Gummy smile: root causes and fixes

neithernorwood

neithernorwood

Iron
Excessive gummy smile is a universally unattractive feature on both men and women. Fortunately, it is usually possible to fix. Orthognathic surgery is typically suggested as the “proper” fix for most patients, but it may not always be the best option. There are many causes of gummy smile, and many different fixes. This post surveys the current research and highlights a few relatively unknown but promising permanent fixes for situations where the root cause is upper lip hypermobility.

Attribution: much of this post is inspired by these two slideshares:
Code:
https://www.slideshare.net/Yasmine_M_Hammad/gummy-smile-75638777
https://www.slideshare.net/marwanmouakeh/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-gummy-smile-30724980

POSSIBLE ROOT CAUSES FOR A GUMMY SMILE
  • Hard tissue
    • Excess downward vertical growth of the upper jawbone (VME)
    • Excess forward protrusion of the upper jawbone
  • Soft tissue
    • Hyperactive upper lip muscles (muscles move too much when smiling)
    • Short philtrum (distance between top of upper lip and bottom of nose)
  • Might be both
    • Short teeth crowns (vertical height of individual teeth is low)
Usually there’s a combination of several of these contributing to a gummy smile.

IDENTIFYING ROOT CAUSES FOR A PATIENT

Factors to evaluate:
  • Horizontal extent of gum show within the smile arch during full smile
  • Height of bottom third of face compared to the rest at rest with jaw/lips sealed
  • Interlabial distance at rest (vertical distance between lips)
  • Exposure of upper incisors at rest and speech
  • Shape of smile arc itself
  • Width and length of maxillary incisors
  • Philtrum length (average 24mm for men, 20mm for women)
  • Upper lip thickness
  • Movement of upper lip from rest to full smile
Code:
See the decision tree on slide 43 here:
https://www.slideshare.net/Yasmine_M_Hammad/gummy-smile-75638777

See the decision tree on slide 58 here:
https://www.slideshare.net/marwanmouakeh/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-gummy-smile-30724980

Notable: When interlabial space at rest is normal (1-3mm), gummy smile is considered to have a predominantly muscular origin. Hyperactive muscles are indicated when lip length is normal and the lower third of the face is proportional to the other thirds.

SOLUTIONS

For jawbone
  • Le Fort 1 osteotomy (remove part of upper jaw bone) video
    • Pros: permanent, fixes VME
    • Cons: expensive ($10k+), invasive, 4-6 week recovery time; risk of causing a protruding mouth link; might mess up facial growth in young people link
  • Le Fort 1 osteotomy with BSSO (double jaw surgery, aka “bimax”) video
    • Pros: permanent, fixes VME, also can get more forward growth
    • Cons: expensive ($10k+), invasive, 4-6 week recovery time
  • Intrusion of the upper incisors (braces to pull teeth up into jaw)
    • Pros: permanent, less invasive than jaw surgery, can be combined with other ortho
    • Cons: somewhat expensive ($5k+), takes many months, requires braces, doesn’t work for cases with >3mm
For short teeth crowns
  • Crown lengthening (recontouring of both gum and supporting bone) video video
    • Pros: permanent, less invasive than jaw surgery, proper fix for overgrown gums
    • Cons: somewhat expensive ($1k to $10k)
  • Gum contouring (recontouring the gum only) link
    • Pros: permanent, super fast recovery
    • Cons: only removes gum, which might not make that big of a difference. mild soreness, somewhat expensive ($300 - $3k)
  • Flossing [speculative]
    • Over the years flossing may reduce gum size
For hyperactive muscles
  • Botox in smile muscles
    • Pros: individual sessions are cheap, easy, no down time, effective
    • Cons: only lasts 3-4 months, risk of toxicity, only certain places offer this
  • Lip repositioning procedure (cut inside the vestibule of mouth and reattach)
    • Pros: semi-permanent (seems like years at least)
    • Cons: makes the lip appear fuller at rest. Not a good option if your lips are already full
  • Levator labii superioris (one or two) amputated at the junction with the orbicularis oris (link, link)
    • Cons: cause upper lip to hang down too far in repose (?)
  • Fat transplantation (link)
    • Pros: permanent or at least semi-permanent
    • Cons: not aware of any practices that offer this, adds to facial bloat (?)
  • Silicone implant below nose (link, link)
    • Pros: permanent
    • Cons: implant rejection (link); affects only the “up” muscles, not the “out” muscles (?)
For short philtrum
  • V-Y plasty link
    • Pros: Can lengthen philtrum
    • Cons: Makes you look older earlier. Generally short philtrum is better
  • Taping mouth shut at night [speculative]
    • Taping may pull down the philtrum
    • Philtrum drops as you age

DISCUSSION

Jaw surgery is the best long-term fix for many patients. For patients without jaw issues, Botox and lip repositioning are the most commonly known options. But each of these have downsides (short fix duration and fatter lips in repose, respectively). Silicone impact, fat transplantation, and muscle amputation may be worth considering in these cases as well.

Anything I missed? Would appreciate clarification on any of these if you know about them. Hope this helps some gummycels.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: conquistador, Kingkellz, Cain and 7 others
good first post bro, made me smile
85B87C79 FD86 4DC9 9283 162266DFC7E9

• JFL
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Constantin Denis, ovosoundszn, Finita Est and 6 others
AF546983 FECD 4911 825D 63E024C66543

• So Sad
  • Ugh..
  • Love it
Reactions: baku9, Slayercel, Spîke and 1 other person
Silicone implant below nose (link, link)

update: i talked to a plastic surgeon about this. it's super rare to find people that do this. was kinda an experimental thing in the 80s. apparently silicone implants here have issues with speech and high infection / placement issues since this part of the face gets a lot of muscle movement. so he recommended botox.

• +1
Reactions: Slayercel
Gum contouring (recontouring the gum only) link
  • Pros: permanent, super fast recovery
  • Cons: only removes gum, which might not make that big of a difference. mild soreness, somewhat expensive ($300 - $3k)

I really need this, as the vertical height or my teeth is really low and I have a slight gummy smile. Will probably be enough in my case

I didn't know you could lengthen the philtrum, interesting.

What we really need is LFS and SFS people to reproduce and have kids with perfect maxillary height 😄

• +1
Reactions: Constantin Denis
Another potential option: DNA appliance.

I believe DNA appliance is similar to MSE but considered inferior because it pushes teeth, not bone. That makes me wonder: could MSE improve gummy smile? Anyone seen that?

Here are some before/after pics with gummy smile and DNA appliance, but they look pretty sus to me:

After further research, I think the DNA appliance is by far the best option for most gummycels:

Parents who allow their children to mouth breath should lose custody. Mouth breathing is the root cause of most ugliness and it's 100% preventable.

• +1
Reactions: lksmxr
looks like it does wonders not just for gummy smile:

no braces, no surgery. 55:20 in video linked above

After further research, I think the DNA appliance is by far the best option for most gummycels:

View attachment 1159170

View attachment 1159173

Parents who allow their children to mouth breath should lose custody. Mouth breathing is the root cause of most ugliness and it's 100% preventable.

Dumb af. Their maxilla is exactly the same, they just smiled differently by positioning their upper lip lower.
Of course your dumbass fell for it tho

• +1
Reactions: Manfrommars
theyre still ugly though

>Dumb af. Their maxilla is exactly the same, they just smiled differently by positioning their upper lip lower.

Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm even replying to you. The state of this forum is trash compared to literally any other self-improvement forum. A reply like yours would be completely out of place on for example https://thunders.place or even lookism. But just to spite you, I'm going to make you look like a foolish idiot. Here's some before and afters:

Attachments

• 1622506159375.png
    1622506159375.png
    219.6 KB · Views: 39