Getting braces without confirming bimax surgeon- is this normal?

Tobias Fünke

Tobias Fünke

Proudly Stallonepilled
So I had a consultation with a maxilliofacial surgeon who agreed that I should get bimax for both aesthetic and functional purposes. He recommended an ortho to me and he said to get in touch with him myself and arrange an appointment which I did.

When arranging the appointment (which I have next week) the ortho said that he'd check me out and consult with the surgeon before moving ahead with installing the braces etc...

The thing is, I haven't actually confirmed that I'm going with this surgeon yet. I would like to (he has good results and I liked what I was hearing from him during our consultation) but we never discussed prices or even had morphs done up. I mean, what if I go ahead with this and the surgeon then tries to charge me 50K or something?

Or am I looking at this the wrong way: I could get my pre-surgical orthodontics done and then I'm free to go to whoever I want because I never actually confirmed anything or paid deposit?

Is this unusual? I would have thought that a deposit would need to be paid to the surgeon and the surgical plan fully arranged and prices confirmed before the ortho even put in the braces. Can any of the forum hardmaxxers who have gone through this or any of the experts give me their thoughts? @Gaia262 @Looksmax25 @SixCRY @RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: currylightskin and Gaia262
So I had a consultation with a maxilliofacial surgeon who agreed that I should get bimax for both aesthetic and functional purposes. He recommended an ortho to me and he said to get in touch with him myself and arrange an appointment which I did.

When arranging the appointment (which I have next week) the ortho said that he'd check me out and consult with the surgeon before moving ahead with installing the braces etc...

The thing is, I haven't actually confirmed that I'm going with this surgeon yet. I would like to (he has good results and I liked what I was hearing from him during our consultation) but we never discussed prices or even had morphs done up. I mean, what if I go ahead with this and the surgeon then tries to charge me 50K or something?

Or am I looking at this the wrong way: I could get my pre-surgical orthodontics done and then I'm free to go to whoever I want because I never actually confirmed anything or paid deposit?

Is this unusual? I would have thought that a deposit would need to be paid to the surgeon and the surgical plan fully arranged and prices confirmed before the ortho even put in the braces. Can any of the forum hardmaxxers who have gone through this or any of the experts give me their thoughts? @Gaia262 @Looksmax25 @SixCRY @RealSurgerymax
Take scans and talk with your surgeon. Ask him if he can do sugery first braces next approach

• +1
Reactions: Pumanator and Tobias Fünke
Take scans and talk with your surgeon. Ask him if he can do sugery first braces next approach
He already said that I definitely need braces first for 9 months to 1 year unfortunately. I asked for surgery first and he said it wasn't possible and so did all of the other surgeons I consulted with before him.

He already said that I definitely need braces first for 9 months to 1 year unfortunately. I asked for surgery first and he said it wasn't possible and so did all of the other surgeons I consulted with before him.
Your teeth are orge and retroclined proclined and moved due to the skeletal deformity

Your teeth are orge and retroclined proclined and moved due to the skeletal deformity
Pretty much but 9 months isn't too bad. There are bros on this forum who had to wear them for over 2 years before the scalpel touched them. Brutal.

• Woah
Reactions: Pumanator
Sorry, forgot to tag @Acromegaly_Chad

Different surgeons will have different criterias to how they want the teeth positioned prior to surgery.

It really is important to confirm the surgeon you will be using before starting a pre-surgical orthodontic plan. So both your surgeon and orthodntist are on the same page.

It's also best to confirm prices and other things before starting anything.

• +1
Reactions: Yerico7 and Tobias Fünke
Different surgeons will have different criterias to how they want the teeth positioned prior to surgery.

It really is important to confirm the surgeon you will be using before starting a pre-surgical orthodontic plan. So both your surgeon and orthodntist are on the same page.

It's also best to confirm prices and other things before starting anything.
Thanks, I thought it was a bit strange. I'll email the surgeon straight away. Hope you're recovering ok man. Your ascension was major lifefuel.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262
Double posted

It depends on who you go with I would consult with at least 2 or 3 maxfacs and a couple of orthos as they can have crazy different opinions. I will say that when I got a bimax, I was told that the surgeryfirst approach is better because your teeth can be moved more aggressively... say cutting down braces time from 3 years to 1. But to be honest with you 9 months to 1 year in braces is nothing, I had those fuckers for 4 years from middle to high school!

• +1
Reactions: Tobias Fünke
It depends on who you go with I would consult with at least 2 or 3 maxfacs and a couple of orthos as they can have crazy different opinions. I will say that when I got a bimax, I was told that the surgeryfirst approach is better because your teeth can be moved more aggressively... say cutting down braces time from 3 years to 1. But to be honest with you 9 months to 1 year in braces is nothing, I had those fuckers for 4 years from middle to high school!
Ya, surgeryfirst would be ideal but I can live with 1 year maximum if necessary.