Face pull with 3 way schwarz expander?

E

entropy137

Bronze
Already started palate expansion with non-surgical expander. Will a facemask with bands attached to it at an upward angle move the maxilla upward and forward or is the MSE absolutely necessary for it to work?
@CopeAndRope

Last edited:
Already started palate expansion with non-surgical expander. Will a facemask with bands attached to it at an upward angle move the maxilla upward and forward or is the MSE absolutely necessary for it to work?
@CopeAndRope
You do not need to split the maxillary suture to get rotation of the maxilla, that's only required for skeletal expansion of the maxilla, not movement. Yes a regular expander will work just fine, or a non-expanding anchor of any sort for that matter.

I know you want CopeAndRope's input but if you look at his facepulling thread he is using an anchoring device, not MSE

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: entropy137
You do not need to split the maxillary suture to get rotation of the maxilla, that's only required for skeletal expansion of the maxilla, not movement. Yes a regular expander will work just fine, or a non-expanding anchor of any sort for that matter.
That's good news for me. Do you recommend any particular facemask? I've been reading some people here say you need on that doesn't cover the chin to allow the mandible to keep up.

• +1
Reactions: Wincel
That's good news for me. Do you recommend any particular facemask? I've been reading some people here say you need on that doesn't cover the chin to allow the mandible to keep up.
Yes that's true, you want to build a headgear similar to CopeAndRope's, with a neck brace. I'm working on my own right now. Don't know of anyone selling a headgear like this.

• +1
Reactions: entropy137
I did adult palate expansion with homeoblock expanders about 5 years ago. About 0.220" upper, 0.360" lower. I estimate you get a small amount of forward expansion when you do palate expansion just from the radius of the expansion. Like a 6-1 ratio, so that would be 0.037" forward expansion for 0.220" in width expansion.

I had some dental work recently which has reinvigorated my interest in using my palate expanders. For the past six weeks I have been using one of upper expander again, finishing off the unused portion of the expander, and I am going to get an additional expander after this one is finished, so my total upper expansion will be like 0.360" (0.060" forward).

I have given a lot of thought to doing what you suggested. I have come to the conclusion that using a rigging to pull the expander forward would work, but in an unpredictable way. Since I don't need that much forward expansion I have decieded to not pursue it any further. but I do use my thumbs a few times a day to produce a forward force against my expander, I think this will help a tiny bit. Also I think a constant force on the expander could damage the expansion screw.

@CopeAndRope
I think an expanded or other will do just fine for forward growth, but have read somewhere that the suture break and lateral movement by mse can be a catalyst for faster forward movement bc it sets the bones in motion. Maybe not though