Does gymcelling increase facial bloat?

B

Broski

Zephir
Before discovering the gym I was 58kg at 5'10. I'm boneless yet my face was hollow.

Now I'm 69kg and my face looks a lot more bloated despite my body fat not being significantly higher than before (I still have visible 6-pack).

Does your face get bigger just from gaining mass (fat and muscle) or is it just fr.higher body fat percentage? I must also note in order to achieve a light surplus my diet has been pretty dirty over the course of 8 months (fast food almost every day) since I'm time constrained and burn a lot of calories due to my job.

• +1
Reactions: Moggie
11 kgs over 10 months is a decent amount but not too much, assuming 2 kg was glycogen storage and water weight, that leaves 9 kgs over this period, it is said that 2lbs (0.9 kgs) is the max lean mass you can gain per month and this speed only lasts for between 6 - 12 months of lifting weights routinely, and also that you can only gain muscle at a 1:1 ratio with fat, I do not believe that you have to gain equal amounts of fat and muscle and think that you can gain 2lbs of lean mass without gaining that much fat in the beginning granted of course you will gain some fat. You have gained at this rate so I don't think you will have gained excessive fat during your bulk.

Anyway, get a dexa scan and see what it says, someone can be 10% bodyfat without visible abs and 16% with visible abs, this is because abs are muscles and if you exercise of course you will build abs indirectly, so visibility of abs is not the best aproximator for body fat percentage below 18% for train individuals. Facial bloating, I do not know much about this so cant comment.

If you are above 15% body fat then you should cut, cutting would only take about 2 months or so then you can think about if you want to bulk again or if you are happy with the progress and maintain.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Broski
11 kgs over 10 months is a decent amount but not too much, assuming 2 kg was glycogen storage and water weight, that leaves 9 kgs over this period, it is said that 2lbs (0.9 kgs) is the max lean mass you can gain per month and this speed only lasts for between 6 - 12 months of lifting weights routinely, and also that you can only gain muscle at a 1:1 ratio with fat, I do not believe that you have to gain equal amounts of fat and muscle and think that you can gain 2lbs of lean mass without gaining that much fat in the beginning granted of course you will gain some fat. You have gained at this rate so I don't think you will have gained excessive fat during your bulk.

Anyway, get a dexa scan and see what it says, someone can be 10% bodyfat without visible abs and 16% with visible abs, this is because abs are muscles and if you exercise of course you will build abs indirectly, so visibility of abs is not the best aproximator for body fat percentage below 18% for train individuals. Facial bloating, I do not know much about this so cant comment.

If you are above 15% body fat then you should cut, cutting would only take about 2 months or so then you can think about if you want to bulk again or if you are happy with the progress and maintain.
I'm thinking of bulking to 75kg but atm I'm only gaining 0.5-1kg per month, I only want to cut as my face feels quite bloated.

• +1

Screenshot 20220702 133959
heres my 6 month weight chart

• +1
I'm thinking of bulking to 75kg but atm I'm only gaining 0.5-1kg per month, I only want to cut as my face feels quite bloated.
Yeah there is something called a mini cut but I do not know much about it. Cutting can be hard as you have to make sure you get enough protein to not lose your lean mass and to not go too agressive, better to be a bit conservative on a cut. People can have issues with energy on cuts.

Ok that is a good target, if you are 69 kg at 14% body fat currently at assuming 178 cm (5'10) that gives you an ffmi of 18.73, bulking to 75 kg gaining fat at 0.5% per month approx, gets you 17% body fat and an ffmi of 19.65 so pretty good.

Next for the cut so you would have 62.25kg of fat free mass, during a cut you will lose sum of this but at a lower rate relative to the fat you gained during the bulk, it is easier to burn fat than build muscle. Cutting to 10% would give you an ffmi of 19.34 at 68kg and a loss of about 1kg of lean mass. From here you could do another bulk then cut, after this you could maintain.

• +1
Anyway I am only 2 months into a bulk myself this is just result of me looking into it a bit.

• +1
you are probably just bloated from excess sodium that comes with eating more for gym gains. Creatine does this as well

• +1
Reactions: copemaxxeer, Chinlet Ascension, Broski and 1 other person
View attachment 1761553heres my 6 month weight chart
Yeah those peaks and troughs can be caused by cardio or imbalance between Sodium and Potassium and/or a electrolyte imbalance, it is normal to fluctuate a 1kg during a day and to lose about 2kgs after cardio. The jump at the start is water weight and glycogen storage.

Last edited:
Yeah those peaks and troughs can be caused by cardio or imbalance between Sodium and Potassium or a electrolyte imbalance, it is normal to fluctuate a 1kg during a day and to lose about 2kgs after cardio. The jump at the start is water weight and glycogen storage.
Screenshot 20220702 1344412
this is the full chart from November. As you can see my weight gain has tapered down significantly. And I started weighing myself everyday in the morning since january hence the fluctuations.

• +1
you are probably just bloated from excess sodium that comes with eating more for gym gains. Creatine does this as well
So it's only temporary and should disappear on a cut right? Obviously will eat a clean diet on a cut and I don't take any supplements at all.

• +1
View attachment 1761579this is the full chart from November. As you can see my weight gain has tapered down significantly. And I started weighing myself everyday in the morning since january hence the fluctuations.
I think you went too agressive with the caloric surplus at the start, maybe gained about 1kg of needless fat but the rest looks good tbh, your pace probably dropped of as, as your weight increases the amount needed in surplus to gain extra weight increase and also muscle is more expensive calorically than fat, don't know the exact ratio though.

• +1
So it's only temporary and should disappear on a cut right? Obviously will eat a clean diet on a cut and I don't take any supplements at all.
Of course, fat is fat.

yeah probably, just eat a lot of bananas and drink water more

• +1
Reactions: Broski and Moggie
yeah probably, just eat a lot of bananas and drink water more
Potatoes and green vegetables like spinach and broccoli, even black coffee is a decent source aswell.

• +1
Reactions: twilight and Broski
No

what a retard

Yes OP you should stop gymaxxing if you don't want to end up like this
shuffle truffle GIF

• JFL
Reactions: Growth Plate
View attachment 1761579this is the full chart from November. As you can see my weight gain has tapered down significantly. And I started weighing myself everyday in the morning since january hence the fluctuations.
what app is that?

Before discovering the gym I was 58kg at 5'10. I'm boneless yet my face was hollow.

Now I'm 69kg and my face looks a lot more bloated despite my body fat not being significantly higher than before (I still have visible 6-pack).

Does your face get bigger just from gaining mass (fat and muscle) or is it just fr.higher body fat percentage? I must also note in order to achieve a light surplus my diet has been pretty dirty over the course of 8 months (fast food almost every day) since I'm time constrained and burn a lot of calories due to my job.
Gym as a chore instead of a hobby = cortisol = bloat

• +1