Does anyone here have pure-ocd and intrusive thoughts?

Do you have show signs of pure-ocd

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 17872

Female rights activist

• +1
Reactions: LightSkinNoob and khvirgin
doesnt sound real

No shit you ll have "intrusive" thoughts about ethics, morality, relationships, marriage, sex etc, its called having your brain turned on

• JFL
  • +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: Pride, NoseProphecy, Psychophilly and 12 others
doesnt sound real

No shit you ll have "intrusive" thoughts about ethics, morality, relationships, marriage, sex etc, its called having your brain turned on
This tbh.

"muh I must have a mental condition cause my brain is thinking"

Tf is wrong with people.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4209, Deleted member 21863, Deleted member 20370 and 1 other person
  • JFL
Reactions: Sprinkles, ReadBooksEveryday, Deleted member 16275 and 2 others
Do you really have it or are you just kidding?

There is a reason this thread is flagged serious

I m diagnosed with ocd, but idk what further classifications are

(Not that you can tame a disrespectful med lion with a thread prefix)

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17872
i have intrusive thoughts just not on the topics listed on the para you posted

i have intrusive thoughts just not on the topics listed on the para you posted
What kind of intrusive thoughts you have?

I have pure OCD. I basically have all kinds of OCD, And I also have ADHD

• Woah
I have pure OCD. I basically have all kinds of OCD, And I also have ADHD
If it's actually true then it must suck. How do you keep on being productive?

doesnt sound real

This tbh.

"muh I must have a mental condition cause my brain is thinking"

Tf is wrong with people.
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

80IQ comments. Pure OCD is not a person entertaining high IQ thoughts and debating with himself like he's some philosopher. I love how people just like to speak their minds about things they have no idea about.

For example a person with Pure OCD might be afraid to hold a knife because in his mind he might stab himself (does that sound like ''thinking'' to you?) or his brain would show him images that go against god and he will freak out, over and over and over again (wow bro, my brain is just thinking)

Being schizo is just your brain ''showing'' you sounds and pictures bro. Being bipolar is just your brain going from being sad to being happy - It's normal and everyone is sad and happy from time to time!

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: cummy-kaze, horizontallytall, Elvisandreaa and 7 others
Sometimes I get it but I would say it's bad.

i doubt my memory . i cant trust my memory
How old are you and for how long have you been having these thoughts?

its not a real mental condition. Its a jew scam
Muh Jews. OCD is a well known disease. Being sad and happy is normal, being bipolar is not. You need to learn what extreme and homeostasis means, low IQ filipino.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, Deleted member 19036, Magical Apple and 1 other person
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

80IQ comments. Pure OCD is not a person entertaining high IQ thoughts and debating with himself like he's some philosopher. I love how people just like to speak their minds about things they have no idea about.

For example a person with Pure OCD might be afraid to hold a knife because in his mind he might stab himself (does that sound like ''thinking'' to you?) or his brain would show him images that go against god and he will freak out, over and over and over again (wow bro, my brain is just thinking)

Being schizo is just your brain ''showing'' you sounds and pictures bro. Being bipolar is just your brain going from being sad to being happy - It's normal and everyone is sad and happy from time to time!
just deal with it, pussy

• JFL
How old are you and for how long have you been having these thoughts?
18. i wouldnt say i have ocd, or anything serious, but once in a while i feel as though i did something embarassing in the past and forgot about it. this causes me to seek reassurance etc.

just deal with it, pussy
How lucky you are there are cams and police everywhere. 100 years ago I would've skin you alive and make you sing all types of yiddish songs fucking weak low IQ midget.

• JFL
Reactions: Elvisandreaa, Deleted member 13787, Deleted member 16275 and 3 others
18. i wouldnt say i have ocd, or anything serious, but once in a while i feel as though i did something embarassing in the past and forgot about it. this causes me to seek reassurance etc.
I would tell you should visit a doctor. Around your age i started having ocd. It started innocuously but soon turned into something sinister

• +1
Reactions: Lynx
I think my parents are trying to kill me and idk why

Think or abused by the thought? the former is under the schizo category.
Idk. Like soemtimes when i eat food by them i just think it’s over and this is it it’s done and i lay down in my bed and think it’s time for me to die.

I also couldn’t use my computer for 2 months straight because i thought i was being watched i think it’s related

Idk. Like soemtimes when i eat food by them i just think it’s over and this is it it’s done and i lay down in my bed and think it’s time for me to die.

I also couldn’t use my computer for 2 months straight because i thought i was being watched i think it’s related
That could be OCD if you know deep down that it's bullshit. A schizo is a person who you can't convince otherwise. OCD is all about doubt. The switch from OCD to Schizo (not the same disease at all) is when you're sure / really believe in that.

• +1
Reactions: User49
That could be OCD if you know deep down that it's bullshit. A schizo is a person who you can't convince otherwise. OCD is all about doubt. The switch from OCD to Schizo (not the same disease at all) is when you're sure / really believe in that.
yes when i sit here and think about it it doesn’t make sense. but during certain periods of time i just think stuff like that

yes when i sit here and think about it it doesn’t make sense. but during certain periods of time i just think stuff like that
When it happens do you realize that it's bullshit? do you curse your brain for fucking with you?

or you truly act like it's 100% real and there's nothing wrong with your brain, that's just reality.

When it happens do you realize that it's bullshit? do you curse your brain for fucking with you?
idk, not really. like i said i couldn’t use computer for 2 months because of my intrusive thoughts
or you truly act like it's 100% real and there's nothing wrong with your brain, that's just reality.
looking back it seems unlikely

nooo, I wouldnt say, but if I did I wouldnt discuss because it falls under (hazardous discussion of socially contagious conditions)!
-intrusive thoughts
-nightmares
-sleep p********

ppl with these CONDITIONS quickly learn

idk, not really.
Probably over.
like i said i couldn’t use computer for 2 months because of my intrusive thoughts
Doesn't matter. intrusive thoughts are unwanted thoughts btw (false thoughts that you recognize as such) if you believed in them these are not intrusive they're just your reality. Like, if you fucked with the wrong people and now they're out to get you, you're not being schizo for thinking about how to protect yourself. If you think you fucked with the wrong people and now you're protecting yourself but really no one is out there to get you, you can have OCD or being schizo based on one fact: do you recognize that it's bullshit but you can't stop thinking about it or it's literally part of your reality. With OCD it can be a mix sometimes (I think) but being schizo it's 100% part of your reality and if somebody would try to tell you that it's bullshit you will just think that he's part of the plan or some shit.

looking back it seems unlikely
Idk what to tell you.

Last edited:
  • +1
also couldn’t use my computer for 2 months straight because i thought i was being watched
You are being watched to some degree tbh. We all are. Not like a personal god, but you know. But the parents shit is more disturbing.

• +1
You are being watched to some degree tbh. We all are. Not like a personal god, but you know. But the parents shit is more disturbing.
idk man

i go see professional again soon

first time they sent me into a mental ward thing and it was very unpleasant and boring to be there

idk man

i go see professional again soon

first time they sent me into a mental ward thing and it was very unpleasant and boring to be there
You seem to believe in it with no doubts tbh ngl but I'm not a professional, take care son.

• +1

False Memory OCD Symptoms​

False Memory obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an OCD subtype characterized by ongoing intrusive doubting thoughts and compulsive behavior around a past event. People with False Memory OCD experience frequent doubts about things that have happened to them and may be convinced they’ve done something wrong despite no evidence of these memories being true (e.g., “Did I accidentally steal and don’t remember?”). The recurrent doubting thoughts are often viewed as an indication that their fears are true (e.g., “if I’m so concerned I stole, then I must have. Otherwise, why am I thinking about it?”), which fuels anxiety about their memories and drives people struggling with these thoughts to engage in various compulsions aimed at gaining certainty about their memories (e.g., asking for continual reassurance from a friend about whether you accidentally stole something, or searching through your home for the receipt).
Most people with False Memory OCD find their doubting obsessions can feel impossible to let go of. Their false memories can feel like real events. The more the person fixates on them, the more their brain may fill in these false memories with even more false information, further convincing themselves they are guilty of things they haven’t done. Furthermore, even though behaviors aimed at feeling more certain of one’s memory (e.g., repeated checking) might seem to increase confidence in memory accuracy, research actually shows the opposite: these behaviors actually decrease one’s confidence in their memory (Cuttler & Graf, 2009).
Alcohol use can play a significant role in False Memory OCD. When a person can’t clearly remember what happened for long periods of time, their OCD may take over and start spinning tales of false memories.
Let’s say Joe is in a committed relationship. He was drinking one night and can’t exactly remember everything that happened at the bar with his friend. He has a hazy memory of a brief interaction with a woman. He might begin to fixate on this specific interaction and wonder: “Did anything else besides a brief conversation take place between us? Did I cheat on my partner last night? How can I be certain?” Joe’s uncertainty and anxiety may feel overwhelming and drive him toward compulsive behaviors in order to alleviate it. This could look like asking his friend to recall what happened last night. Do they remember you interacting with anyone? Was it a normal interaction? Joe may also be compelled to find physical evidence, like asking the bar for last night’s video footage, just to be sure. These compulsions only ease the person’s anxiety temporarily. For someone with OCD, eventually, the anxieties start up again. (e.g., Joe might start thinking, “Yes, my friend told me he saw me interact with this woman, and we only exchanged a few words, but what if something happened when he stepped outside?”)
In some cases, False Memory OCD can have devastating consequences for a person’s life. A person could be convinced that they committed a terrible act, even if there’s no evidence to prove this. Out of shame, they could isolate themselves from others, convinced they are a bad person. In more extreme cases, people with False Memory OCD have been convinced they’ve committed a crime like murder and will confess because they believe they are guilty and should face punishment.
All NOCD Therapists are trained in ERP.
Book a free call to start your journey with a NOCD Therapist
Book a free call

False Memory OCD: Some Examples of Obsessive Thoughts​

• Did I do this immoral/taboo action?
  • Did I accidentally say something inappropriate to my friend yesterday?
  • Did I interrupt my partner when he spoke?
  • If I’m wondering about this, doesn’t it mean it’s true?
  • Did I hurt my brother or sister when we were younger and playing at the park?
  • When my sister fell and fractured her arm when we were children, was it actually because I pushed her? Would I have done something like that? Am I a bad person?
  • Did the person I “hooked up with” actually consent to sex with me?
  • Did I walk out of the restaurant without paying by mistake? Maybe it wasn’t by mistake. Was I trying to steal?
  • Did I touch my student inappropriately when they came to see me after class? Am I a pedophile? Did I purposely block this memory from my mind in order to forget that I am a bad person?

False Memory OCD: Some Examples of Compulsive Behaviors​

Mental review: A common False Memory OCD compulsion is to mentally review past experiences to try and prove or disprove your doubts about what happened. So if your obsessive thought is that you walked out of a restaurant without paying, you might try and review every single moment of that experience in your head. You’ll try to mentally replay when exactly the waiter came over, and the moment you asked for the bill. You might try to remember whether you paid with cash or a credit card. Wouldn’t they have said something if you tried to steal? Did anyone look at you? You might replay every past dining experience you can remember to reassure yourself that you have always remembered to pay and that you have never stolen anything in your life.
Reassurance seeking: People with False Memory OCD might turn to friends or other people who witnessed the memory in question in an effort to validate the information they are doubting. In this example, the person might call the restaurant to be sure they paid. They may ask the friend they were with or go back in person to confirm their bill was paid with the waiter. The questions may be more general as well, like asking a friend or family member: Have you ever walked out of a restaurant without paying? Do you think that could possibly happen?
Distracting, replacing, or suppressing thoughts: People with False Memory OCD may try to distract themselves from these obsessive thoughts, try to fill their mind with positive thoughts instead, or attempt to suppress their thoughts. They might repeat to themselves: I am not a thief. I have never stolen anything in my life.
Confessing: When someone with False Memory OCD has convinced themselves they are guilty of an action that happened in the past, they may confess to important figures in their life, or to authority figures on what they’ve done wrong. For example, a person may see a news report of a murder and become convinced they were the ones to do it on the basis that they cannot exactly remember what they were doing when the murder took place but recall being in the vicinity. They may turn themselves in on the basis that they think they may potentially be guilty, even though there is no evidence at all that they had done this.
Physical Checking: People with False Memory OCD may try to recreate a scene they have in their minds. They may physically revisit the location they are concerned about, try to access recorded footage, spend hours researching news archives about an event they may have possibly been implicated in.
Self-punishment or Avoidance: Someone may act on the guilt from what they may have done in an effort to ease their anxiety. For example, if someone is convinced they have forgotten to pay at a restaurant, they may decide that the best course of action is to never eat at this restaurant again, for fear that they’ll be publicly identified as a thief.
Even though everyone might have doubts about what they’ve done in the past or worry that they may have forgotten to pay at a restaurant at one point or another, these thoughts usually leave a person’s mind without much difficulty. That’s unfortunately not the case for someone with False Memory OCD. The fear of false memories does not go away once the person with OCD has gotten reasonable evidence they are innocent. Instead, their brain starts spinning further possibilities of uncertainty, creating new scenarios that start the obsessive-compulsive cycle over again. One criterion for a diagnosis of False Memory OCD is that a person spends at least one hour per day on these obsessions and compulsions. Often, the obsessions and compulsions can take control of a person and their ability to function in their everyday life.

False Memory OCD ERP Therapy​

The best course of treatment for False Memory OCD, like all types of OCD, is exposure and response prevention (ERP) therapy. ERP is considered the gold standard for OCD treatment and has been found 80% effective. The majority of patients experience results within 12 – 25 sessions. As part of ERP therapy, you’d be tracking your obsessions and compulsions around your false memory and making a list of how distressing each thought is. You’ll work with your therapist to slowly put yourself into situations that bring on your obsessions. This has to be carefully planned to ensure it’s effective and so that you’re gradually building toward your goal rather than moving too quickly and getting completely overwhelmed.
The idea behind ERP therapy is that exposure to your fears is the most effective way to treat OCD. When you continually reach out for the compulsions, it only strengthens your need to engage in them.
On the other hand, when you prevent yourself from engaging in your compulsions, you teach yourself a new way to respond and will very likely experience a noticeable reduction in your anxiety.

Example of False Memory OCD Exposures​

Let’s take the example where someone is afraid they’ve left a restaurant without paying and have decided to avoid this restaurant at all costs for fear of being identified as a thief. A therapist may work with you to eventually face your fear and dine at this restaurant again. This may take time, especially if this exposure feels overwhelming and touches on one of your biggest fears (public humiliation). Together with your therapist, you’ll work to rank different exposures by difficulty. A less stressful exposure in this scenario might be to repeat to yourself, “I may or may not have walked out of this restaurant without paying. It’s impossible to know for sure.” ERP therapy aims to acquaint you with uncertainty and become more comfortable with it so that the anxiety of the unknown no longer feels as terrifying or unmanageable.
Other exposures for False Memory OCD may be to prevent yourself from seeking reassurance about a particular event you’re unsure about. Instead of calling friends or trying to verify a particular event by researching news reports, a therapist might have you describe this memory as if it actually happened, walk through the worst-case scenario, and what this might mean for your life. If you’ve spent years avoiding speaking about a false memory, this might sound terrifying, but the intention is that once you’ve mentally walked through the worst-case scenario in your mind, it will no longer hold as much of a grip on you.

How to Get Help for False Memory OCD​

False Memory OCD might be difficult to pinpoint because it’s not what people traditionally associate with OCD. A person with this subtype may also be convinced their memories are real, and not a part of False Memory OCD. However, a mental health professional who specializes in OCD will be able to make an accurate diagnosis. If you’re interested in learning about False Memory OCD and how it’s treated with ERP, you can schedule a free call with the NOCD care team to find out how treatment can help you. Also, you can join our false memory OCD community and get 24/7 access to personalized self-management tools built by people who have been through OCD and successfully recovered.
All NOCD therapists specialize in OCD and receive ERP-specific training and ongoing guidance from our clinical leadership team. Several of them have even dealt with OCD themselves and understand how crucial ERP therapy is. NOCD offers live face-to-face video therapy sessions with OCD therapists, in addition to ongoing support on the NOCD telehealth app, so that you’re fully supported during the course of your treatment.

Learn more about False Memory OCD​

Nicholas Farrell, Ph.D

Nicholas R. Farrell, Ph.D. is a psychologist and the Regional Clinical Director at NOCD where he provides clinical leadership and direction for our teletherapy services. In this role, he works closely with our clinical leadership team to provide a high-quality training and developmental experience for all of our therapists with the aim of maximizing treatment effectiveness and improving our members’ experience. Dr. Farrell received his master's and doctoral degrees in Clinical Psychology from the University of Wyoming (Laramie, WY, USA). He served as a graduate research assistant in the Anxiety Disorders Research Laboratory at the University of Wyoming from 2010 to 2015 and completed his predoctoral internship training as a psychology resident at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton (Ontario, Canada).
Show more
Tags|OCD SubtypesOCD SymptomsOCD Treatment

NOCD Therapists specialize in treating False Memory OCD​

View all therapists

Adriana Delgado
Licensed Therapist, LMHC

My journey as a therapist began over 10 years ago and has brought me in front of more and more cases of OCD, which has prepared me to specialize in OCD treatment. I have experience working at intensive in-home services for children & families, and intensive outpatient programs, preparing me for any challenge you may be facing. During sessions, I use Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy because it’s the most effective treatment for OCD, and works for any OCD subtype.
Show more
Carly Samach
Licensed Therapist, LMHC

I’ve been working in the mental health field for over 7 years, with experience treating OCD within crisis and anxiety management. My experience as a crisis clinician allowed me to treat adolescents and children, while spending additional time updating and educating their parents. Regardless of age, OCD makes living with joy a challenge, which makes Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy so crucial in OCD care. ERP gets right to the problem, and once you've learned how to manage OCD, the joy of life can fully return.
Show more
Stephanie Fidgeon
Licensed Therapist, LISW

I've held a private practice for over 15 years, treating cases of anxiety and depression and seeing OCD come up as an underlying symptom. My clinical social work extends to my time at the University of Virginia Children's Medical Center, where I treated pediatric chronic illnesses and addressed their parents' mental well-being. I now specialize in OCD and Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy. Whatever subtype you're experiencing, I can help.
Show more
Taylor Newendorp
Taylor Newendorp
Licensed Therapist, MA

I started as a therapist over 14 years ago, working in different mental health environments. Many people with OCD that weren't being treated for it crossed my path and weren't getting better. I decided that I wanted to help people with OCD, so I became an OCD therapist, and eventually, a clinical supervisor. I treated people using Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) and saw people get better day in and day out. I continue to use ERP because nothing is more effective in treating OCD.
Show more
Madina Alam
Madina Alam
Licensed Therapist, LCMHC

When I started treating OCD, I quickly realized how much this type of work means to me because I had to learn how to be okay with discomfort and uncertainty myself. I’ve been practicing as a licensed therapist since 2016. My graduate work is in mental health counseling, and I use Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy because it’s the gold standard of OCD treatment.
Show more
Tamara Harrison
Tamara Harrison
Licensed Therapist, MA

I have personally struggled with OCD and know what it's like to feel controlled by intrusive thoughts and compulsions, and to also overcome it using the proper therapy. I’ve been a licensed therapist since 2017. I have an M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, and practice Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy. I know by experience how effective ERP is in treating OCD symptoms.
Show more
Andrew Moeller
Licensed Therapy, LMHC

I've been a licensed counselor since 2013, having run my private practice with a steady influx of OCD cases for several years. Out of all the approaches to OCD treatment that I've used, I find Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy to be the most effective. ERP goes beyond other methods and tackles the problem head-on. By using ERP in our sessions, you can look forward to better days ahead.
Show more
Adriana Delgado
Licensed Therapist, LMHC

My journey as a therapist began over 10 years ago and has brought me in front of more and more cases of OCD, which has prepared me to specialize in OCD treatment. I have experience working at intensive in-home services for children & families, and intensive outpatient programs, preparing me for any challenge you may be facing. During sessions, I use Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy because it’s the most effective treatment for OCD, and works for any OCD subtype.
Show more
Carly Samach
Licensed Therapist, LMHC

I’ve been working in the mental health field for over 7 years, with experience treating OCD within crisis and anxiety management. My experience as a crisis clinician allowed me to treat adolescents and children, while spending additional time updating and educating their parents. Regardless of age, OCD makes living with joy a challenge, which makes Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy so crucial in OCD care. ERP gets right to the problem, and once you've learned how to manage OCD, the joy of life can fully return.
Show more
Stephanie Fidgeon
Licensed Therapist, LISW

I've held a private practice for over 15 years, treating cases of anxiety and depression and seeing OCD come up as an underlying symptom. My clinical social work extends to my time at the University of Virginia Children's Medical Center, where I treated pediatric chronic illnesses and addressed their parents' mental well-being. I now specialize in OCD and Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy. Whatever subtype you're experiencing, I can help.
Show more
Taylor Newendorp
Licensed Therapist, MA

I started as a therapist over 14 years ago, working in different mental health environments. Many people with OCD that weren't being treated for it crossed my path and weren't getting better. I decided that I wanted to help people with OCD, so I became an OCD therapist, and eventually, a clinical supervisor. I treated people using Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) and saw people get better day in and day out. I continue to use ERP because nothing is more effective in treating OCD.
Show more
Madina Alam

When I started treating OCD, I quickly realized how much this type of work means to me because I had to learn how to be okay with discomfort and uncertainty myself. I’ve been practicing as a licensed therapist since 2016. My graduate work is in mental health counseling, and I use Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy because it’s the gold standard of OCD treatment.
Show more
Tamara Harrison
Licensed Therapist, MA

I have personally struggled with OCD and know what it's like to feel controlled by intrusive thoughts and compulsions, and to also overcome it using the proper therapy. I’ve been a licensed therapist since 2017. I have an M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, and practice Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy. I know by experience how effective ERP is in treating OCD symptoms.
Show more
Andrew Moeller
Licensed Therapy, LMHC

I've been a licensed counselor since 2013, having run my private practice with a steady influx of OCD cases for several years. Out of all the approaches to OCD treatment that I've used, I find Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) therapy to be the most effective. ERP goes beyond other methods and tackles the problem head-on. By using ERP in our sessions, you can look forward to better days ahead.
Show more
Adriana Delgado
Licensed Therapist, LMHC

Show more
Carly Samach
Licensed Therapist, LMHC

Show more
Stephanie Fidgeon
Licensed Therapist, LISW

Show more

Want to work with one of our therapists?
Schedule a free call to learn more.​

Book a free call
illustration-footer-purple-top.svg

Download the NOCD app​

Apple logo
Google Play Store logo
illustration-footer-purple-bottom.svg

Obsessive compulsive disorder - OCD treatment and therapy from NOCD
225 N Michigan
Suite 1430

False Memory OCD Symptoms​

False Memory obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an OCD subtype characterized by ongoing intrusive doubting thoughts and compulsive behavior around a past event. People with False Memory OCD experience frequent doubts about things that have happened to them and may be convinced they’ve done something wrong despite no evidence of these memories being true (e.g., “Did I accidentally steal and don’t remember?”). The recurrent doubting thoughts are often viewed as an indication that their fears are true (e.g., “if I’m so concerned I stole, then I must have. Otherwise, why am I thinking about it?”), which fuels anxiety about their memories and drives people struggling with these thoughts to engage in various compulsions aimed at gaining certainty about their memories (e.g., asking for continual reassurance from a friend about whether you accidentally stole something, or searching through your home for the receipt).
Most people with False Memory OCD find their doubting obsessions can feel impossible to let go of. Their false memories can feel like real events. The more the person fixates on them, the more their brain may fill in these false memories with even more false information, further convincing themselves they are guilty of things they haven’t done. Furthermore, even though behaviors aimed at feeling more certain of one’s memory (e.g., repeated checking) might seem to increase confidence in memory accuracy, research actually shows the opposite: these behaviors actually decrease one’s confidence in their memory (Cuttler & Graf, 2009).
Alcohol use can play a significant role in False Memory OCD. When a person can’t clearly remember what happened for long periods of time, their OCD may take over and start spinning tales of false memories.
Let’s say Joe is in a committed relationship. He was drinking one night and can’t exactly remember everything that happened at the bar with his friend. He has a hazy memory of a brief interaction with a woman. He might begin to fixate on this specific interaction and wonder: “Did anything else besides a brief conversation take place between us? Did I cheat on my partner last night? How can I be certain?” Joe’s uncertainty and anxiety may feel overwhelming and drive him toward compulsive behaviors in order to alleviate it. This could look like asking his friend to recall what happened last night. Do they remember you interacting with anyone? Was it a normal interaction? Joe may also be compelled to find physical evidence, like asking the bar for last night’s video footage, just to be sure. These compulsions only ease the person’s anxiety temporarily. For someone with OCD, eventually, the anxieties start up again. (e.g., Joe might start thinking, “Yes, my friend told me he saw me interact with this woman, and we only exchanged a few words, but what if something happened when he stepped outside?”)
In some cases, False Memory OCD can have devastating consequences for a person’s life. A person could be convinced that they committed a terrible act, even if there’s no evidence to prove this. Out of shame, they could isolate themselves from others, convinced they are a bad person. In more extreme cases, people with False Memory OCD have been convinced they’ve committed a crime like murder and will confess because they believe they are guilty and should face punishment.
All NOCD Therapists are trained in ERP.
Book a free call to start your journey with a NOCD Therapist
Book a free call

False Memory OCD: Some Examples of Obsessive Thoughts​

• Did I do this immoral/taboo action?
  • Did I accidentally say something inappropriate to my friend yesterday?
  • Did I interrupt my partner when he spoke?
  • If I’m wondering about this, doesn’t it mean it’s true?
  • Did I hurt my brother or sister when we were younger and playing at the park?
  • When my sister fell and fractured her arm when we were children, was it actually because I pushed her? Would I have done something like that? Am I a bad person?
  • Did the person I “hooked up with” actually consent to sex with me?
  • Did I walk out of the restaurant without paying by mistake? Maybe it wasn’t by mistake. Was I trying to steal?
  • Did I touch my student inappropriately when they came to see me after class? Am I a pedophile? Did I purposely block this memory from my mind in order to forget that I am a bad person?

False Memory OCD: Some Examples of Compulsive Behaviors​

Mental review: A common False Memory OCD compulsion is to mentally review past experiences to try and prove or disprove your doubts about what happened. So if your obsessive thought is that you walked out of a restaurant without paying, you might try and review every single moment of that experience in your head. You’ll try to mentally replay when exactly the waiter came over, and the moment you asked for the bill. You might try to remember whether you paid with cash or a credit card. Wouldn’t they have said something if you tried to steal? Did anyone look at you? You might replay every past dining experience you can remember to reassure yourself that you have always remembered to pay and that you have never stolen anything in your life.
Reassurance seeking: People with False Memory OCD might turn to friends or other people who witnessed the memory in question in an effort to validate the information they are doubting. In this example, the person might call the restaurant to be sure they paid. They may ask the friend they were with or go back in person to confirm their bill was paid with the waiter. The questions may be more general as well, like asking a friend or family member: Have you ever walked out of a restaurant without paying? Do you think that could possibly happen?
Distracting, replacing, or suppressing thoughts: People with False Memory OCD may try to distract themselves from these obsessive thoughts, try to fill their mind with positive thoughts instead, or attempt to suppress their thoughts. They might repeat to themselves: I am not a thief. I have never stolen anything in my life.
Confessing: When someone with False Memory OCD has convinced themselves they are guilty of an action that happened in the past, they may confess to important figures in their life, or to authority figures on what they’ve done wrong. For example, a person may see a news report of a murder and become convinced they were the ones to do it on the basis that they cannot exactly remember what they were doing when the murder took place but recall being in the vicinity. They may turn themselves in on the basis that they think they may potentially be guilty, even though there is no evidence at all that they had done this.
Physical Checking: People with False Memory OCD may try to recreate a scene they have in their minds. They may physically revisit the location they are concerned about, try to access recorded footage, spend hours researching news archives about an event they may have possibly been implicated in.
Self-punishment or Avoidance: Someone may act on the guilt from what they may have done in an effort to ease their anxiety. For example, if someone is convinced they have forgotten to pay at a restaurant, they may decide that the best course of action is to never eat at this restaurant again, for fear that they’ll be publicly identified as a thief.
Even though everyone might have doubts about what they’ve done in the past or worry that they may have forgotten to pay at a restaurant at one point or another, these thoughts usually leave a person’s mind without much difficulty. That’s unfortunately not the case for someone with False Memory OCD. The fear of false memories does not go away once the person with OCD has gotten reasonable evidence they are innocent. Instead, their brain starts spinning further possibilities of uncertainty, creating new scenarios that start the obsessive-compulsive cycle over again. One criterion for a diagnosis of False Memory OCD is that a person spends at least one hour per day on these obsessions and compulsions. Often, the obsessions and compulsions can take control of a person and their ability to function in their everyday life.

False Memory OCD ERP Therapy​

The best course of treatment for False Memory OCD, like all types of OCD, is exposure and response prevention (ERP) therapy. ERP is considered the gold standard for OCD treatment and has been found 80% effective. The majority of patients experience results within 12 – 25 sessions. As part of ERP therapy, you’d be tracking your obsessions and compulsions around your false memory and making a list of how distressing each thought is. You’ll work with your therapist to slowly put yourself into situations that bring on your obsessions. This has to be carefully planned to ensure it’s effective and so that you’re gradually building toward your goal rather than moving too quickly and getting completely overwhelmed.

On the other hand, when you prevent yourself from engaging in your compulsions, you teach yourself a new way to respond and will very likely experience a noticeable reduction in your anxiety.

Example of False Memory OCD Exposures​

Let’s take the example where someone is afraid they’ve left a restaurant without paying and have decided to avoid this restaurant at all costs for fear of being identified as a thief. A therapist may work with you to eventually face your fear and dine at this restaurant again. This may take time, especially if this exposure feels overwhelming and touches on one of your biggest fears (public humiliation). Together with your therapist, you’ll work to rank different exposures by difficulty. A less stressful exposure in this scenario might be to repeat to yourself, “I may or may not have walked out of this restaurant without paying. It’s impossible to know for sure.” ERP therapy aims to acquaint you with uncertainty and become more comfortable with it so that the anxiety of the unknown no longer feels as terrifying or unmanageable.
Other exposures for False Memory OCD may be to prevent yourself from seeking reassurance about a particular event you’re unsure about. Instead of calling friends or trying to verify a particular event by researching news reports, a therapist might have you describe this memory as if it actually happened, walk through the worst-case scenario, and what this might mean for your life. If you’ve spent years avoiding speaking about a false memory, this might sound terrifying, but the intention is that once you’ve mentally walked through the worst-case scenario in your mind, it will no longer hold as much of a grip on you.

How to Get Help for False Memory OCD​

False Memory OCD might be difficult to pinpoint because it’s not what people traditionally associate with OCD. A person with this subtype may also be convinced their memories are real, and not a part of False Memory OCD. However, a mental health professional who specializes in OCD will be able to make an accurate diagnosis. If you’re interested in learning about False Memory OCD and how it’s treated with ERP, you can schedule a free call with the NOCD care team to find out how treatment can help you. Also, you can join our false memory OCD community and get 24/7 access to personalized self-management tools built by people who have been through OCD and successfully recovered.
All NOCD therapists specialize in OCD and receive ERP-specific training and ongoing guidance from our clinical leadership team. Several of them have even dealt with OCD themselves and understand how crucial ERP therapy is. NOCD offers live face-to-face video therapy sessions with OCD therapists, in addition to ongoing support on the NOCD telehealth app, so that you’re fully supported during the course of your treatment.

Learn more about False Memory OCD​

Nicholas Farrell, Ph.D

Nicholas R. Farrell, Ph.D. is a psychologist and the Regional Clinical Director at NOCD where he provides clinical leadership and direction for our teletherapy services. In this role, he works closely with our clinical leadership team to provide a high-quality training and developmental experience for all of our therapists with the aim of maximizing treatment effectiveness and improving our members’ experience. Dr. Farrell received his master's and doctoral degrees in Clinical Psychology from the University of Wyoming (Laramie, WY, USA). He served as a graduate research assistant in the Anxiety Disorders Research Laboratory at the University of Wyoming from 2010 to 2015 and completed his predoctoral internship training as a psychology resident at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton (Ontario, Canada).
Show more
Tags|OCD SubtypesOCD SymptomsOCD Treatment

NOCD Therapists specialize in treating False Memory OCD​

View all therapists

Adriana Delgado
Licensed Therapist, LMHC
Show more
Carly Samach
Licensed Therapist, LMHC
Show more
Stephanie Fidgeon
Licensed Therapist, LISW
Show more
Taylor Newendorp
Taylor Newendorp
Licensed Therapist, MA
Show more
Madina Alam
Madina Alam
Show more
Tamara Harrison
Tamara Harrison
Licensed Therapist, MA
Show more
Andrew Moeller
Licensed Therapy, LMHC
Show more
Adriana Delgado
Licensed Therapist, LMHC
Show more
Carly Samach
Licensed Therapist, LMHC
Show more
Stephanie Fidgeon
Licensed Therapist, LISW
Show more
Taylor Newendorp
Licensed Therapist, MA
Show more
Madina Alam
Show more
Tamara Harrison
Licensed Therapist, MA
Show more
Andrew Moeller
Licensed Therapy, LMHC
Show more
Adriana Delgado
Licensed Therapist, LMHC
Show more
Carly Samach
Licensed Therapist, LMHC
Show more
Stephanie Fidgeon
Licensed Therapist, LISW
Show more

Want to work with one of our therapists?​

Schedule a free call to learn more.​

Book a free call
illustration-footer-purple-top.svg

Download the NOCD app​

Apple logo
Google Play Store logo
illustration-footer-purple-bottom.svg

Obsessive compulsive disorder - OCD treatment and therapy from NOCD
225 N Michigan
Suite 1430

Cage at these world class scammers

Why not just get into zodiac if you are so desperate for those "hey, thats totally me!" moments after reading a generalized, barely meaningful description of some of your streams of thought?

• Hmm...
Reactions: Lynx
How lucky you are there are cams and police everywhere. 100 years ago I would've skin you alive and make you sing all types of yiddish songs fucking weak low IQ midget.
Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Yes and these retards in this thread don't understand what the intrusive thoughts are actually like, some will straight up cause panic attacks.

I also have false memories

• +1
Idk but I had OCD for a bit in the psych ward - I was taking hour long showers to wash every inch of my body, flossing till my gums bled, and washing hands so much that the skin on the back of my hand dried out.

• Woah
I remember I went through a phase where my mind would tell me to grope, rape a girl whenever I stood next to one. It was bizzarre. I wasn’t even horny or anything, purely intrusive thoughts. Similar stuff like that still happens to this day, it just takes on different forms.

I remember I went through a phase where my mind would tell me to grope, rape a girl whenever I stood next to one. It was bizzarre. I wasn’t even horny or anything, purely intrusive thoughts. Similar stuff like that still happens to this day, it just takes on different forms.
I used to have similar thoughts sometimes. Not like my mind would telling me to grope but the fear that i would mistakenly grope or rape somebody.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16369
@ReadBooksEveryday what kind of ocd do you have?

• +1
Reactions: ReadBooksEveryday
I get ocd hypochondriac thoughts about having cancer/heart disease or nutrition and electrolytes etc. due to a fear of looksmining and death it's been preventing me from living as freely as I can I want to be an animalistic mogger who isn't scared to of death

Doesn't everyone have thoughts like these sometimes? I feel like people are mis-diagnosing themselves with stuff like this.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Lynx, Magnum Opus and Deleted member 17872
Doesn't everyone have thoughts like these sometimes? I feel like people are mis-diagnosing themselves with stuff like this.
Lifefuel if true but in my case it's severe.

And the thoughts are nit minor but about serious sins and taboos which makes me hate myself.

I'm beginning to doubt everything about myself.

• +1
Reactions: LiteralCaucasian
I was never diagnosed with anything but I definitely had OCD traits and intrusive thoughts when I was younger
Now I don't really have anything like that (but I'm not sure about the thoughts, it depends on the definition I guess)

• +1
Reactions: autistic_tendencies
I may be low tier normie ethnic but I’m a chadlite emotionally and mentally

• Woah