Gum Health & Aesthetics

ifyouwannabemylover

ifyouwannabemylover

Ascended
What do healthy gums look like?

Healthy gum tissue

-> Thick, bright pink tissue with no signs of disease or recession

Gingivitis - gum disease

Gingivitis, also known as gum disease, is simply inflammation of the gum tissue. It’s pretty much always caused by a lack of oral hygiene (flossing), leaving the bacterial bio film to cause an immune response. A lot of people who have gingivitis do not know because their dentists do not tell them.

Symptoms of gingivitis are:
- red/purple gum tissue
- swollen gum tissue
- bleeding gums

Treating gingivitis
Gingivitis is treated with good oral hygiene. That is brushing two times and flossing once a day to get rid of all the plaque along with regular professional cleanings.

Before and after cleaning and tartar removal:
1024px Gingivitis before and after 3

-> Notice how the swelling and redness of the gum tissue went down.

If you have gingivitis (there's a good chance you do), get a dental cleaning and start flossing or using interdental brushes regularly to prevent plaque and tartar build up. Flossing with inflamed gums will cause them to bleed initially, but that will subside once the inflammation goes down.

Periodontitis

While not all cases of gingivitis lead to periodontitis, periodontitis is always preceded by gingivitis. That means periodontitis occurs when gingivitis is left untreated.

Symptons of periodontitis are:
- red/purple, swollen and bleeding gums (as with gingivitis)
- gum recession
- pain around the gums and teeth
- lose teeth
- eventually, tooth loss

What does gum recession look like?

Gums

When your gum tissue recedes, the roots of your teeth may be exposed, your teeth will appear longer and “black triangles” (empty spaces between your teeth) will begin to form – it’s over.

Preventing gum recession

1. Oral hygiene

As stated earlier, gum recession is a common symptom of periodontitis. Then again, periodontitis is an advanced stage of gingivitis. Therefore, good dental hygiene in the form of regular plaque removal is essential. That also includes flossing. You can brush all you want, but if you don’t clean in between your teeth, you’ll still have plaque build up and get gingivitis, eventually periodontitis and gum recession and then it’s a wrap.

-> Brushing is just half the deal. The other half is flossing.

2. Good brushing technique
Another common cause of gum recession is brushing wrong or too aggressively, causing the gum tissue to recede from too much force over time. Generally, you should always opt for soft toothbrushes, brush gently and scrub away from the gum tissue. Especially people who have thinner gum tissue to begin with need to take extra care when brushing because thin gum tissue is more prone to recession.

Detailed explanation here:

3. Teeth grinding
When you put pressure on teeth by grinding them (often nightly grinding), you’ll also put pressure on the tooth membrane that surrounds the roots of your teeth. By putting pressure on the tooth membrane, you’re constricting blood supply to the surrounding bone and gum tissue. Overtime, this too can cause gums to recede. Using a night guard is therefore recommended.

Treating gum recession
Once your gums have receded, there are two major ways to treat the recession – gum grafts and what’s called the pinhole technique.

Gum grafting
Gum grafting is simply taking gum tissue from another area in the mouth and using it to replace the lost gum tissue from gum recession.

Pinhole technique
For the pinhole technique, a small pinhole is made in the affected gum tissue in order to losen it and pull it over recessed and exposed areas.

Gum graft VS pinhole technique comparison video:

Bottom line
It’s important to know that the more advanced the degree of gum disease and recession, the more difficult it is to treat. Therefore, it’s important to act early once you notice recession and make sure to prevent it happening in the first place, for both a healthier and more aesthetic smile.

If you want to find out more about the topic, check out Dr Joseph Nemeth's channel on Youtube:

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: horizontallytall, BrahminBoss, stevielake and 29 others

• +1
Reactions: ellisadrian and randomvanish

View attachment 1646087

Gingivitis - Gum disease

Gingivitis, also known as gum disease, is simply inflammation of the gum tissue. It’s pretty much always caused by a lack of oral hygiene (flossing), leaving the bacterial bio film to cause an immune response. A lot of people who have gingivitis do not know because their dentists do not tell them.

- Red/purple gum tissue
- Swollen gum tissue
- Bleeding gums

Treating Gingivitis
Gingivitis is treated with good oral hygiene. That is brushing two times and flossing once a day to get rid of all the plaque along with regular professional cleanings.

View attachment 1646089

If you have gingivitis (there's a good chance you do), get a dental cleaning and start flossing or using interdental brushes regularly to prevent plaque and tartar build up. Flossing with inflamed gums will cause them to bleed initially, but that will subside once the inflammation goes down.

Periodontitis
While not all cases of gingivitis lead to periodontitis, periodontitis is always preceded by gingivitis. That means periodontitis occurs when gingivitis is left untreated.

- Red/purple, swollen and bleeding gums (as with gingivitis)
- gum recession
- lose teeth
- eventually, tooth loss

View attachment 1646090

When your gum tissue recedes, the roots of your teeth may be exposed, your teeth will appear longer and “black triangles” (empty spaces between your teeth) will begin to form – it’s over.

Preventing gum recession

1. Oral hygiene

As stated earlier, gum recession is a common symptom of periodontitis. Then again, periodontitis is an advanced stage of gingivitis. Therefore, good dental hygiene in the form of regular plaque removal is essential. That also includes flossing. You can brush all you want, but if you don’t clean in between your teeth, you’ll still have plaque build up and get gingivitis, eventually periodontitis and gum recession and then it’s a wrap.

Another common cause of gum recession is brushing wrong or too aggressively, causing the gum tissue to recede from too much force over time. Generally, you should always opt for soft toothbrushes, brush gently and scrub away from the gum tissue. Especially people who have thinner gum tissue to begin with need to take extra care when brushing because thin gum tissue is more prone to recession.

3. Teeth grinding
When you put pressure on teeth by grinding them (often nightly grinding), you’ll also put pressure on the tooth membrane that surrounds the roots of your teeth. By putting pressure on the tooth membrane, you’re constricting blood supply to the surrounding bone and gum tissue. Overtime, this too can cause gums to recede. Using a night guard is therefore recommended.

Treating gum recession
Once your gums have receded, there are two major ways to treat the recession – gum grafts and what’s called the pinhole technique.

Gum grafting
Gum grafting is simply taking gum tissue from another area in the mouth and using it to replace the lost gum tissue from gum recession.

Pinhole technique
For the pinhole technique, a small pinhole is made in the affected gum tissue in order to losen it and pull it over recessed and exposed areas.

Gum graft VS Pinhole technique comparison video:

Bottom line
It’s important to know that the more advanced the degree of gum disease and recession, the more difficult it is to treat. Therefore, it’s important to act early once you notice recession and make sure to prevent it happening in the first place, for both a healthier and more aesthetic smile.

If you want to find out more about the topic, check out Dr Joseph Nemeth's channel on Youtube:

Good thread. Gums shouldnt be showed at all, gummy smiles are nasty but gum health is very underrated

Suprised you didnt measnt lasers

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 32640, Orvka381, AlexBrown84 and 2 others
Last edited:
  • JFL
Reactions: Lygodactylus
lifefuel my lack of brushing for the past 4 years is going to cause gum recession and make my teeth appear larger because they are too small lifefuel

• So Sad
Reactions: ifyouwannabemylover
Good thread
There is still a significant genetic factor for gigivintis and periodontis so if your parents got them you might be kind of fucked

• +1
Interesting, original thread. First thread I've seen on the topic in my time here.

• +1
Reactions: Schizomogger and ifyouwannabemylover
Good thread
There is still a significant genetic factor for gigivintis and periodontis so if your parents got them you might be kind of fucked
I think good habits combined with acting early and getting surgery early on when needed will probably keep damage at a minimum compared to most people who have meh oral hygiene habits and only get shit done when they're already fucked up.

There’s a good balance in between not having recessed old people guns and inflamed gums that can be achieved through lasers

My teeth are naturally small so I’m fucked 4 lyfe
1643C029 856F 491D 9F9B 7454518D2DDD

Lasers are really good though but I didn’t see many cosmetic dentists doing this in america. They usually use scalpel contouring. Laser contouring are common in Korea

• +1
Reactions: Toth's thot and ifyouwannabemylover
There’s a good balance in between not having recessed old people guns and inflamed gums that can be achieved through lasers

View attachment 1647364

Lasers are really good though but I didn’t see many cosmetic dentists doing this in america. They usually use scalpel contouring. Laser contouring are common in Korea
wasn't aware of laser treatments tbh. do some people actually get this to remove gum tissue and get "longer" teeth? reading rn

edit: seems they do

if you let me edit the post I might add something about that later @Alexanderr @AscendingHero

really good thread i also noticed my gums in my front teeth are slowly getting that triangle but it is not too bad

• Woah

View attachment 1647364

Small teeth? Must be a Jew trait:feelsmega:

• +1
Reactions: AlexBrown84

View attachment 1646087

Gingivitis - gum disease

- red/purple gum tissue
- swollen gum tissue
- bleeding gums

Treating gingivitis

View attachment 1646089

Periodontitis

- red/purple, swollen and bleeding gums (as with gingivitis)
- gum recession
- lose teeth
- eventually, tooth loss

View attachment 1646090

Preventing gum recession

1. Oral hygiene

-> Brushing is just half the deal. The other half is flossing.

3. Teeth grinding

Treating gum recession

Gum grafting

Pinhole technique

Gum graft VS pinhole technique comparison video:

Bottom line

Good thread

• Love it
also it should be mentioned that toothpaste and mouthwash with FLUORIDE are a great way to maintain gums health

Very good thread.

Also, gums that are prone to gingivitis are related to thin periodontal phenotype:

E7oPnYUWYAgEhIW.jpg:large

It can be changed from thin to thick with surgeries + orthodontic treatement, which are called "periodontal phenotype modification":

I'll have to look into this

also it should be mentioned that toothpaste and mouthwash with FLUORIDE are a great way to maintain gums health
are they? fluoride effect on teeth is a nobrainer but i haven't heard anything specific to gums

I'll have to look into this

are they? fluoride effect on teeth is a nobrainer but i haven't heard anything specific to gums

benefits of fluoride to prevent cavities are well-known, but I have read articles reporting that fluoride stops bacteria which harm teeth and gums

very interesting stuff, saving BOTB from the list of clone useless and water threads that plague it

• Love it
W thread

• +1
Reactions: LowTrust
I saw a lot of people with bad gum health in Europe when I was stay there. Is this genetic?

Yo bro I thought fluoride was bad for teeth? Elab
fluoride is bad for your body when consumed in large quantities but it strengthens your teeth and prevents cavities

• +1
Reactions: the_nextDavidLaid