How do you know if you have a recessed maxilla, and how can you fix a recessed maxilla

D

Deleted member 27148

Platinum
TItle, can anyone give me an example of a recessed, average, and good maxilla. Thanks

One is recessed
Two is normal
Last is good

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331_184041_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_184041_Samsung Internet.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 61OIzxsnPsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    61OIzxsnPsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • gettyimages-598576119-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-598576119-612x612.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Fiqh, vielz, LooksThinker and 16 others
  • +1
  • Hmm...
  • JFL
Reactions: LooksThinker, FinasterideAt17, SPFromNY914 and 8 others
Simple.

You see if your lower jaw is recessed which is way easier to tell.

If your lower jaw is recessed and your bite matches, then you know your maxilla is recessed. If you have an underbite then you know your maxilla is recessed. But obviously camouflage orthodontics is a thing, so if your lower jaw is perfect and your bite matches, you can tell if your maxilla is recessed because there will be a vertical line in your midface behind your nose as opposed to a diagonal as seen in the photo below.

C8AF602C C623 4B35 81BF 91B17A912675

• +1
Reactions: lemonnz and Mewton
Simple.

If your lower jaw is recessed and your bite matches, then you know your maxilla is recessed. If you have an underbite then you know your maxilla is recessed. But obviously camouflage orthodontics is a thing, so if your lower jaw is perfect and your bite matches, you can tell if your maxilla is recessed because there will be a vertical line in your midface behind your nose as opposed to a diagonal as seen in the photo below.

View attachment 2131838
over

Simple.

View attachment 2131838
I have an overbite, and my chin is hella recessed when I don't jut my teeth but my chin is pretty good when I do jut it. So I have a recessed maxilla?

• +1
Reactions: SPFromNY914
I have an overbite, and my chin is hella recessed when I don't jut my teeth but my chin is pretty good when I do jut it. So I have a recessed maxilla?
Your chin is just small or you have an overbite (recessed mandible).

My chin is pretty wide. What is this recessed mandible?
The focus here is on projection. You may have a wide chin but your mandible length might be low so your chin doesn't project much forward. Recessed mandible just means it's behind your maxilla. If your bite is good and you've never had braces, then your jaws are probably aligned and your chin is just small. If you have an overbite then your mandible could be recessed.

• +1
Reactions: SPFromNY914 and Deleted member 27148
Oh yeah I forgot to explain how to tell the status of ur maxilla if u have an overbite... simple, the way jaws work, theres basically ~0% chance that ur maxilla is PERFECT and only ur lower jaw grew incorrectly. So yeah ur maxilla is somewhat recessed.

Also u can tell in xray morphs. In order to get the most attractive lower jaw side profile, u would need to move ur maxilla if it was recessed cuz the maxilla teeth would block ur lower jaw from moving further towards the optimal spot.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 27148
if you have a weak under eye, it's recessed

• +1
Reactions: SPFromNY914
if you have a weak under eye, it's recessed
Yeah I have a recessed maxilla then. Do you know how to fix this or is surgery required?

You could still have lower maxillary forward growth with upper maxillary recession (chimp gave syndrome)

Simple.

View attachment 2131838
Can your upper maxilla be recessed while lower maxilla has reasonable forward growth?

• +1
Reactions: agoostis
Can your upper maxilla be recessed while lower maxilla has reasonable forward growth?
I dont get what this even means. I mean u can have upper teeth and alveolar bone that protrudes too far away from the boney part of the maxilla. But if u mean something else i cant say that ive ever heard of that and i cant picture it

Simple.

View attachment 2131838
I think have a recessed maxilla and lower jaw (my bite lines up perfectly, but I have that line near my mouth area, and my lower jaw doesn't come out too far despite having a decent gonial angle).

Can this be fixed with double jaw surgery?

Simple.

View attachment 2131838
what if my maxilla is not recessed but I still have a slight recessed chin?