Don’t Rely on Machines

RealNinja

RealNinja

Silver
Lots of people nowadays like passing up heavy squats, barbell/dumbbell rows, deadlifts, OHP, etc in exchange for machines like leg extension, hammer strength row, and shoulder press. I’m not at all a powerlifting boomer who squats 4 times a week, but the boomers are right in telling beginners to get good at free weight compound movements.

You become more injury prone by never doing the hard lifts. Your core and spinal erectors become weak. Sitting on a leg extension or shoulder press machine requires no stabilization effort from the rest of your body. Your physique doesn’t develop to be as well rounded. Lat pulldowns are not going to give your back real density.

As a beginner, it’s worth getting strong on the basics. Squats, heavy BB/DB rows, standing overhead press, etcetera have great carryover to machines. It doesn’t really work the other way around.

• +1
Reactions: looks>books and twojei
Lots of people nowadays like passing up heavy squats, barbell/dumbbell rows, deadlifts, OHP, etc in exchange for machines like leg extension, hammer strength row, and shoulder press. I’m not at all a powerlifting boomer who squats 4 times a week, but the boomers are right in telling beginners to get good at free weight compound movements.

You become more injury prone by never doing the hard lifts. Your core and spinal erectors become weak. Sitting on a leg extension or shoulder press machine requires no stabilization effort from the rest of your body. Your physique doesn’t develop to be as well rounded. Lat pulldowns are not going to give your back real density.

As a beginner, it’s worth getting strong on the basics. Squats, heavy BB/DB rows, standing overhead press, etcetera have great carryover to machines. It doesn’t really work the other way around.
Thank you for the reminder.

• +1
Reactions: RealNinja
Whats funny is I mostly see boomers using the machines while the younger people are in the free weight area

Whats funny is I mostly see boomers using the machines while the younger people are in the free weight area
Well actual boomers use machines because it’s safer for their joints and doesn’t have as much risk. But I see young guys my age on cables and machines a lot. They’ll do dumbbell curls and shit like that but rarely ever see them squatting, deadlifting, rowing, shoulder pressing with free weights. Might just be cause I go to a commercial gym, it’s better than planet fitness but not a serious BB/powerlifting gym

• +1
Reactions: DavidLaidMaxxing