Does NAC accelerate aging or decelerate? (π’‰π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰ π’Šπ’’ 𝒄𝒆𝒍𝒔 π’‹π’π’Šπ’)

G

greycel

Bronze
If you are taking N-Acetyl cysteine (NAC), you should be taking 600mg x 2 daily.

It is good for its role in antioxidant production. Along with two other amino acids β€” glutamine and glycine β€” NAC is necessary to make and replenish glutathione.

I have noticed that after taking this for many months, my skin has started to sag. So I decided to search up whether it had any effect on Collagen and look what we have here :what:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...e-1 (MMP,of Transcription 3 (Stat3) Signaling

Okay, so it promotes MMP-1. What does MMP-1 do?

Another study:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/196...l cysteine (NAC),in rat palatal mucosal cells

Another study:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0944711313000950

BUT:

https://www.liverdoctor.com/n-acety...d inflammation,cells and especially the liver.

Over here it says that it actually helps with reducing the effects of aging.

Another Study:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/359...Adults,Hallmarks: A Randomized Clinical Trial

tldr: I don't know what to believe. On one hand, it says that it helps with the effects of aging and on the other it decreases collagen production. Can someone shine some light onto this. :unsure:

:)(y)
@TheHandcel

Attachments

• 1695141574202.png
    1695141574202.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1695141785786.png
    1695141785786.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1901 and garoupilled_
you arent high iq just for googling a bunch of pubmed articles retard

I know, I want somebody who is smarter in this field to help me. I don't know anything about this.
I don't think you really understand. But no, it doesn't. Cysteine is a glutathione precursor. It breaks down in the body and the cells form glutathione inside from it. I take it daily. Glutathione repairs DNA. So no it doesn't accelerate aging. It decelerates aging by allowing the cells to repair their dna damage.

• +1
Reactions: greycel
From what it seems the MMP-1 expression is lowered in smaller NAC doses and increased in higher dosages (like the one you're taking)

Bottom line personally I'd cut down the dosage and see if your skin improves back, you'll have to find the sweet spot between balancing the enzyme production and antioxidant benefits

• +1
From what it seems the MMP-1 expression is lowered in smaller NAC doses and increased in higher dosages (like the one you're taking)

Bottom line personally I'd cut down the dosage and see if your skin improves back, you'll have to find the sweet spot between balancing the enzyme production and antioxidant benefits
Or do you think I should completely remove it, as I have access to S-Acetyl L glutathione, which is I think over 3x more potent than NAC and more bioavailable.
Is NAC + Glycine combo overrated?

• +1
Reactions: garoupilled_
totally drop it and see if your skin improves/doesn't keep getting worse for a few months, then eventually go back on it and see if it starts getting worse again all of a sudden, only way to totally know for yourself is to guinea pig it. i did this with mk-677 when i found out it was making me more tan (which was definitely the case).

• +1
Reactions: garoupilled_ and greycel
totally drop it and see if your skin improves/doesn't keep getting worse for a few months, then eventually go back on it and see if it starts getting worse again all of a sudden, only way to totally know for yourself is to guinea pig it. i did this with mk-677 when i found out it was making me more tan (which was definitely the case).
I wouldn't be able to tell though, because I can't regain lost collagen. If I keep using it, I risk it getting worse. But, I could be losing collagen due to mineral deficiencies due to taking MSM, as it depletes ZINC and that causes loss of collagen too.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 19766
I wouldn't be able to tell though, because I can't regain lost collagen. If I keep using it, I risk it getting worse. But, I could be losing collagen due to mineral deficiencies due to taking MSM, as it depletes ZINC and that causes loss of collagen too.
Reread what I said, as long as it doesn't worsen then that still means something, then hop on it again after a bit and see if it continues worsening. If it does, then let us know and totally drop it.

This is because you need some ROS production. Completely reducing ROS is also pro aging

• Woah
This is because you need some ROS production. Completely reducing ROS is also pro aging
Fuck have I fucked myself then.
I’ve been taking MSM 4000mg, Vitamin C 2000mg, NAC 1200mg for around 1 year straight half a year back I stopped. Continue Vitamin C and started S Acetyl Glutathione 100mg daily.

IMG 0794

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23738047/#:~:text=Antioxidants%20can%20attenuate%20the%20damaging,that%20contribute%20to%20cellular%20aging.

My Elasticity and Collagen have dropped so suddenly. I used to have amazing skin, but when I stopped now I look deflated af. Tbh this is the same time I stopped my moderate skincare routine that I was doing for 2 months.

How do I fix this, maybe the effects are not permanent.

• +1
Reactions: BrahminBoss
Fuck have I fucked myself then.
I’ve been taking MSM 4000mg, Vitamin C 2000mg, NAC 1200mg for around 1 year straight half a year back I stopped. Continue Vitamin C and started S Acetyl Glutathione 100mg daily.

View attachment 2830607
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23738047/#:~:text=Antioxidants%20can%20attenuate%20the%20damaging,that%20contribute%20to%20cellular%20aging.

My Elasticity and Collagen have dropped so suddenly. I used to have amazing skin, but when I stopped now I look deflated af. Tbh this is the same time I stopped my moderate skincare routine that I was doing for 2 months.
eating saturated fat (minimising PUFA) and sugar (From fruits or honey or table) can kickstart ROS production again to healthy levels, vitamin C ive heard the supplement ones are contaminated so could be maybe also from that. NAC is good for heavy metal detox but i dont see the point in taking it as its not even the rate limiting factor for glutathione (although it does have some anti oxidant effects on its own), that would be glycine.

• Love it
eating saturated fat (minimising PUFA) and sugar (From fruits or honey or table) can kickstart ROS production again to healthy levels, vitamin C ive heard the supplement ones are contaminated so could be maybe also from that. NAC is good for heavy metal detox but i dont see the point in taking it as its not even the rate limiting factor for glutathione (although it does have some anti oxidant effects on its own), that would be glycine.
Dang bro, you really know your stuff. I’ve heard about limiting PUFAs, may have to look into that.
Been using some cheap ass Vit C. I’ll try liposmal vitamin C too. Thinking L Ascorbic Acid.

Okay so supplement Glycine with S Acetyl Glutathione.

Did a blood test recently, and all my vitamins and nutrients were in normal range. But from what you are saying, most of this is diet related.

Man, my hair quality has changed suddenly. Become extremely dry. I’ve lost a shit ton of hair density way more than anybody I’ve seen online in the last few months. Not really a receding hairline though. My malar and periorbital fats have also suddenly dropped. Does this point to an issue with an excess of DHT. Fucking my hair, elastin and collagen. What would you recommend?

Last edited:
unless you have specific polymorphisms that inhibit your ability to generate antioxidants, you don't need to be supplementing with NAC

your body is good at keeping homeostasis

when you supplement externally, you're more likely to develop dependence

not only that, but a too high proportion of antioxidants can actually produce a pro-oxidant effect

• +1