Elastics with braces

GigaAryenMaxxer

GigaAryenMaxxer

Iron
This is my first real thread.

For every teen like me who has braces: you might also have an overbite, so your orthodontist gave you elastics. In theory, these elastics pull back the maxilla and push the mandible forward, as shown here.

Elastics often have a bad reputation because if you mouth-breathe, you can lose a lot of maxilla projection and experience significant downward growth of the mandible and maxilla.

But I think I've found a way to mitigate the loss of maxilla projection, and it's quite simple. To counteract the backward force of the elastics, you need something with equal strength pushing forward.

To counteract the elastics, you just need to maintain good tongue posture. The tongue has about 5 pounds of strength, which is more than sufficient to counter the force of the elastics.

I had this theory before getting elastics, and guess what happened afterward?

I didn't lose any maxilla projection, I fixed my bite, and I gained a lot of chin projection, which proves my theory.

Don't be scared of elastics—they changed my side profile for the better. Just avoid mouth-breathing and practice proper tongue posture (mewing) 24/7.

If you're still worried, you might consider thumb-pulling as well.

Hope this is lifefull! Braces ascended me greatly

• +1
Reactions: sexy and PeakIncels
Water Day Loop GIF by Pi-Slices

braces with elastics did exactly what you described. It downgrew me a bit, pulled my maxilla back while making my mandible longer. In my case it works in my favor since it isn't over the top, it gave me perfect scores in measurements. In some people this can be detrimental to their looks so this is a great thread, definetly worth talking about.

good shit op

• +1
Reactions: PeakIncels and MA_ascender
would it actually work? I'd consider getting braces to fix my overbite, but that means I have to mew hard everyday, everytime, and how do I deal with it when sleeping?

would it actually work? I'd consider getting braces to fix my overbite, but that means I have to mew hard everyday, everytime, and how do I deal with it when sleeping?
How can braces/elastics pull teeth backwards and cause recession if no tooth extractions are present? There is no empty space for teeth to be pulled in.

• Hmm...
Reactions: PeakIncels
Rubber bands don’t have any effect on your maxilla or mandible. If you have an overbite, they‘ll just pull your lower teeth forward and your upper teeth backward. Most people with overjets are just malnourished and need to chew more

Rubber bands don’t have any effect on your maxilla or mandible. If you have an overbite, they‘ll just pull your lower teeth forward and your upper teeth backward. Most people with overjets are just malnourished and need to chew more
and where the teeth are located ? Do you think they will bend or some shit ?

• +1
Reactions: sexy