Don’t mew if you plan on getting MSE

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
Disclaimer: I am not an orthotropics expert. Take this post with a grain of salt.

Why shouldn’t you mew if you’re going to get MSE in the future?

Mewing expands the palate by pushing the teeth farther apart, but it doesn’t expand the bone of the maxilla. On the contrary, MSE expands the lower maxilla and the zygomatic bones in addition to the dental arch.

You see, the amount of expansion you can get with MSE is limited based on the width of your palate before MSE. If you already have a wide palate, you won’t be able to use MSE to get a large amount of expansion or your palate will become too wide. Likewise, if your palate is narrow to begin with, your potential to expand with MSE is vast.

Since mewing expands the teeth, every millimeter of expansion you get from mewing is a millimeter less of expansion you can get from MSE. And because MSE widens the cheekbones, a millimeter of MSE expansion is superior to a millimeter of mewing expansion.

Let’s say, for example, your intermolar width is 35 mm. If you get MSE to expand your 35 mm IMW to 45 mm, you can get up to 10 mm of cheekbone expansion. However, if you hard-mew for a year or two—expanding your IMW to, say, 37 mm—and then get MSE to expand to 45 mm, you’d then only have 8 mm of cheekbone expansion available. 2 mm narrower cheekbones may not sound like much, but it’s looksmaxxing, and you need every millimeter of bone you can get.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: 000, Deleted member 5385 and retard
thecel

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 2729 and Deleted member 17829

• JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 5539, Chadeep, Nisse and 4 others
mewing doesn’t bring out your teeth like that bro. there is like a 1-2 mm minimum of teeth only expansion you can get, because it is restricted by how much alveolar bone your teeth can slide over to, anymore and it might cause your teeth to be mobile and wobbly like @jawhacks front teeth from AGGA, but no one is gonna ever achieve this with mewing anyway.

in my case my molars have torqued outward and my orthodontist is gonna work in torquing it inward after MSE

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6400, Incoming and thecel
Dumb advice, mewing does not expand the palate laterally by much unless you are hard mewing, and even then the gains would be minimal. Telling people to avoid natural tongue posture will only make them more recessed

• +1
Reactions: SPFromNY914, 000, bigmike69 and 3 others
You usually post good stuff but you just went full retard on this one

• JFL
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: SPFromNY914, kuroro, Chadeep and 5 others
mewing won’t drastically widen the palate but you are right in your logic, for someone with already low imw this wouldn’t matter but for someone like me who has 42 imw, every mm matters when considering how much you can get with mse, and if I didn’t mew I could of probably expand another ~3mm then what I can expand when I get mse next year

although it is right in theory, anyone considering mse has certainly mewed for atleast 6 months and have reached their maximum IMW increases that mewing would give, so it isnt really practical

just use your buccinators to narrow your dental arch to expand more with mse theory :lul:

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Lmao, thecel and Deleted member 5385
Disclaimer: I am not an orthotropics expert. Take this post with a grain of salt.

Why shouldn’t you mew if you’re going to get MSE in the future?

Mewing expands the palate by pushing the teeth farther apart, but it doesn’t expand the bone of the maxilla. On the contrary, MSE expands the lower maxilla and the zygomatic bones in addition to the dental arch.

You see, the amount of expansion you can get with MSE is limited based on the width of your palate before MSE. If you already have a wide palate, you won’t be able to use MSE to get a large amount of expansion or your palate will become too wide. Likewise, if your palate is narrow to begin with, your potential to expand with MSE is vast.

Since mewing expands the teeth, every millimeter of expansion you get from mewing is a millimeter less of expansion you can get from MSE. And because MSE widens the cheekbones, a millimeter of MSE expansion is superior to a millimeter of mewing expansion.

Let’s say, for example, your intermolar width is 35 mm. If you get MSE to expand your 35 mm IMW to 45 mm, you can get up to 10 mm of cheekbone expansion. However, if you hard-mew for a year or two—expanding your IMW to, say, 37 mm—and then get MSE to expand to 45 mm, you’d then only have 8 mm of cheekbone expansion available. 2 mm narrower cheekbones may not sound like much, but it’s looksmaxxing, and you need every millimeter of bone you can get.

I really doubt that so called “mewing” thing can work in adults buy the general idea under your post is correct: any prior camouflage treatment, with braces or many other treatments that claim to have skeletal effects suck as twin blocks, Herbst, Invisalign with mandibular advancement (ITMA) works against any posterior skeletal treatment, no matter if it is MSE or SMARPE/SARME/SARPE/DOME/EASE (to me the difference between these last are insignificant, so I put them in the same batch) , Le fort, BSSO, MSDO, IMDO, bimax....

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, NegativeNorwood, ChristianChad and 2 others
works against any posterior skeletal treatment,
What do you mean by this could you explain?
so called “mewing” thing can work in adults
The skeletal structure has this thing called bone remodeling which is constantly operating with perhaps the driver of its rate being growth hormone levels (I’m not certain about this growhomrone statement part). It’s there to ensure structural integrity at all times. So for instance I’m sure you wont disagree with me that braces work at basically any age… braces work via bone resorption and then deposition (remodeling) the same thingg Fffggggg occurred when we Mew and chew. Brown resorbs at the mid face and is deposited at the cheekbone and related regions because these are the loading sights. This is the skeletal structure maintaining structural integrety. Boost growth hormone levels for faster remodeling. The other struggles we face at older ages is that our skulls have more mass thus more things to move and change, and our skull sutures are open but very inactive. For all intensive purposes it’s like they are closed. That said the tongue does have sufficient force to split these sutures.

Conclusion: mewing must work by law (Wolff's law) at every age. But is limited by a variaty of factors some of which I mentioned here

sorry about the typos but I won’t fix them.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
  • Love it
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer, Deleted member 16853, datboijj and 1 other person