How to get over lingering feeling of failure for starting university late?

Deleted member 19551

Deleted member 19551

Equinox
I'm 22 and going into dental school in Dubai. Because of life, I took a break after high-school and studied for an associate's degree I might never use in my life for 2 years, worked odd jobs for another 2 and recently I enrolled in dental school and got accepted.

I'm currently flat broke but live with my parents. I don't need to save money for any hardmax or any surgery so money isn't a pressing issue for me. It's an ethnic country so dental school here only takes 5 years instead of 8 years like in the US and UK. Factor in speciality like periodontics and orthodontics and school might take me up to 8-9 years.

The only upside is that I'm studying with 0 tuition fees. How do I cope knowing that my classmates are gonna be a bunch of 18-19 year old NT baby ass faced young bucks with their entire life ahead of them meanwhile I have fine lines on my fucking forehead already?

It's like a lingering fucking feeling that keeps gnawing away at my confidence daily.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 17763, Deleted member 9779, π€π¬π¬π²π«π’πšπ§ π–πšπ«π«π’π¨π« and 1 other person
If you look younger for your age then you can larp as their age

• +1
Reactions: Chadethnic101, Deleted member 9779, sergeant blackpill and 1 other person
If you look younger for your age then you can larp as their age
LOL I have looked 30 years old since I was 18. Masc med pheno. However I think I'm gonna look 30 for the next 10 years too. Should I larp anyway?

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard
LOL I have looked 30 years old since I was 18. Masc med pheno. However I think I'm gonna look 30 for the next 10 years too. Should I larp anyway?
If Amnesia can larp and he's in his 30s then yeah.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19551
If Amnesia can larp and he's in his 30s then yeah.
I guess you're right but my issue is more so an irrational sadness that I started late, going to finish late and they'll on average have more prime to live while they work. Fucking sheltered lifestyle caused me to just develop socially so much slower. Appreciate your perspective.

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Deleted member 19499 and Prince88
I might be starting uni when I'm 21 but luckily I got a baby face and can easily larp as 18.

I know it sounds like generic advice but you just have to stop comparing yourself to others, everyone is on their own path in life. Some people will be ahead of you and some people will be behind you.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Hombremacho, Danish_Retard, Deleted member 19499 and 1 other person
I might be starting uni when I'm 21 but luckily I got a baby face and can easily larp as 18.

I know it sounds like generic advice but you just have to stop comparing yourself to others, everyone is on their own path in life. Some people will be ahead of you and some people will be behind you.
The only thing that helped me cope with this is "life is not fair". There are people born rich, innocent children dying in wars, people starving, people dumping fresh food, billionaires, etc. This planet is fucked.

• +1
Reactions: π€π¬π¬π²π«π’πšπ§ π–πšπ«π«π’π¨π«, Danish_Retard and Prince88
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19499
The only thing that helped me cope with this is "life is not fair". There are people born rich, innocent children dying in wars, people starving, people dumping fresh food, billionaires, etc. This planet is fucked.
That's a way I cope by remembering there's always people who have it alot worse. There's people who would kill to have the opportunities you're having.

• +1
Reactions: TrestIsBest
That's a way I cope by remembering there's always people who have it alot worse. There's people who would kill to have the opportunities you're having.
I guess the difference is that those people are your direct competition and in your close social vicinity, so I guess your brain is more likely to compare itself to those people in your class, even though you'll never see any of them ever again and they'll go back to being your distant competition after you graduate so it doesn't matter. Also being early 20s might be a slight advantage in terms of looks since you're fully developed. My jaw grew a TON from 18 to 21 years old.

• +1
Reactions: Prince88
Accept accountability for your actions and move forward

There's nothing you can do for the lost time

• +1
Reactions: BoneDensity, Sigmamale, π€π¬π¬π²π«π’πšπ§ π–πšπ«π«π’π¨π« and 6 others
Dentistry in the UK is 5/6 years

• +1
Accept accountability for your actions and move forward

There's nothing you can do for the lost time
I know that's I have to do, it's just REALLY hard to get over it. I essentially need to wageslave in the rat race for 4 years longer than my peers unless they completely fuck up financially.

accept your misfortune
I also had alot of misfortune in my life and specifically in my childhood

there is nothing you can but change

accept it and move on

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard and Deleted member 19551
accept your misfortune
I also had alot of misfortune in my life and specifically in my childhood

there is nothing you can but change

accept it and move on
This is the only answer. It seems like cope but you can only accept it, people telling you to pretend you are younger that shit doesn't work. Unless you wanna pretend you are a totally different person and never tell the truth to potential new friends or girlfriends. 22 is not old I didn't go to to school until I was 25 it was sometimes brought up but it was never a big deal. There were people way older than me studying its mostly in your head.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19551, π€π¬π¬π²π«π’πšπ§ π–πšπ«π«π’π¨π« and Wannabe6ft2
This is the only answer. It seems like cope but you can only accept it, people telling you to pretend you are younger that shit doesn't work. Unless you wanna pretend you are a totally different person and never tell the truth to potential new friends or girlfriends. 22 is not old I didn't go to to school until I was 25 it was sometimes brought up but it was never a big deal. There were people way older than me studying its mostly in your head.
you are not the center of the world
you are not the center of the talk
non of us are
it's all in your head
and just move on

• +1