Finally started lifting consistently a few months ago to look less narrow and scrawny, how do you guys think I'm doing a few months in?

D

Deleted member 16607

Iron
Whats good my dudes. I posted a thread here a few weeks ago talking about how I finally decided to lift consistently and was curious about the changes in attention people got after getting bigger. My main motivation for starting to lift was to get stronger, as I had alwasy had somewhat of a lack of respect from my peers when I was younger due to being very physically weak. I also wanted to get bigger, but that was more of a secondary motivation so I didn't pay it much attention.

In regards to where I wanted to improve physically, I was hoping to build my back, lats, and shoulders to make myself look wider (this is by far the most underdeveloped part of my body, I could barely ohp the bar for more than 3 reps when I started) and also my triceps to hide my long and thin neck (you can see what I'm talking about in some of my old threads). I've been lifting consistently now for about 3 1/2 months and have built a decent amount of strength (progress has been slow, but not unbearably so).

I decided to take some progress pics and see how I have improved over these past few months and I'd love to see what you guys think. A lot of my friends have remarked on my progress but I've really only noticed progress in my back, arms, and shoulders. My chest hasn't really grown but that's not too surprising since I use a narrow grip when benching (works better with the length of my arms). I'm sure I could've made more progress but I spent a lot of time working on my form and making sure I was hitting the right muscles before I started really adding weight.

Strength progress since mid-January when I started:
Bench: 5x5 (75 LBS) --> 7x5 (125 LBS) - hoping to hit 135 by the end of May
Squat: 3x5 (115 LBS) --> 4x5 (165 LBS) - hoping to hit bodyweight (170) in the next week or two
Deadlift: 3x12(155 LBS) --> 3x12 (195 LBS) - Goal is to hit 225 by the end of the month
Overhead Press: 3x3-5 (45LBS) --> 7x5 (65 LBS) - This is the slowest moving one but I'm working with it.
I also added progressive warm up sets to each of these before each workout (did this about a month ago) so there is more volume that shown on here. I do squats and deadlifts on the same day so I'm sure I could do more weight if I only did one. Let me know what you guys think of the strength progression.

Now here's the progress pics:
Sorry for the lighting differences, pictures were taken at different times in different places and I can't control my dorm bathroom lighting

Front: Didn't notice much progress here but I have been getting stronger so I suppose it will get better in time. let me know what you think

Before:

After:

Back:
Saw a lot more progress here, especially in the traps. Not sure about the lats but let me know what you guys think

Before:

After:

I think I made some pretty decent progress for three months (natty), what do you guys think? Am I going in the right direction to look better?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15827, Danish_Retard, Deleted member 18436 and 1 other person
How tall are u?

Pretty decent progress it looks like you lost a bit of fat too

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15827
Pretty decent progress it looks like you lost a bit of fat too
That I would wager is lighting. I check my waist size every once and a while and it's staying about the same (fluctuates a bit due to stuff like water weight) but my overall weight is increasing slowly but steadily.

• +1
Reactions: Sigmamale
That I would wager is lighting. I check my waist size every once and a while and it's staying about the same (fluctuates a bit due to stuff like water weight) but my overall weight is increasing slowly but steadily.
You might just store your fat in your mid section, keep going though man.

You might just store your fat in your mid section, keep going though man.
No plans on stopping. I'll be working 9 hours a day this summer so fitting 2 hour workouts in 5-6 days a week is gonna be tough but I'm prepared for the grind.

3 weeks so far
Keep at it. Once you do it consistently for like a month it just becomes part of your routine and you don't have to fight with the urge to not go on days you feel kinda groggy.

over for natties

• JFL
Reactions: JawMogger
Not bad progress. Keep it up brah

over for natties
Play the long game my friend. I'm not even 19 I can afford to take this slow and not destroy my health in the long term.

Squat: 3x5 (115 LBS) --> 4x5 (165 LBS) - hoping to hit bodyweight (170) in the next week or two
Deadlift: 3x12(155 LBS) --> 3x12 (195 LBS) - Goal is to hit 225 by the end of the month
Overhead Press: 3x3-5 (45LBS) --> 7x5 (65 LBS)

You nearly 2x bench and progressing well on other lifts you are doing great dude.

I do think you would see the same results for deadlift if you did 1 working set and cut out ohp if your body can handle it keep going but as you progress you will not be able to do it all in 1 session or you doing splits ?

Overhead Press: 3x3-5 (45LBS) --> 7x5 (65 LBS)

You nearly 2x bench and progressing well on other lifts you are doing great dude.

I do think you would see the same results for deadlift if you did 1 working set and cut out ohp if your body can handle it keep going but as you progress you will not be able to do it all in 1 session or you doing splits ?
I do a ppl split (I do it as PLP so my muscles have time to rest but its the same set). My main lifts are bench and OHP on push days, deadlift (its whole body but I put it in leg day because it has the least volume of all my other days) and squat on leg days, and barbell rows on pull days. I also of course do plenty of accessory lifts but the ones I just mentioned are the main one I do first and use the most energy and strength in.

I do a ppl split (I do it as PLP so my muscles have time to rest but its the same set). My main lifts are bench and OHP on push days, deadlift (its whole body but I put it in leg day because it has the least volume of all my other days) and squat on leg days, and barbell rows on pull days. I also of course do plenty of accessory lifts but the ones I just mentioned are the main one I do first and use the most energy and strength in.
Literally change nothing until you plateau i failed my last rep of my 3rd bench set for 4 days so that's 2 sessions came down to be not being worked up enough. You are doing great(y)