How to Grow Taller/Look more confident/Reduce back pain (Kinda Clickbait)

Tricky

Tricky

Resident Professor
Most of you have shitty posture, so I wrote this guide to help improve it.

Here's why you should care:

1. Correct posture could add an inch or more to your perceived height
2. For those with nagging back pain or fatigue, fixing your posture may help
3. Correct posture makes your shoulders appear wider, and generally appear larger in size

If you don't give a shit about these things, then leave. If this isn't worth your time, go find something else to do.

Basic Info about Posture

90% of people have issues due to Cervical and Thoracic extension. This means that either one or both of these sections are loaded in shear, meaning they're bent "forwards", forcing each vertebra into anterior rotation and lessening the load on the musculature in your back. So in essence, we're asking muscles to do a job they're not used to performing.

What does good Posture feel like?

Take a deep breath into your chest and hold it. You should feel your stomach sucking inwards, and your rib-cage expanding and rising slightly. Exhale, but maintain the position you held before. Check in a mirror if you want to be sure, but this should place your shoulders and spine into the correct position. While walking and sitting, perform this movement and hold for as long as you can. If you slip out of posture, just take the same breath and hold again. You WILL feel signs of fatigue, so just keep at it.

Quick ways to reduce bad lifestyle choices

-Your monitor should be at eye level. If not, angle it upwards so you're forced to look forwards instead of down.
-When sitting for long periods of time, make sure that you're not hunched over. Press your neck/upper back against the chair, along with your butt.
-When driving, keep the back of your head against the headrest (unless required to safely drive)
-Don't sleep on your stomach. If you cannot stop this habit, get a face pillow like the type they use in massage clinics.
-Keep your keyboard and mouse close to your arms. Reaching forward constantly will force you to internally rotate your shoulders, which is a bad thing for posture.
-If you sit down for a long period of time on a regular basis, you probably have tight hip flexors. Perform this stretch daily for 10 second on either side to loosen them.

Not-So-Quick ways to fix posture

-See a Chiropractor. Misalignment's in your spine can make it difficult to hold correct form. Keep in mind that this comes with a caveat, which is that you ALSO do the thing below.
-Train your back. Pullups, Barbell/Dumbell Rows, Deadlifts, ect. By making your back stronger, it will become easier to hold good posture.
-Purchase a new chair. If your current chair is very poorly designed, it could save you some time and effort to get an ergonomic one.

Final thoughts

There's no easy timetable for how long this will take, and there are lifestyle factors that may hinder your progress. However, if you stick with it for 30 days, I promise that you'll see a very noticeable change in your unconscious posture.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401, 11gaijin, Littleboy and 5 others
This is definitely worth the read boyos. I fucked up my back earlier this summer and when I fixed my posture it went away really quick

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401 and Littleboy
This, THIS is a legit thread
If you don't give a shit about these things, then leave. If this isn't worth your time, go find something else to do.
pls no salt

• +1
I already have great posture but it doesn't matter since I also have scoliosis,lordosis,and kyphosis so I will never be as tall as I was meant to be:feelsbadman:

• +1
I already have great posture but it doesn't matter since I also have scoliosis,lordosis,and kyphosis so I will never be as tall as I was meant to be:feelsbadman:

Same here. Added osteoporosis to that and suspected fractures but I ain't giving up. Until somebody else has put me 6 ft under. I won't ever give up.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6401
Same here. Added osteoporosis to that and suspected fractures but I ain't giving up. Until somebody else has put me 6 ft under. I won't ever give up.
how do you cope? I take B6, D3, Glucosamine sulfate, and do wide-grip pullups for back muscles everyday.

• +1
how do you cope? I take B6, D3, Glucosamine sulfate, and do wide-grip pullups for back muscles everyday.

Only God knows how. TBH. NGL.

Your copes. Interesting. D3 as in D3 Forte Calcichew? B6 as in Vitamin B and I've heard Glucosamine Sulfate. I'll have to do Wide-Grip pull ups but I can only use the machine though. Not normal pull ups. Can you do normal pull ups & chin ups? I'd love to be able TBF. Problem is that my wrists & forearms are as skinny as anything due to Cushing Syndrome legacy.

• +1
D3 as in D3 Forte Calcichew? .
Just regular vitamin D3 (10,000 IU)
Not normal pull ups. Can you do normal pull ups & chin ups? I'd love to be able TBF. Problem is that my wrists & forearms are as skinny as anything due to Cushing Syndrome legacy.
Yes. Start with the machines and once you're comfortable then you can progress to hanging bar pull ups. It will greatly benefit your posture and ease lower back pain (but only if done correctly). You should be able to complete 10 consecutive pull ups by the first month.

• +1
Just regular vitamin D3 (10,000 IU)

Yes. Start with the machines and once you're comfortable then you can progress to hanging bar pull ups. It will greatly benefit your posture and ease lower back pain (but only if done correctly). You should be able to complete 10 consecutive pull ups by the first month.

How frequently and how long do you exercise on the pull up machines to start normal pull ups? Would central or abdominal fatness reduce your pull up capability especially if you've got skinny arms?

• +1
Would central or abdominal fatness reduce your pull up capability especially if you've got skinny arms?
I don't know. It's got more to do with grip strength rather than the size of your forearms.

How frequently and how long do you exercise on the pull up machines to start normal pull ups
I don't use them anymore, but it was recommended to practice with them before transitioning to real pull-ups, especially since I have weak back and shoulder muscles, in order to prevent injury. From what I understand, the greater the weight selected (on the machine), the less resistance there will be. Choose a heavy weight and keep going down until you can perform them unassisted.

• +1
I don't know. It's got more to do with grip strength rather than the size of your forearms.

I don't use them anymore, but it was recommended to practice with them before transitioning to real pull-ups, especially since I have weak back and shoulder muscles, in order to prevent injury. From what I understand, the greater the weight selected (on the machine), the less resistance there will be. Choose a heavy weight and keep going down until you can perform them unassisted.

Thanks. Will give it a shot.

• +1
Thank you for the post man, I have really poor posture so I'll benefit from this.

Also swimming makes you taller for sure. I easily reached my genetic potential as I was forced to swim from age 6 every week

Last edited:
  • +1
Good post boyo

• +1
Thank you for the post man, I have really poor posture so I'll benefit from this.

Also swimming makes you taller for sure. I easily reached my genetic potential as I was forced to swim from age 6 every week
True

• +1