Double eyelid creases

Racky

Racky

Diamond
What are epicanthal folds?

People often confuse epicanthal folds with monolids, because East Asians tend to have both traits.
All people with monolids have some sort of epicanthal folds, but not all people with epicanthal folds have monolids.
Monolids are characterized by a lack of supratarsal crease, "double eyelid".
The epicanthal fold is a semilunar-shaped flap of skin that descends from the upper eyelid towards the nose, somehow hiding part, or all of the lacrimal caruncle(pink thing located in inner eye corner) in the process.

This foid has a supratarsal crease (double eyelid) on the left, and a monolid on the right. Brutal asymmetry. Both her eyes have (mild) epicanthal folds that hide part of the lacrimal caruncle :

But there is more to double eyelid creases. There are 3 types of double eyelid creases.

Far left are double eyelids with mild epicanthal folds.
Center are "in-fold", or "nasally tapered" double eyelid creases, characterized by very low medial crease height, that is lower than the central crease's height.
Far right are "outfold" double eyelid creases, where the medial crease height is almost equal to the central crease height.

Ice hooding and double eyelid creases

Ice hooding, or just generally adding fat in the upper eyelid which can also be done through lipofilling agents, affects (double) eyelid creases differently.

If you have in-fold double eyelid creases, you can fraud mild epicanthal folds. Ice hooding will decrease the height of your medial crease to the point you will appear to have epicanthal folds(though you don't). This might not be a good idea (?) since it will hide your lacrimal caruncle more. You might also get a longer medial crease that make your eyes look more positively tilted and give definition to your medial canthus tilt, not sure if it's a good thing but it has a similar effect as when foids use eyeliner :

If you have mild epicanthal folds, same thing happens but more pronounced.

Illustration of the concept.
Example of someone with in-fold (?) double eyelid creases who ice hooded :
@blackpillmemez on IG
Blackpillmemez crease

Unfortunately, we do not have the best picture for that example's "before", and I'm not even sure he ice hooded. But let's assume he did, he is a "looksmaxxer" after all and those look like ice hooding results.
Notice how the crease gives more definition to his medial canthus tilt. His central crease reduced so much that he appears to have near monolids, but those aren't monolids. They are double eyelids with very low crease heights. Model Tyson Beckford is similar, he has very low crease heights but double eyelids.

Example of someone with mild epicanthal folds ice hooding
@Racky

Note that in the first image that example was much younger and there are other things that changed his eye area other than icehooding. He believes his supraorbital ridge and infraorbital rims grew a bit during puberty just based off how eyebrow placement and shape changed for example.
Notice how the crease got deeper and longer, going downward towards the nose.

Example of someone with outfold double eyelid creases ice hooding
@bigjuicy's results :

the height of the central and medial crease decreased but not to the point where he got results of previous examples.

Questions and ideas

Some people with in-fold might not want to affect their medial crease when ice hooding, and some people with mild epicanthal folds might not want for them to become more pronounced and reduce lacrimal caruncle show more. Could ice hooding by using an ice cube, and specifically targeting the central crease while avoiding the medial crease, be a way to create more hooding while keeping your original medial crease height? Or will ice hooding, regardless of where on the upper eyelid you do it, produce fat in the entire upper eyelid?

Some people have out-fold double eyelid creases with no epicanthal folds, but their lacrimal caruncle is not well exposed, and the medial canthus has a pointy shape
The user @Aeonxdro is a great example of that

While people like the model Andreas Eriksen have very well exposed lacrimal caruncle, and their medial canthus has more of a roundish shape :

What determines lacrimal show and shape?
What is more ideal?
What are surgeries that could be considered?

What is the relationship between double eyelid crease anatomy and ancestry? We know epicanthal folds are very common with Asians, but from what I have seen it's also common for black Africans to have double eyelids with (mild) epicanthal folds. Evolutionary speaking, why did some people develop different types of eyelids?
What type of crease do you have and what's your ethnic background? What trends do you notice in personal experience? If you increased fat in your upper eyelid through methods like ice hooding, how were your medial and central crease heights affected?

Attachments

• 1659112620051.png
    1659112620051.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, StrangerDanger, Squirtle and 4 others
i dont see the problem with epicanthic folds

• Hmm...
Reactions: Racky
i dont see the problem with epicanthic folds
Depends on how severe they are and the type. Individual preferences or location too.
It can reduce PFL if very severe, and it can give off a tired appearance too.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
@thecel @enchanted_elixir @NegativeNorwood @Lorsss @StrangerDanger @8PSLcel @deepweb1298 @germanlooks @AscendingHero @hairyballscel @MisterMercedes @Kingkellz @Preston @Boldandbeautiful @MostGLSlayer @toolateforme

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, StrangerDanger and Squirtle
ive got a consult with an occuloplastic surgeon in september for a possible medial epicanthoplasty mainly to increase pfl. Dunno if its possible because my lacrimal caruncle already shows so increasing it might not be possible

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero and Racky
The reason for a monolid is a low nose bridge. A more prominent bridge pulls on the skin.

• Woah
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17791 and Racky
ive got a consult with an occuloplastic surgeon in september for a possible medial epicanthoplasty mainly to increase pfl. Dunno if its possible because my lacrimal caruncle already shows so increasing it might not be possible
Mind posting pictures?
Good luck man

The reason for a monolid is a low nose bridge. A more prominent bridge pulls on the skin.
Not sure about monolid but for the epicanthal fold what you are saying makes sense although epicanthal folds also seem to be related to eyelid muscles :

People with mild epicanthal fold can actually get an idea of how their eyes would look like if they were in-fold or out-fold eyelids by simply pulling the skin through pinching on the nose bridge between both eyes. Pinching more reveals the lacrimal caruncle completely and gives it roundish shape.
So I guess lacrimal show and eyelid crease is at least partly determined by nasal bridge projection and position? And the rest is muscle related. And so people like Eriksen have out-fold double eyelids with very well exposed lacrimal caruncle because of their top-tier nasal bridge that's pulling the skin that way?

So instead of getting epicanthoplasty, people with mild epicanthal folds + low/flat nasal bridges should opt for ways to fix both problems by addressing their nasal bridge.

This person did sub-dermal fillers on her nasal bridge and it affected her eyelid crease and lacrimal show :

Could volufiline be applied to the same area for the same effect, as a cheap DIY at-home alternative?

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, poopoohead and Deleted member 1901
Its not just low nose bridge, its the brow ridge if you project it further forward it will pull the skin. High nose bridge will lessen the epicanthal fold a tiny bit.
I had a nose job and my medial epicanthal fold didnt really change that much
Mind posting pictures?
Good luck man
nah i dont post pics

• +1
My eyelids are covered because of my brow ridge and not extra flaps of skin.:feelshah:

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead and Racky
My eyelids are covered because of my brow ridge and not extra flaps of skin.:feelshah:
Not implying it is. Tagged you because I thought this discussion might interest you.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 17791
Not implying it is. Tagged you because I thought this discussion might interest you.
I know. Don't you have eyes like Tyson Beckford?

• JFL
High quality post, thank you for this thread OP

• Love it
the problem with most asian eyes is the saggy fatty upper eyelids. epicanthal fold usually isnt the issue unless its extreme.

saggy
Happy smiling young handsome asian man face white background 195696321

what i like to call "dry" because the skin around the upper eyelid is really tight and not fatty
Hwang minhyun

• Woah
the problem with most asian eyes is the saggy fatty upper eyelids. epicanthal fold usually isnt the issue unless its extreme.

saggy
View attachment 1806477

what i like to call "dry" because the skin around the upper eyelid is really tight and not fatty
View attachment 1806478
This thread has not really said the contrary and what you are talking about are monolids caused by excess pretarsal fat(among other things)

Last edited:
bookmarked, asian eyes mog

• JFL
  • Woah
  • +1
Reactions: poopoohead, Racky and datboijj