How come like half of blacks with Brit accent sound obviously black, but half don't?

OldRooster

OldRooster

Get off my lawn!
Almost all, like 95%, of blacks in the US sound obviously black. But is seems like that it is 50/50 in the UK. It can be reasonably explained that blacks in the US are significant enough in numbers that they form their own enclaves that reinforce this speech pattern. But I don't think those enclaves exist in the UK.

Examples:
Black British woman that sounds black

Black British woman that does not sound black

• +1
Reactions: TheChosenChad, Beetlejuice and Xangsane
Depends on which accent they picked

• +1
Reactions: TheChosenChad, FailedNormieManlet and OldRooster
there are certain accents that require them to have a high pitched whiny nasally londoner sound

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19499 and OldRooster
It depends on your wealth and social class. I supposedly sound white, but I think I sound fairly south asian/british asian

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Toth's thot, TheChosenChad, Deleted member 19499 and 2 others
they both sound black to me

• +1
Reactions: OldRooster
i know when im speaking to an oriental man on the phone and black people most of the time.

When it comes to indians who are western they can trick me into thinking im talking to a white guy

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19499, Chadethnic101, PrinceLuenLeoncur and 1 other person
Because Brits are way more xenophobic and won't accept anyone who cannot talk like them

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19499 and OldRooster
Almost all, like 95%, of blacks in the US sound obviously black. But is seems like that it is 50/50 in the UK. It can be reasonably explained that blacks in the US are significant enough in numbers that they form their own enclaves that reinforce this speech pattern. But I don't think those enclaves exist in the UK.

Examples:
Black British woman that sounds black

Black British woman that does not sound black

We don’t have “racial” accents in the UK only class based accents huh vary from region. The one you heard was the lower class london accent pakis whites and blacks sound identical of this class region in London and southern England. Middle class people of all races sound identical here

• +1
Reactions: TheChosenChad, Chadethnic101 and OldRooster
It depends on your wealth and social class. I supposedly sound white, but I think I sound fairly south asian/british asian
Both sound identical to whites tbh. Blacks have a deeper tonality in their voice which can be picked up on especially with males but only if they have those JaFAKEian (fake Jamaican mixed) accents. But black white asian scoucers sound identical for example

• Woah
Reactions: FailedNormieManlet
Both sound identical to whites tbh. Blacks have a deeper tonality in their voice which can be picked up on especially with males but only if they have those JaFAKEian (fake Jamaican mixed) accents. But black white asian scoucers sound identical for example
Nah south Asians deffo have their own accent. It’s a bit more subtle, but it’s there

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 20679, Toth's thot, TheChosenChad and 1 other person
Nah south Asians deffo have their own accent. It’s a bit more subtle, but it’s there
Nar only paki ones do because they speak in Jafaican. But ones who don’t try to speak like black roadmen sound identical to white people that’s why curries and East Asians sound like whites. Blacks have a natrally deeper tonality prob due to higher DHT levels making them sound slightly different.

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane
We don’t have “racial” accents in the UK only class based accents huh vary from region. The one you heard was the lower class london accent pakis whites and blacks sound identical of this class region in London and southern England. Middle class people of all races sound identical here
This isn't true at all.

There is a distinct twang that ethnics in the UK usually have in their accents, no matter if they're working class or middle class.

The reason the second black woman in OP's post sounds more generically british is because her family came over back in the 1950s when immigration numbers were low, so she would have picked up her accent off white people alone. This is no longer the case for people who arrived in the 90s onwards (who tend to move to areas with high ethnic populations).

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20679, Deleted member 19499 and Xangsane
This isn't true at all.

There is a distinct twang that ethnics in the UK usually have in their accents, no matter if they're working class or middle class.

The reason the second black woman in OP's post sounds more generically british is because her family came over back in the 1950s when immigration numbers were low, so she would have picked up her accent off white people alone. This is no longer the case for people who arrived in the 90s onwards.
I'm always told I have a little twang in my otherwise home counties accent.

This isn't true at all.

The reason the second black woman in OP's post sounds more generically british is because her family came over back in the 1950s when immigration numbers were low, so she would have picked up her accent off white people alone. This is no longer the case for people who arrived in the 90s onwards.
Only blacks have this natural twang. Arabs and pakis put it on trying to sound differnt, look at middle class menas and curries they sound identical to whites, blacks just have a slightly differnt tonality range even when of equal upbringing. And even then it’s a slightly different thing

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19499 and Xangsane
Only blacks have this natural twang. Arabs and pakis put it on trying to sound differnt, look at middle class menas and curries they sound identical to whites, blacks just have a slightly differnt tonality range even when of equal upbringing. And even then it’s a slightly different thing

I disagree tbh, even pakistanis and indians tend to have a slight difference in their voice, not enough to give their specific ethnicity away but enough that you'd hear it and think "yeah, this person isn't white".

I agree that black people tend to have the most overt accents though.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20679, Deleted member 19499 and Xangsane
Nar only paki ones do because they speak in Jafaican. But ones who don’t try to speak like black roadmen sound identical to white people that’s why curries and East Asians sound like whites. Blacks have a natrally deeper tonality prob due to higher DHT levels making them sound slightly different.
Not true in the slightest, Brit Asian accent is real lol. Some do sound white, but it’s very subtle difference

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20679 and Toth's thot

Here's an example of these very slight accents, guy on the left has a working class variant, guy on the right has a middle class variant:

I disagree tbh, even pakistanis and indians tend to have a slight difference in their voice, not enough to give their specific ethnicity away but enough that you'd hear it and think "yeah, this person isn't white".

I agree that black people tend to have the most overt accents though.
It’s not really an accent just a weird tone that gives them away. Once again it’s because in the south and places like manny and brom they use a jafaikan accent, if you have been to liverpool or scortland you’d know curries and Arabs sound identical to whites it’s only blacks how Have a slight twang and that’s because jafakan accents haven’t permitted the northern regions of Britain yet.

• +1
Here's an example of these very slight accents, guy on the left has a working class variant, guy on the right has a middle class variant:

Yeah he’s trying to sound like a blskc dude. Meet south Asians who aren’t beggars like these sorry mother fuckers and you’ll know they alwys sound white or identical every time. I dunno what’s wrong with pakis and Arabs and their obession with sounding like black but at least Indians have the decency to not try to sound like another race

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: TheChosenChad, OldRooster, Xangsane and 1 other person
It’s not really an accent just a weird tone that gives them away. Once again it’s because in the south and places like manny and brom they use a jafaikan accent, if you have been to liverpool or scortland you’d know curries and Arabs sound identical to whites it’s only blacks how Have a slight twang and that’s because jafakan accents haven’t permitted the northern regions of Britain yet.

Interesting, to be fair I haven't been up north much so I can't refute what you've said

• +1
Reactions: OldRooster and Xangsane
Interesting, to be fair I haven't been up north much so I can't refute what you've said
I live in the north so I know what I’m speaking about. Only in Manchester do they sound differnt (once again curries and Arabs trying to copy blacks as usuall what a pathetic group) but leave there go Liverpool Leeds etc and everybody sounds identical only blacks have a slight “hmm this guy doesn’t sound white” thing going on and even then it’s slight.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: FailedNormieManlet
Do you not understand how globalization works

Depends if they were raised around whites or not as kids.

• +1
Depends if they were raised around whites or not as kids.
I made this point in the OP, in theory in the US there are enough blacks that they form their own enclaves and reinforce that black sound. I have never been to the UK, are there enough blacks that they can live in isolated enclaves that they would reinforce this black sound? Also, why is it that blacks in the UK that sound black sound very similar to blacks in NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19499
Also, why is it that blacks in the UK that sound black sound very similar to blacks in NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles?
Globalization, exposure to American culture, they talk like they see rappers and other famous black people talk, many regional accents in UK are in fact also disappearing or slowly fade away, the American influence through movies, tv shows, music, etc. is huge.

• +1
Reactions: TheChosenChad and OldRooster
Globalization, exposure to American culture, they talk like they see rappers and other famous black people talk, many regional accents in UK are in fact also disappearing or slowly fade away, the American influence through movies, tv shows, music, etc. is huge.
no. It much more closely resembles tribalism, the opposite of globalization.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Gonthar
Out topic im ethnic born oversea and everyone thought i never had an accent. But its prolly because i have rather an high pitched voice