How midface shortening surgeries are supposed to work?

Fairytale

Fairytale

Iron
@RealSurgerymax proposed two ways of dealing with long nose and midface; implants that drop the nasion and are supposed to shorten the root of nose and "very odd" modification of L3 that can either be designed to shorten nose or entire midface. Now I can imagine how midface lenghtening L3 or whatever would work- but with shortening its more tricky- bones would have to be rotated in such ways to pull soft tissues upwards..
And with dropping nasion I cant even imagine how it would make nostrils sit higher on a face.

• +1
Reactions: CopeTilliRope, soover4me, MTNAscension2 and 2 others
I do remember rsm talking about potential ways to shorten the midface. I still think its incredibly complicated and not reliable tho.

Short midface is cope

• +1
Reactions: Kaz
I do remember rsm talking about potential ways to shorten the midface. I still think its incredibly complicated and not reliable tho.
Why? He already had two cases where he shortened the nose from the root. Doesn't seem complicated.

And this is from like July 2023- I am pretty sure he had tons of other cases already
@RealSurgerymax

• +1
Reactions: Spip, mvp2v1, MTNAscension2 and 1 other person
when and where did he talk about this?

Why? He already had two cases where he shortened the nose from the root. Doesn't seem complicated.
View attachment 2750057
And this is from like July 2023- I am pretty sure he had tons of other cases already
@RealSurgerymax
Who gaf about shortening nose obvious its fucking rhino how the fuck to shorten the midface u useless fuckers

• JFL
Reactions: CarrotMaxxer
I do remember rsm talking about potential ways to shorten the midface. I still think it’s incredibly complicated and not reliable tho.
Brutally over for horsefacecels
@SyrianPsycho

Who gaf about shortening nose obvious its fucking rhino how the fuck to shorten the midface u useless fuckers
Rhino can't shorten nose; At best in can rotate tip upwards; it won't make alar base sit higher. Raising radix is a way to lift entire nose; it works like kinda like tent.

i need to know aswell how to shorten midface and philtrum

i need to know aswell how to shorten midface and philtrum
midface or midface ratio? Midface is fairly easy. You can get the nasion dropdown supraorbital implant, which in addition to lowering the nasion , lowers the eyebrows effectively reducing midface length. Rhinoplasty can also fix issue.

As for midface ratio, all we have now is Giant's OBO and the obscure oblique Lefort III AFAIK.

• +1
Reactions: panfacemogger
midface or midface ratio? Midface is fairly easy. You can get the nasion dropdown supraorbital implant, which in addition to lowering the nasion , lowers the eyebrows effectively reducing midface length. Rhinoplasty can also fix issue.

As for midface ratio, all we have now is Giant's OBO and the obscure oblique Lefort III AFAIK.
MFR could be improved via a lip lift if your philtrum is shit potentially, rhinoplasty can change a droopy nosetip resulting in a shorter looking nose. Philtrum column fillers also can mask philtrum length, only real things that can change mfr in some cases are
Rhino (depends on specific factors f.e. nose is droopy), lip lift, lf2-3 (if you're lucky and soft tissue is on your side) and obo as u said
essentially there aren't many options tho.

• +1
Reactions: MTNAscension2

I thought nasion dropping was supposed to shorten nose from the root.

• +1
instead of shortening mid face why don't u just increase upper and lower thirds?

• +1
instead of shortening mid face why don't u just increase upper and lower thirds?
Good point. Better to strive for balance than absolute craniofacial reconstruction jfl

Good point. Better to strive for balance than absolute craniofacial reconstruction (assuming one wants, but doesn’t need LF3)

• +1
Reactions: Vista