ELI5: Why not just get an implant instead of orthognatic surgery? (Jaw experts GTFIH)

Deleted member 5583

Deleted member 5583

Less invasive and easier, you can even get them replaced perhaps. Why not just get the advancement from implants and genio? Don't tell me muh bones natural or something. It looks the same.

Jaw surgery is not only about looks

It fixes sleep apnea, bite and other shit, it's actually a normal and required procedure, not an aesthetic one, hence it's covered by health insurance
Ugliness is a disease

• +1
Reactions: LostYouth, Darkstrand, Edgar and 4 others
depends on what you need. for recessed maxilla you need lefort operations, for recessed chin or underbite a double jaw surgery would save you,
if your chin is short you can add length with implants only,
if you have problems with jaw angles and jaw width but no recession, then implants are the only way. side wing etc. doesn't require the best augmentation.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, Elias and Deleted member 5583
high chance of relapse in implants
plus it doesn't look as good as orthognstic surgery

depends on what you need. for recessed maxilla you need lefort operations, for recessed chin or underbite a double jaw surgery would save you,
if your chin is short you can add length,
if you have problems with jaw angles and jaw width but no recession, then implants are the only way. side wing etc. doesn't require the best augmentation.
What if you just get implants on a recessed chin to add projection and wraparound implants?
Jaw surgery is not only about looks

It fixes sleep apnea, bite and other shit, it's actually a normal and required procedure, not an aesthetic one, hence it's covered by health insurance
Ugliness is a disease
So I mean my recession causes me no problem it's just an aesthetic concern so can I just use an implant instead of treating the recession?

What if you just get implants on a recessed chin to add projection and wraparound implants?

So I mean my recession causes me no problem it's just an aesthetic concern so can I just use an implant instead of treating the recession?
then i'm imagining you like you have a good forward growth but recessed chin and bad gonial angle/narrow jaw width.
if this is you, then implants can work for you.

i have gonial angle like 130~135 and i have a jaw asymmetry.
however i have a good forward growth and aligned bite. no recession, fairly good enough chin/philtrum ratio (2.25).
so implants are the only way for me.
Analyze yourself better with your maxilla, jaw width, gonial angle, chin height etc.
Ask more about all those things to high iq users like @Elias.

• +1
Reactions: Elias and Deleted member 5583
then i'm imagining you like you have a good forward growth but recessed chin and bad gonial angle/narrow jaw width.
if this is you, then implants only can work for you.

i have gonial angle like 130~135 and i have a jaw asymmetry.
however i have a good forward growth and aligned bite. no recession, fairly good enough chin/philtrum ratio (2.25).
so implants are the only way for me.
Analyze yourself better with your maxilla, jaw width, gonial angle, chin height etc.
Ask more about all those things to high iq users like @Elias.
my maxilla is ok, I have very slight maxillary prognathism and my chin and lower third is way too short and recessed, like one in incel memes

my maxilla is ok, I have slight maxillary prognathism and my chin and lower third is way too short and recessed, like one in incel memes
my opinion on people like you , you must just to get an implant.
because jaw surgeries cannot give you enough projections to be good looking. i just like big jaws and chins and you cannot get them with osteotomies.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5583

How do you know it causes you no problem? Have you had polysomnography or cephalometry? Maybe you just grew used to your problems, LEGIT recession and health problems walk hand in hand

Go see a maxilofacial surgeon first

• +1
Reactions: ScramFranklin, randomvanish, StolenDays and 1 other person
wtf is ELI5
Explain like I'm 5
my opinion on people like you , you must just to get an implant.
because jaw surgeries cannot give you enough projections to be good looking. i just like big jaws and chins and you cannot get them with osteotomies.
so like, I have a malocclusion class II, my upper and lower teeth don't overlap and it's like an A shape occlusion. Is that still a problem. I got a fucking extraction and my incompetent dentist was about to push my maxilla backwards classing it as protrusion but I found out just in time

Last edited:
If you are recessed you will need jaw surgery, implants won't look good on a recessed face. Also looks are functional if you are ugly there is a functional issue with you, most of the time it's breathing difficulty due to recessed bones in your face.

• +1
Reactions: randomvanish and Deleted member 5583
Explain like I'm 5
No Implants for your recession, no implants for your airflow

And dont come with "but Chin implant can partially fix sleep apnea"

No it doesnt, the biggest difference between Implant and Genio, besides its obvious differences, is, that the Genio also moves the Genioglossus, both fixing and pulling forwards your tongue and fix airways a bit

Like another member here said, you cant even compare implants to functional surgery.
If you get a stuffed nose easily, mouth breathe and/or have bad sleep, you should get it

Also, if you cant touch your nose with your tongue, you need to get it also

• +1
Reactions: ScramFranklin, randomvanish and Deleted member 5583
Implants dont give forward growth

No Implants for your recession, no implants for your airflow

And dont come with "but Chin implant can partially fix sleep apnea"

No it doesnt, the biggest difference between Implant and Genio, besides its obvious differences, is, that the Genio also moves the Genioglossus, both fixing and pulling forwards your tongue and fix airways a bit

Like another member here said, you cant even compare implants to functional surgery.
If you get a stuffed nose easily, mouth breathe and/or have bad sleep, you should get it

Also, if you cant touch your nose with your tongue, you need to get it also
I don't mouthbreathe or have any functional issues honestly
Implants dont give forward growth
You mean maxillary forward growth? I don't need that, I need lower third forward growth which implants do give

I don't mouthbreathe or have any functional issues honestly
So you have good bones and are still somewhat ugly ?

Are you an ethnic or what ?
Implants wouldnt help you then either

So you have good bones and are still somewhat ugly ?

Are you an ethnic or what ?
Implants wouldnt help you then either
I don't have good bones. I'm not particularly ugly and my functional issues I meant sleep apnea and stuff.

I don't have good bones. I'm not particularly ugly and my functional issues I meant sleep apnea and stuff.
Well, send me a Ceph or proper Pics, and I can tell you

I only realized my functional issues after I got lookspilled and looked into Bimax etc.

But even then there was a phase of denial

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5583