Having BDD must suck

@IWantToMax Guys... you are telling my life with your words.

BDD can affect people no matter what they look like and also can be present in multiple ways in one individual.

I personally make a distinction:
-Delusional type BDD : you see and obsess over things that are not happening. For example looking a different way throughout the day.
There were days in which I could like the way I looked and I would keep checking on the mirror, and keep checking, and keep doing it, till eventually finding something that allegedly looks different.

- Non delusional BDD : what you are seeing is real, but doesn't necessarily mean that it's accurate, it might be or it might not, for example considering the size of your nose huge when in reality it's just fine.

It's more than "you're just ugly". You start to engage in behaviors such as avoiding social situations (you struggle going to class, make eye contact...), have rituals and beliefs about silly things that might make you look better/worse ( for example I usually think I look worse after having a shower, if I were to go somewhere important I'd probably shower one day before), constant mirror checking with variable degrees of emotion depending on how you look at that moment. .. among others.
This is not the case with people who don't look good but don't have BDD.

BDD has a high rate of comorbity with other mental illness such as SA and the longer we take to be aware of this situation the most damage our brain will be bound to suffer.

In my personal case despite any possibility of being just a genetic trait I do think that it was developed due to multiple detrimental circumstances present throughout my childhood phase.
Very good post. Everything feels so similar in my case.

My appearance changes through the day every day, I feel like I am losing FWHR from morning to night, my skin which I am obsessed with also completely changes (I have acne scars), sometimes it's bad and sometimes almost invisible and sometimes I am pale and sometimes I look decent.

I do avoid all possible social situations for the past 10 years of my life because I dont think people should look at me. I am scared of making eye contact with random women passing on the streets, sometimes I see very beautiful women but I dont want to look at them because it hurts me knowing that i am too ugly for them.
When i was younger i struggled with classes and then got kicked from highschool because of attendance (I just didnt want to go there even thought nobody bullied me anymore). Only now at 23 I am going to high school again because for past five years I havent been going out of my house due to how I looked, I didnt want anybody to see me.

Damn that's litterally the same way I feel. When I don't feel like I look good I avoid eye contact and become less social, until I can reassure myself of my looks with a mirror.
So same thing as you. I had very very rare days during which I would feel awesome for no particular reason, I just liked what I saw in the mirror and was actually mirin myself even - but last time I did such thing was months ago, it's like some extreme dopamine spikes in my brain.

My rituals, not sure but I think I look terrible if I dont wash my hair every day and shave.

Mirror checking as well, every time I go take a piss or brush my teeth I always stare in the mirror analyzing my face under different angles, checking how my skin looks, checking my 3/4 half profile and how my bones look like.
That's true, BDD is just a thing that paranoid people use to cope with being UGLY, so they will cope saying that the mirror is morphimg them to a bad/ugly version.
That's what I am afraid of. I might just be coping subconsciously thst I have BDD and my flaws are not true, and in reality I am 4/10 subhuman.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 2846, RAITEIII, IWantToMax and 1 other person
BDD is caused by being ugly in formative years, at least in my case. No ascension for your neurotransmitters

Looks are everytang
Health is everything, without heart, and brain, you'll most likely die. keep your health number one priority folks

• +1
Reactions: jjm4765
Relatable asf bro