How the fuck does minoxidil ruin collagen?

D

Deleted member 40761

Gold
I see people all the time talking about "minoxidil reduces collagen" Wouldn't it only reduce collagen in the AREA YOU ARE APPLYING IT? If you apply minoxidil on your eyebrows or scalp, how the hell would it reduce the collagen on your face? I saw people ask this question before and no one gave a coherent answer.

I've been using it on my eyebrows for a year now and haven't noticed any changes to the fat pad around them, and I have extreme amounts of fat around my eyes so I'd quickly notice it if anyone.

that being said, I also use it on my scalp and back when my hair was longer stands with it would end up on my forehead and make it look worse, this is not from the minoxidil but it's from the alcohol it's contained in, it quickly went back to normal after I buzzed my hair since it doesn't end up on my forehead anymore, but it was not very significant.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 40761 and PseudoMaxxer
Because it doesnt affect the area u only apply in. But i havent lost collagen eitherway

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 40761 and Deleted member 50702
IIRC, it inhibits some enzymes and suppresses some collagen production growth factors.

So, I don't think you need to apply it to your face for it to have an impact. That aside though, the important question is to what extent the effects are noticeable.

The sun ages you as well, but takes years to have a noticeable influence.

IMO, there's a bit too much fearmongering on it ruining people's skin (and a lack of evidence of it). The dosage taken for hair growth will usually be relatively low as well. Not to mention you could microneedle to offset/negate the decrease in collagen production if need be.

For how widespread of a drug it is (millions of men & women on it), there's a distinct lack of discussion about the topic which indicates it isn't as perceptible as sometimes assumed.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 40761, Deleted member 50702 and ccwarrior
it has alcohol

• +1
Reactions: Baldingman1998
IIRC, it inhibits some enzymes and suppresses some collagen production growth factors.

So, I don't think you need to apply it to your face for it to have an impact. That aside though, the important question is to what extent the effects are noticeable.

The sun ages you as well, but takes years to have a noticeable influence.

IMO, there's a bit too much fearmongering on it ruining people's skin (and a lack of evidence of it). The dosage taken for hair growth will usually be relatively low as well. Not to mention you could microneedle to offset/negate the decrease in collagen production if need be.

For how widespread of a drug it is (millions of men & women on it), there's a distinct lack of discussion about the topic which indicates it isn't as perceptible as sometimes assumed.
it has alcohol
Thoughts on topical vs oral if your only goal is eyebrow/eyelash growth?

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr and Hebbley
i believe my results now?

i’d give tropical a go for a while. using on brows should cause it to work on lashes also but some claim it only worked on brows. for tropical very hit and miss if it will work and if it will transfer effect to lashes. in a few months if you see no progress maybe consider switching to oral. oral will definitely give you results on lashes and brows but will also give growth in everything else. if tropical works for you then you won’t need to use oral and can have the localised affect in lashes and brows, but if not, i suppose u have to decide if u don’t mind slightly more hair maintenance for better brows or lashes imo

i personally saw no negatives of oral.
more beard - shave
more body hair - trim
more lashes - good
better brows - good
darker brows - good (my eyebrows became darker, almost black from dark brown on oral minox )

plucking some hair everyday seems minor to me for the results

• +1
Reactions: ccwarrior
Topical application for the eyelashes is damn near impossible unless you plan on burning your eyes while doing so.

The alcohol content might also have an adverse effect on the skin around the eyebrows, not that I noticed but I did try topical for a few years (on and off for months usually). Those were the biggest reasons for my switch to oral.

Over the years, the most significant reason I've read to avoid oral would be cardiological concerns, which after some further digging seemed negligible. As it is a drug developed (though not commonly used for that purpose anymore) for hypertensives, it may have adverse side effects for those without the condition.

However, you've gotta remember the dosage those who are hypertensive take could easily be 5x-10x as much as you'd need for hair growth, and even then that doesn't mean the adverse side effects are a guarantee.

There was also a concern about possible heart palpitations, which are usually not serious but might still concern some people, in which case I don't see why you couldn't just discontinue use if you notice them frequently and they truly concern you.

From what I've read, the palpitations, if you do have them do seem to go away after the first week or two.

Personally, I haven't really noticed any, and I'm about ~4 months in.

I did have a cardiac check-up back in May (everything checked out just fine), and I'll have another this May again so I'll see if anything changed (doubt it).

In regards to the positives about oral, it's usually more effective for hair growth and results appear quicker. The effects are also systemic, so eyebrow and eyelash growth will happen (with growth everywhere else too, of course).

• +1
Reactions: ccwarrior, SeriousAscension and Orc
this is true but it's not unique in this, caffeine also suppresses collagen production for example.

most of you are already pumping yourselves full of compounds that do this.

• +1
Reactions: Alexanderr
Though, I'd probably first use topical for at least six months, and see how effective it was for you, before considering oral.
If it works, it works. It can also be a hassle to source oral minoxidil (unless you plan on consuming liquid minoxidil).

• +1
Reactions: ccwarrior
more beard - shave
more body hair - trim
more lashes - good
better brows - good
darker brows - good (my eyebrows became darker, almost black from dark brown on oral minox )
Will results stay even after you discontinue using oral minoxidil?

i believe my results now?

i’d give tropical a go for a while. using on brows should cause it to work on lashes also but some claim it only worked on brows. for tropical very hit and miss if it will work and if it will transfer effect to lashes. in a few months if you see no progress maybe consider switching to oral. oral will definitely give you results on lashes and brows but will also give growth in everything else. if tropical works for you then you won’t need to use oral and can have the localised affect in lashes and brows, but if not, i suppose u have to decide if u don’t mind slightly more hair maintenance for better brows or lashes imo

more beard - shave
more body hair - trim
more lashes - good
better brows - good

plucking some hair everyday seems minor to me for the results
did it also make you hair more pubic/ass hair ?