to the extrusion of the molars. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?
Simply bc the mandible is higher up in the back (closer and more flush to the rest of the skull) than it should be… visually and spaceialy (spelling) this makes sense to me. Do you think it’s wrong?

Simply bc the mandible is higher up in the back (closer and more flush to the rest of the skull) than it should be… visually and spaceialy (spelling) this makes sense to me. Do you think it’s wrong?
my mandible is higher up only when i chew rest of the time theres alot of gap between the molars , i do have the same shit as yours intruded molars and deep but but i have heavy spacing in rest.

my mandible is higher up only when i chew rest of the time theres alot of gap between the molars , i do have the same shit as yours intruded molars and deep but but i have heavy spacing in rest.
This is common of a deep bite:

In this video Mike Describes how deep bite havers do exactly as you say (I do that too btw)

spatially
Found the spelling...

This is common of a deep bite:

In this video Mike Describes how deep bite havers do exactly as you say (I do that too btw)

spatially
Found the spelling...

yes , already watched that video but i think ramus is purely genetic . In my case i do have decent ramus size when at rest , btw how your ortho gonna extrude molars ? elastics?

yes , already watched that video but i think ramus is purely genetic . In my case i do have decent ramus size when at rest , btw how your ortho gonna extrude molars ? elastics?
Don't agree on ramus length being genetic. it's determined by environmentally induced need. Bone responds to need.

Yes the extrusion will be with elastics.

• +1
Reactions: Asteroidzz
it's determined by environmentally induced need
what do you mean by that? you mean chewing hard food at developing stage will give you taller ramus?

what do you mean by that? you mean chewing hard food at developing stage will give you taller ramus?
well, I did not mean what you say, but I do believe that is true (bone will grow/remodel at almost any age with age correlating to reduced ability to change). I meant that the body (bone, organs etc) adapts to its environment. specifically to what is required or NOT required of it. This is what orthotropics is about (with a focus on bone and the cranio-facial complex)... These ideas have already been accepted when it comes to organs cc: athlete heart

I have a deepbite but my ramus is very long which makes my gonial angle so low

• Hmm...
Reactions: mvp2v1
I have a deepbite but my ramus is very long which makes my gonial angle so low
Ya Im not sure if I was correct regarding ramus length being shorter on individuals with deep bites. However what you describe is typical of someone with a deep bite. Because your mandible is literally higher up than it should be, and as such it does not need to rotated down in order to properly occlude (teeth occlusion is healthy). As a result your gonial angle will be lower (more acute) compared to a mouthbreather for instance.

tldr: your gonial angle is not low because your ramus is notably long, its low because the mandible sits higher up... hopefully this makes sense

Ya Im not sure if I was correct regarding ramus length being shorter on individuals with deep bites. However what you describe is typical of someone with a deep bite. Because your mandible is literally higher up than it should be, and as such it does not need to rotated down in order to properly occlude (teeth occlusion is healthy). As a result your gonial angle will be lower (more acute) compared to a mouthbreather for instance.

tldr: your gonial angle is not low because your ramus is notably long, its low because the mandible sits higher up... hopefully this makes sense
Yea ig bsso for deepbite and veeners for teeth will ascend me

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1