Guitar guide? How to play by ear? Does anyone play here?

looks>books

looks>books

Do not be as you are, but as you should be
Inb4 “this isnt looksmaxing related”
Yes it is, its a hobby that can halo and make you more attractive.

Inb4 ”no guitar for face”

this is for mtn-chad who just want the added bonus and are tired of the boys and anime and league. Guitar is an attractive hobby and probably the most attractive instrument.

Does anyone play here?

Just started, I can play a few songs but only by tabs, don’t know any scales or music theory.

I want to play like the youtuber the dooo, ill link a vid. Basically I just want to be able to hear a song, then be able to play along to the lyrics/melody, like the most famous part of the song that you know it by. Though I would like to, I dont need to be able to “play along” with the actual song like an actual guitarist on the band, im fine with just playing the lyrics the person is singing or the melody.

A vid from the dooo

How can someone do this?

Indra bc dont jfl this :rage::lasereyes::woke:

I just need a roadmap/progression, willing to put in the years.

this is for mtn-chad who just want the added bonus and are tired of the boys and anime and league. Guitar is an attractive hobby and probably the most attractive instrument.

Does anyone play here?

Just started, I can play a few songs but only by tabs, don’t know any scales or music theory.

I want to play like the youtuber the dooo, ill link a vid. Basically I just want to be able to hear a song, then be able to play along to the lyrics/melody, like the most famous part of the song that you know it by. Though I would like to, I dont need to be able to “play along” with the actual song like an actual guitarist on the band, im fine with just playing the lyrics the person is singing or the melody.

A vid from the dooo

How can someone do this?

You need to train your ear. There are many ways to go about this. You can try some ear training apps, or sing a random note and try to guess where it is on the guitar. Maybe, trying to figure out how to play a song by ear would help too. So, you'd listen to a song of choice, many times, and break it down, and then figure out how you'd go about playing it. Maybe you'd follow the bass, or the melody, etc.

• Love it
Reactions: looks>books
You need to train your ear. There are many ways to go about this. You can try some ear training apps, or sing a random note and try to guess where it is on the guitar. Maybe, trying to figure out how to play a song by ear would help too. So, you'd listen to a song of choice, many times, and break it down, and then figure out how you'd go about playing it. Maybe you'd follow the bass, or the melody, etc.
Do u play?

I used to play in the past. I did JustinGuitar's guitar course and got through grade 1 in a month. Thanks to that I learned the basic chords and was able to play a few songs on rhythm guitar.

Personally though, I prefer lead guitar, and sure you can use free tabs on the internet but my preferred way of playing is the game Rocksmith 2014 Remastered, basically like guitar hero but with a real guitar. Fitgirl repacks has a torrent of the game with all the DLCs included, and then all you need is a guitar and a real tone cable (guitar to USB cable) and you can play. I use riff repeater to level up, and I focus on songs that are up to my level. There is a wide variety of songs from many different genres.

I've played the piano for a decade, and guitar for 4 years.
Can you do what the doo does?

Should I go about learning chords or scales first or is that not necessary

I used to play in the past. I did JustinGuitar's guitar course and got through grade 1 in a month. Thanks to that I learned the basic chords and was able to play a few songs on rhythm guitar.

Personally though, I prefer lead guitar, and sure you can use free tabs on the internet but my preferred way of playing is the game Rocksmith 2014 Remastered, basically like guitar hero but with a real guitar. Fitgirl repacks has a torrent of the game with all the DLCs included, and then all you need is a guitar and a real tone cable (guitar to USB cable) and you can play. I use riff repeater to level up, and I focus on songs that are up to my level. There is a wide variety of songs from many different genres.
This cost money :feelsbadman:

Can you do what the doo does?

Should I go about learning chords or scales first or is that not necessary
To a lesser extent, I probably wouldn't be going up and down a scale as smoothly as he can (on the guitar). For the most part, most popular Western songs follow a few very common chord intervals. If you know the appropriate melodic scales and can incorporate the melody whilst playing the chords, you can do what he does (maybe not yet at his pace). He does improvise a little as well, from what I can see, but that'll come with time as well.

• +1
To a lesser extent, I probably wouldn't be going up and down a scale as smoothly as he can (on the guitar). For the most part, most popular Western songs follow a few very common chord intervals. If you know the appropriate melodic scales and can incorporate the melody whilst playing the chords, you can do what he does (maybe not yet at his pace). He does improvise a little as well, from what I can see, but that'll come with time as well.
Do you have a basic road map or progression you recommend? Willing to put as much time as it takes (sold my console)

This cost money :feelsbadman:
Notice I said torrent, a look at r/piracy will tell you all you need to know. I also have the steam version of the game but it is no longer available because Ubisoft got greedy and decided to charge for a subscription service instead, which sucks.

As for the JustinGuitar course, it is completely free, even up to the advanced level but it won't make you do solos, it will just make you learn chords and how to play with the rhythm while singing. Rocksmith is superior for soloing.

• +1
Notice I said torrent, a look at r/piracy will tell you all you need to know. I also have the steam version of the game but it is no longer available because Ubisoft got greedy and decided to charge for a subscription service instead, which sucks.

As for the JustinGuitar course, it is completely free, even up to the advanced level but it won't make you do solos, it will just make you learn chords and how to play with the rhythm while singing. Rocksmith is superior for soloing.
Isn’t that just memorizing?

That wont train my ear though. Im trying to just hear a song and then play along with it.

Do you have a basic road map or progression you recommend? Willing to put as much time as it takes (sold my console)
Read the following article, it lists a roadmap from beginner to intermediate.

The most important part here is consistency, try to get in practice every single day. Something to tell yourself is that you'll do at least one exercise of sorts a day. It's easier to be consistent each day, especially on the days you don't feel like practicing when you don't set the bar too high.

Lastly, try to get a teacher if you can. I've had a teacher for my piano lessons since the start, and I can tell you they're invaluable. Even a mediocre teacher would see things you wouldn't in your playing, and give you answers to questions you didn't even know you had. It's also easier to be consistent when you're not just accountable to yourself, but someone else too.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: copingvolcel and looks>books
Read the following article, it lists a roadmap from beginner to intermediate.

The most important part here is consistency, try to get in practice every single day. Something to tell yourself is that you'll do at least one exercise of sorts a day. It's easier to be consistent each day, especially on the days you don't feel like practicing when you don't set the bar too high.

Lastly, try to get a teacher if you can. I've had a teacher for my piano lessons since the start, and I can tell you they're invaluable. Even a mediocre teacher would see things you wouldn't in your playing, and give you answers to questions you didn't even know you had. It's also easier to be consistent when you're not just accountable to yourself, but someone else too.
Once im intermediate what would suggest I do to get to that final “just hear it and play” level?

Would I be able to get there without a teacher

Isn’t that just memorizing?

That wont train my ear though. Im trying to just hear a song and then play along with it.
That will require many years of practice. To get good at a musical instrument, you need consistent practice, on a day to day basis or at least a few times per week. It's not like you can read a book on how to train your ear and then suddenly you can play whatever you want. Learning the scales, and the fretboard itself will help though.

• Love it
That will require many years of practice. To get good at a musical instrument, you need consistent practice, on a day to day basis or at least a few times per week. It's not like you can read a book on how to train your ear and then suddenly you can play whatever you want. Learning the scales, and the fretboard itself will help though.
Do you have a basic roadmap or path you recommended?

Or like a short checklist at the top of your head

Once im intermediate what would suggest I do to get to that final “just hear it and play” level?

Would I be able to get there without a teacher
At the intermediate level, you'd already be able to do it, only not as quickly as he can (as your relative pitch isn't as advanced, or you don't have perfect pitch).

Your improvisation might also not be as advanced nor as smooth, but that simply takes more time and experience. To a great extent, you're dependent on your brain here for making the relevant neural connections and changes (and this requires many nights of sleep between practices). Still, you should be able to play 95% of mainstream songs you hear, with a little practice (<30 mins).

Nevertheless, it's easy to get distracted by thinking too far out into the future at the start of the journey. It's better to take it step-by-step and focus on the step lying directly ahead of you.

You'll have a better idea of what you'll want to achieve, and what will be required once you're at an intermediate level.

• Love it
Do you have a basic roadmap or path you recommended?

Or like a short checklist at the top of your head
Like I said earlier, JustinGuitar has a free guitar course that can take you from complete beginner to advanced, if you're able to be patient and just learn the chords and to play with the rhythm. You won't be doing solos for most of this time, so the recognizable parts of the song you won't be playing that, but you'll be able to play in a way that allows you to sing along, in the way singers do. That will help for soloing in the future. https://www.justinguitar.com/site-map-and-lesson-structure

Personally, I've never had the patience to sit through learning chords and rhythm, and I've always been more obsessed with learning solos. My guitar dream is to be able to play For The Love of God by Steve Vai flawlessly.

• Love it
At the intermediate level, you'd already be able to do it, only not as quickly as he can (as your relative pitch isn't as advanced, or you don't have perfect pitch).

Your improvisation might also not be as advanced nor as smooth, but that simply takes more time and experience. To a great extent, you're dependent on your brain here for making the relevant neural connections and changes (and this requires many nights of sleep between practices). Still, you should be able to play 95% of mainstream songs you hear, with a little practice (<30 mins).

Nevertheless, it's easy to get distracted by thinking too far out into the future at the start of the journey. It's better to take it step-by-step and focus on the step lying directly ahead of you.

You'll have a better idea of what you'll want to achieve, and what will be required once you're at an intermediate level.
Ty bhai admin for a reason

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr
Like I said earlier, JustinGuitar has a free guitar course that can take you from complete beginner to advanced, if you're able to be patient and just learn the chords and to play with the rhythm. You won't be doing solos for most of this time, so the recognizable parts of the song you won't be playing that, but you'll be able to play in a way that allows you to sing along, in the way singers do. That will help for soloing in the future. https://www.justinguitar.com/site-map-and-lesson-structure

Personally, I've never had the patience to sit through learning chords and rhythm, and I've always been more obsessed with learning solos. My guitar dream is to be able to play For The Love of God by Steve Vai flawlessly.
Ty mate God bless

• +1
Reactions: copingvolcel
Ty mate God bless
A teacher might be helpful to get feedback on your playing but it's not completely necessary. If you record yourself playing and post on Reddit, you might be able to get feedback that way and for free.

• Love it
A teacher might be helpful to get feedback on your playing but it's not completely necessary. If you record yourself playing and post on Reddit, you might be able to get feedback that way and for free.
Will do that, good method

• +1
Reactions: copingvolcel
Ty bhai admin for a reason
Sure, no problem.
A few general learning techniques that you'd be wise to apply to your journey are Active recall, Spaced Repetition, and Deliberate Practice. Trust me, I've spent the past year researching as much as I can about how to learn most effectively and these three come out on top (despite there being some other important stuff). Active recall would imply using your brain to generate something, as opposed to passively absorbing it. Let's take the guitar as an example:

When learning a new chord progression, instead of just staring at chord diagrams and mindlessly strumming, you might:
  1. Try to play the progression from memory without looking at the diagrams
  2. Attempt to write down the chord names and fingerings without reference
  3. Teach the progression to a friend, explaining each chord and transition

This forces your brain to actively engage with the material, strengthening neural connections and improving retention.

For more in-depth explanations of these learning techniques, I highly recommend checking out Benjamin Keep's YouTube channel, particularly his "Study Tips and Tricks" playlist. Personally learned a lot about how to enhance my learning through his videos, and they're widely applicable.

• Love it
Sure, no problem.
A few general learning techniques that you'd be wise to apply to your journey are Active recall, Spaced Repetition, and Deliberate Practice. Trust me, I've spent the past year researching as much as I can about how to learn most effectively and these three come out on top (despite there being some other important stuff). Active recall would imply using your brain to generate something, as opposed to passively absorbing it. Let's take the guitar as an example:

When learning a new chord progression, instead of just staring at chord diagrams and mindlessly strumming, you might:
  1. Try to play the progression from memory without looking at the diagrams
  2. Attempt to write down the chord names and fingerings without reference
  3. Teach the progression to a friend, explaining each chord and transition

This forces your brain to actively engage with the material, strengthening neural connections and improving retention.

For more in-depth explanations of these learning techniques, I highly recommend checking out Benjamin Keep's YouTube channel, particularly his "Study Tips and Tricks" playlist. Personally learned a lot about how to enhance my learning through his videos, and they're widely applicable.

Ty mate, heard of these before as well trying to become better at school, will give a look. God Bless

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr

Does anyone play here?

A vid from the dooo

How can someone do this?

That’s a sexy ibanez guitar, I’ve got a JEMJR and it looks similar but white. Just follow youtube tutorials from Marty Schwartz, Marin County Music Center etc

• +1
That’s a sexy ibanez guitar, I’ve got a JEMJR and it looks similar but white. Just follow youtube tutorials from Marty Schwartz, Marin County Music Center etc
They just teach memorization and tabs.