Finance vs CS/CE vs Medicine

Which Is Ideal ?

• Total voters
It doesn't compete, if you're mediocre/bad at it or don't have the capability of learning things fast. Yes, there is an oversupply, but most of the oversupply is easy, but tedious "grunt" work. A good programmer/consultant/architect is worth their weight in gold, but you have to be high iq/really smart and be able to learn things fast. There will always be super high paying positions for qualified/knowledgeable experts.
Idk why you would think it doesn't compete, if you can stomach long/hard education, your hours spent would go waaay further in cs than medicine, if were talking about monetary gain, not to mention the possibilities of side hustles/making your own product because you know how to program/build electronics. Of course, Just Uni will be useless, you have to be genuinely interested and like doing it, thats the caveat, if you don't like tech, you are gonna be miserable.

Going point by point here:
1) REALLY dependant on your workspace, bigger companies have started hiring hot chicks who are average at best just to fill diversity quotas, but it can be fun. If youre in a purely performance focused environment, then yeah, its only gonna be be weird, but super smart dudes. I don't really care about that, I don't shit where I eat and I'd rather spend my work day with smart bros and I get paid enough to not care who I interact with.
2) Yeah, you do have kind of the janitor role usually, you clean up other peoples mess which is holding on by strings and you have to take responsibility for it. If you are super against that, then go to new development projects where you build things from scratch, but this is harder.
3) Haven't had trash co-workers, but my experience is in Europe not in the US, idk if that changes anything. Yeah, there are weird companies with diverity quotas n shit, but then find smaller/less PC companies, google and FB are not examples of non PC companies
4) All my managers have been highly qualified/waaay more experienced than me.
5) Sure, people don't care about coding or don't want to hear about it, but jfl have other hobbies, your personal relationships are gonna be trash if all you do is code.
6) This guy forgot to say nr 6 jfl. "I don't date techies" You all know the answer to this riddle, if you don't and have been on this forum for more than 3 hours, you're a lost cause.
7) This is really not a con. Have some self respect jfl.
8) Very true, if you only do uni and don't do any personal projects/learn by yourself, then you will be useless in the job market. Uni is just for sharpening your mind and making connections and getting a diploma, nothing more, you generally won't learn job market skills there. Also JFL at the shameless ad.

Exactly

Okay, I won't be ranting about cs anymore, tbh, the less of you go to the field, the more money for me :p
Bro is it true that IT Freelancers earn 90$ / hour?

Going into the trades for a few years' of experience, then setting up your own business, could be a good alternative, for a specific subset of people.

And you still need theoretical skills, on top of your practical ability, and of course good business acumen as well.

• +1
Reactions: BigBoy and PubertyMaxxer
It doesn't compete, if you're mediocre/bad at it or don't have the capability of learning things fast. Yes, there is an oversupply, but most of the oversupply is easy, but tedious "grunt" work. A good programmer/consultant/architect is worth their weight in gold, but you have to be high iq/really smart and be able to learn things fast. There will always be super high paying positions for qualified/knowledgeable experts.
Idk why you would think it doesn't compete, if you can stomach long/hard education, your hours spent would go waaay further in cs than medicine, if were talking about monetary gain, not to mention the possibilities of side hustles/making your own product because you know how to program/build electronics. Of course, Just Uni will be useless, you have to be genuinely interested and like doing it, thats the caveat, if you don't like tech, you are gonna be miserable.

Going point by point here:
1) REALLY dependant on your workspace, bigger companies have started hiring hot chicks who are average at best just to fill diversity quotas, but it can be fun. If youre in a purely performance focused environment, then yeah, its only gonna be be weird, but super smart dudes. I don't really care about that, I don't shit where I eat and I'd rather spend my work day with smart bros and I get paid enough to not care who I interact with.
2) Yeah, you do have kind of the janitor role usually, you clean up other peoples mess which is holding on by strings and you have to take responsibility for it. If you are super against that, then go to new development projects where you build things from scratch, but this is harder.
3) Haven't had trash co-workers, but my experience is in Europe not in the US, idk if that changes anything. Yeah, there are weird companies with diverity quotas n shit, but then find smaller/less PC companies, google and FB are not examples of non PC companies
4) All my managers have been highly qualified/waaay more experienced than me.
5) Sure, people don't care about coding or don't want to hear about it, but jfl have other hobbies, your personal relationships are gonna be trash if all you do is code.
6) This guy forgot to say nr 6 jfl. "I don't date techies" You all know the answer to this riddle, if you don't and have been on this forum for more than 3 hours, you're a lost cause.
7) This is really not a con. Have some self respect jfl.
8) Very true, if you only do uni and don't do any personal projects/learn by yourself, then you will be useless in the job market. Uni is just for sharpening your mind and making connections and getting a diploma, nothing more, you generally won't learn job market skills there. Also JFL at the shameless ad.

Exactly

Okay, I won't be ranting about cs anymore, tbh, the less of you go to the field, the more money for me :p
if youre exceptional you can make good money doing pretty much anything. theres always bank at the top end.

average medics have much better prospects than average computer scientists, and exceptional medics can earn very large sums of money pretty easily, with a high quality of life. quality of life is best for medicine, it has the best status, competing with top tier IB for status but people have a far more "favourable" view of medics than bankers, best job stability, probably most rewarding overall although that depends a lot on what you like etc. im sure cs can be very rewarding, although less sure about banking.

if you prefer CS and youre exceptional at it obviously do CS, but overall as a career it doesnt compete with medicine. IB competes with medicine for status and compensation but falls short on so many counts. Im not in any of these fields, yet I make a lot of money and am perfectly happy with my career. Ive never even considered medicine at all because it doesnt fit my interests or skillset but I can acknowledge that it is the best "normal" profession (ie not like professional footballer or rock star) pound for pound, all things considered

• +1
Reactions: Mouthbreath, Deleted member 6273, PubertyMaxxer and 1 other person
Yes
do you have any idea about data science?

I'm studying physics and I'm trying to somehow get a job somewhere and DS sounds fun, but it seems to be incredibly competitive.
Yes it's competitive, honestly what isn't ?

But don't feel fooled by raw numbers, the larger the pool, the lower the average quality of applicants, therefore the best, and truly capable and experienced engineers will always be in good demand; if you know how to sell yourself and your work (believe me, I've seen my share of "isolated geniuses", who ended up getting pigeonholed somewhere, where their talent was not getting recognized, and used).

• +1
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium, BigBoy and PubertyMaxxer
i go to a target, double majoring in math + cs and heading into finance (buyside off the bat, not 2+2). not insanely attractive but i enjoy finance. lots of ugly fucks here. finance is only attractive in so far as rich douchebags get their sons at goldman internships.

all my friends hate the cs jobs they've been placed in. dm if you have specific questions

i send this to my friends who have the same question as you: https://wallstreetplayboys.com/what-type-of-intelligence-do-you-have/

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium, BigBoy, curryslayerordeath and 2 others

I'm studying physics and I'm trying to somehow get a job somewhere, but data science seems to be incredibly competitive.
idk
do a masters or something somewhere that offers an internship program
if you're truly smart/competent you'll succeed anywhere

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
depends on wat school ur going to. At a top tier school like UPenn, Berkeley or Harvard do finance. mid tier school do medicine or CS

• +1
half my extended family works in medicine and they find it very fulfilling, but they're the type that have aspirations to "innovate science/society", which i doubt most blackpilled ppl would care abt jfl. also requires a huge amt of education during ur prime yrs, huge commitment to place urself in.

i go to a target, double majoring in math + cs and heading into finance (buyside off the bat, not 2+2). not insanely attractive but i enjoy finance. lots of ugly fucks here. finance is only attractive in so far as rich douchebags get their sons at goldman internships.

all my friends hate the cs jobs they've been placed in. dm if you have specific questions

i send this to my friends who have the same question as you: https://wallstreetplayboys.com/what-type-of-intelligence-do-you-have/
im trying to get in the same position (early into the math/cs major atm), how hard is it to get a spot in quant finance compared to regular tech? how does the QoL compare too?

• +1
half my extended family works in medicine and they find it very fulfilling, but they're the type that have aspirations to "innovate science/society", which i doubt most blackpilled ppl would care abt jfl. also requires a huge amt of education during ur prime yrs, huge commitment to place urself in.

im trying to get in the same position (early into the math/cs major atm), how hard is it to get a spot in quant finance compared to regular tech? how does the QoL compare too?

huge emphasis in the quant world about pedigree. kind of sucks but it is what it is. my experience personally is with the prestigious end of both industries and i would say each is looking for its own thing. tech cares less about pedigree/where you're from so in that sense it's easier to get into but they're also looking for more qualitative senses of performance (hackathons, side coding projects, and other bullshit like that) whereas quant is a lot more decisive. the preparation for getting jobs in each is vastly different--quant funds really do not care so much about coding as they do about probability and algorithmic thinking, whereas if you go through ctci and have the right things on your resume you will get a job at faang.

qol is an interesting question because it all depends on the shop you end up at. qol at google/fb is obviously great but tbh i would kill myself if i went to a 9-5 job and was surrounded by nerds who bragged about "grinding all night" only to waste their day by playing chess and gay google shit. on the other hand, if you end up somewhere like citadel or an investment bank, weekends arent protected (in fact nothing is protected) and your boss jerks off to how much of an asshole he was to you the last time you talked. on the flip side, there are good (but usually smaller) tech shops with high engineering bars (square, tesla jump to mind) where the grind culture isnt so pervasive and there are good quant shops where the threat of being fired isnt held over your head at all times (jane street, 2sig).

your decision on which field to go into has to depend on what you genuinely find interesting and the overall culture you vibe with more. some firms will have that culture to an extreme, and others will be in the middle of the tech-finance spectrum.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium, curryslayerordeath, Mouthbreath and 1 other person
if youre exceptional you can make good money doing pretty much anything. theres always bank at the top end.

average medics have much better prospects than average computer scientists, and exceptional medics can earn very large sums of money pretty easily, with a high quality of life. quality of life is best for medicine, it has the best status, competing with top tier IB for status but people have a far more "favourable" view of medics than bankers, best job stability, probably most rewarding overall although that depends a lot on what you like etc. im sure cs can be very rewarding, although less sure about banking.

if you prefer CS and youre exceptional at it obviously do CS, but overall as a career it doesnt compete with medicine. IB competes with medicine for status and compensation but falls short on so many counts. Im not in any of these fields, yet I make a lot of money and am perfectly happy with my career. Ive never even considered medicine at all because it doesnt fit my interests or skillset but I can acknowledge that it is the best "normal" profession (ie not like professional footballer or rock star) pound for pound, all things considered
It also is STRONGLY dependent on where you live. Globally, imo, you have the best prospects in CS, you can't really work remotely as a doctor and you can't work from home. And At least, from what ive seen, in a lot of Europe, medics are paid like shit unless you work at a private clinic.

I still think, unless you have a private practice or are high up in the bureaucracy, medicine is not that good.

YMMV, i am pretty sure, even if youre average, in the current market CS has way better opportunities, not to mention, if(like me) you have started working and earning a decent amount from 16, but to get anywhere near that as a medic, you would need years of education.

You can't really do a medicine startup, shit is heavily regulated, you can do a tech startup as a teen with 0 qualifications.
Medicine is heavily dependent on qualifications/regulated certifications.

I don't care about status, all I want is money, status means jack shit in this case, no one is going to treat you better just because you're a doc.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium
Bro is it true that IT Freelancers earn 90$ / hour?
Depends on how skilled you are/how good you're selling yourself. Thats why I call BS that good CS people are anti social, the ones who earn the most and are in high positions, are Highly NT and sociable. Especially in enterprise, most of the art is selling yourself/your team/your product.

I have seen ridiculous offers, so yeah, it is possible, but again, its competitive.

Freelancing is hard tho, you have to do your own hours, keep yourself in check, if you can handle it, then yeah, it is doable.

Don't bet on it, especially in your first years in the market.

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, f0rmless and sytyl

I'm studying physics and I'm trying to somehow get a job somewhere and DS sounds fun, but it seems to be incredibly competitive.
DS is competitive, my best friend is a physicist, he also is looking in to DS. Most physicists/mathematicians go work in CS related jobs anyway.

The thing with Data science is that it is getting dumbed down. Programmers are creating tools to automate it/dumb it down so it has a lower barrier of entry. For example, if you learn to use a specific tool and not the fundamentls of how it works, you will be pretty much useless in companies where that specific tool is not used.

It is an interesting, statistics heavy field, if you don't get baited in to proprietary tech, it can be interesting and good paying.

The thing with data science is that it is most useful for huge corps, which just makes the competitiveness worse because of the high pay. It will be harder to find Data science jobs in smaller companies, so it is a bit less in demand than CS alone.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium, curryslayerordeath, f0rmless and 1 other person
Thats why I call BS that good CS people are anti social, the ones who earn the most and are in high positions, are Highly NT and sociable. Especially in enterprise,
Yeah, it's easy to meme and say that most devs are anti social recluses who don't know how to talk with people when in my experience it's mostly been the opposite, though the bad apples really do stick out.

• +1
Reactions: yorker12
huge emphasis in the quant world about pedigree. kind of sucks but it is what it is. my experience personally is with the prestigious end of both industries and i would say each is looking for its own thing. tech cares less about pedigree/where you're from so in that sense it's easier to get into but they're also looking for more qualitative senses of performance (hackathons, side coding projects, and other bullshit like that) whereas quant is a lot more decisive. the preparation for getting jobs in each is vastly different--quant funds really do not care so much about coding as they do about probability and algorithmic thinking, whereas if you go through ctci and have the right things on your resume you will get a job at faang.

qol is an interesting question because it all depends on the shop you end up at. qol at google/fb is obviously great but tbh i would kill myself if i went to a 9-5 job and was surrounded by nerds who bragged about "grinding all night" only to waste their day by playing chess and gay google shit. on the other hand, if you end up somewhere like citadel or an investment bank, weekends arent protected (in fact nothing is protected) and your boss jerks off to how much of an asshole he was to you the last time you talked. on the flip side, there are good (but usually smaller) tech shops with high engineering bars (square, tesla jump to mind) where the grind culture isnt so pervasive and there are good quant shops where the threat of being fired isnt held over your head at all times (jane street, 2sig).

your decision on which field to go into has to depend on what you genuinely find interesting and the overall culture you vibe with more. some firms will have that culture to an extreme, and others will be in the middle of the tech-finance spectrum.

quite helpful post, ty bro. have been considering that avenue a lot especially since i got into the field thru algo programming and competitive math, but thankfully still got a lot of time left.

• +1
Reactions: f0rmless
quite helpful post, ty bro. have been considering that avenue a lot especially since i got into the field thru algo programming and competitive math, but thankfully still got a lot of time left.

sure man. if thats how you got exposed to the field then im sure your resume will be good for most quant shops without much effort. just brush up on your probability and then look into drw, deshaw, bridgewater, citadel, optiver, akuna, jane street, two sigma, blackrock, jump trading, virtu. these guys all have robust blackbox resume drops unlike most wallstreet firms which are connection/rec based

interview books are probably the ones by mark joshi and xinfeng zhou (two separate books)

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: curryslayerordeath and Hero of the Imperium