Free weights vs machine training

chasing aesthetics

chasing aesthetics

Bronze
If ones sole purpose is to looksmax and don't care at all about functional strength....

And volume is the primary driver of muscle hypertrophy

Then why not do pressing in a machine rather than bench?

It will be easier to track progress also since the machines seat and all that can be adjusted to the same exact position every time. The range of motion and bar path is also fixed (With some exceptions like row machine, where you range of motion isn't fixed because you may not pull the bar towards you as much with each rep).

Saves time not only to set up, but also you can lift more weight, i.e do more work i.e more volume i.e more gains. (Sure you coud just compensate with an extra set in the bench but then again, then you would not have saved time.)

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5292
u can develop bad form with free weights

machines are safer aswell

only problem is gymcel meatheads think ur inferior or not alpha if u dont do free weights

• Hmm...
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5292 and SendMePicsToRate
instability of bench pressing gives extra edge over machines in terms of hypertrophy

plus prob you will like it more free weights

• +1
Reactions: delusionalretard, TITUS and Deleted member 6403
More muscles are engaged with free weights

• +1
Reactions: delusionalretard, Deleted member 6403 and LastHopeForNorman
both are useless if you are low T like me.
with good genetics and diet you will grow muscles no matter your training schedule

For me personally it was easier to target a specific muscle group and feel sore (especially chest) on machine than free weight. But free weights is more superior in terms of building strength.

• +1
Reactions: delusionalretard
More muscles are engaged with free weights
A muscle is engaged when stablizing during a free weight lift, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will get any noticable gains from it. And those muscles used in stabilization will be trained in other movements anyways. After hitting your chest, then hit your side delts forexample and they too will get max gains.

• +1
Cuck for not wanting strength gains

For me personally it was easier to target a specific muscle group and feel sore (especially chest) on machine than free weight. But free weights is more superior in terms of building strength.
In building useable strength yes. But in terms of how much force your muscle and neurological system can produce, i do not think free weights is superior to build strength.

One has to remember lifting heavy free weights is also a skill. You train your neurological system to fire the fibres at precisely the right moment for best form thus making it easier to lift heavier weight.

This is the reason 1 rep max calculators can be very off. Some months ago i did 12 reps 70 kg on the bench, and the 1 rep max calculator said i would be able to do 98 kg max. I was not doing low rep ranges like that, so when i increased the weight to 80kg it immediatly felt way heavier than what it actually was.

This means that if you had labratory conditions where you would send electro impulses with some sick tech, the biggest bodybuilders muscles would produce more newtons of force than the strongest powerlifters. But we live in the real world, and it is not applicable in normal lifting practise.

You do you man. Im after pussy, not impressing some other fag wanna-be with a tight t shirt on that says "ALPHA".

• +1
Reactions: Deusmaximus and Deleted member 5292
Girls care as much about a guys strength as much as a guy cares about how much milk a girls breasts produce.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deusmaximus and Deleted member 12066
You do you man. Im after pussy, not impressing some other fag wanna-be with a tight t shirt on that says "ALPHA".
Get ready to get cheated on, unless you have the biggest penis of the 7 seas

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12066
Massive scientific cope
We live in modern society. When the fuck ever do you have to display your strength in order to create an image that you are powerful?

We live in modern society. When the fuck ever do you have to display your strength in order to create an image that you are powerful?
Listen here femboy, looks and attraction are based off primitive instincts. A woman wants a man able to protect her and give her status. If you have none, you will only be seen as a beta or someone to life off when her pussy is already too lose from chads cock.

Last edited:
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: sergeant blackpill, Deleted member 7820 and Deleted member 3142
Listen here femboy, looks and attraction are based off primitive instincts. A woman wants a man able to protect here and give her status. If you have none, you will only be seen as a beta or someone to life off when her pussy is already to lose from chads cock.
Well my point went right over your head. And quite honestly this isn't what i wanted to discuss in this thread. Hypertrophy is what i want this thread to be about.

Well my point went right over your head. And quite honestly this isn't what i wanted to discuss in this thread. Hypertrophy is what i want this thread to be about.
Imagine asking gym advice on this forum. I'm done with this iqlet

Human nature doesn’t change based on what times or society we are living in. If shit hits the fan tomorrow, all the girls including lesbos will flock to the strongest most dominant men for protection.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12066
Free weight is more fun.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12066 and LastHopeForNorman
If ypu want to be a powerlifter lift free weights. If you want to be a bodybuilder use machines, much safer and you will have more time to train with less injuries. Phil heath won 7 olympias using machines. Levrone and flex wheeler used free weights and won zero, and they had better genetics than phil heath.

• JFL
Reactions: Mouthbreath
If ypu want to be a powerlifter lift free weights. If you want to be a bodybuilder use machines, much safer and you will have more time to train with less injuries. Phil heath won 7 olympias using machines. Levrone and flex wheeler used free weights and won zero, and they had better genetics than phil heath.
COPE

• +1
Reactions: Mouthbreath
I think jay cutler also used mostly machines for my two cents.

Do you mean safer in terms of the accute danger of dropping a barbell on you while benching, or do you mean like joint health and stuff like that?

The second, joint health. And spine health specifically.

And yes, cutler used mainly machines. He taught phil heath how to train.

Big ramy also uses machines.

minutiae, controlling for everything else the variance would probably be something in the ballpark of 1%. waste of mental energy tbh

• +1
minutiae, controlling for everything else the variance would probably be something in the ballpark of 1%. waste of mental energy tbh
I dunno man, 1% seems very little, i have done some lifting over the years and i may get substantial form breakdown here and there

Studies show people grow more on free weights, it is what it is, you got too much autismo.

Listen here femboy, looks and attraction are based off primitive instincts. A woman wants a man able to protect her and give her status. If you have none, you will only be seen as a beta or someone to life off when her pussy is already too lose from chads cock.
107123146 559401751398223 7775869030029106282 n
Cb8f3e391781088c47d7c6ca951171f8

• Love it
Reactions: chasing aesthetics
If ones sole purpose is to looksmax and don't care at all about functional strength....

It will be easier to track progress also since the machines seat and all that can be adjusted to the same exact position every time. The range of motion and bar path is also fixed (With some exceptions like row machine, where you range of motion isn't fixed because you may not pull the bar towards you as much with each rep).

Saves time not only to set up, but also you can lift more weight, i.e do more work i.e more volume i.e more gains. (Sure you coud just compensate with an extra set in the bench but then again, then you would not have saved time.)
Size = strength for anyone not taking drugs. The biggest guys can usually lift the most weight. Focus on improving strength on compound lifts to get bigger. You will not see any gains without getting stronger

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5292 and Deleted member 3142

do whatever you want, as long as it doesnt hurt. Problem is incels have shit mobility and posture and hear "do heavy compounds bro" so they start doing them and cant even move their scapula correctly and destroy their joints and spine. If something hurts when you lift like a pinch or strain feeling in the joint, STOP and do an excercise where you feel the muscle not the joint

Actually I would say yes..It is programmed into the DNA

do whatever you want, as long as it doesnt hurt. Problem is incels have shit mobility and posture and hear "do heavy compounds bro" so they start doing them and cant even move their scapula correctly and destroy their joints and spine. If something hurts when you lift like a pinch or strain feeling in the joint, STOP and do an excercise where you feel the muscle not the joint
Personally i may get some clicking in the shouler while benching, now that i replaced bench with machine press, it all went away.

And the unracking and racking of the bar is kinda fucked also honestly (guess the negatives unracking and racking can be negated with a spotter but yeah)

• +1
Reactions: patricknotstar
Personally if I was a young Man..I would shoot for what they call a classic or Golden era physique

Actually I would say yes..It is programmed into the DNA
But the thing is... you just need hypertrophy of the muscles for that. You aren't gonna actually lift a girls car into a parking spot because she can't parallel park.

#redpillspeaks