How to layer tretinoin with other active ingredients?

igbekele007

igbekele007

subliminalmaxxer
No skin for my face but still:

What I know: hyaluronic acid, niacinamide and peptides are recommended to be used with tret.

Aha/bha and exfoliators are recommended not be on the same routine with tret.

As for the HA, niacinamide and peptides, what is the correct way to layer them with tret? Would it be cope to use them alongside tret in the first place?

First of all it depends on your skin reaction to tret
It's normal?
It's very dry?
It gets irritated?

Because obviously things changes, and the time you're gonna spend applying all of these change

About aha/bha imho you can do it like once a week once your skin is adjusted to tret

• Love it
Reactions: igbekele007
First of all it depends on your skin reaction to tret
It's normal?
It's very dry?
It gets irritated?

Because obviously things changes, and the time you're gonna spend applying all of these change

About aha/bha imho you can do it like once a week once your skin is adjusted to tret
Tbh I’m still waiting for my tret shipment. I used 1% retinol before (utter cope) with zero irritation. I would say I have combination type of skin. Nothing ever irritated my skin because of all the oil.

About the aha/bha, I really want to run them as well because they were giving me a nice glow. When the time comes, how will I incorporate them with tret? Skip tret one night and apply those? Or apply aha/bha in the morning and tret at night?

• +1
Reactions: khvirgin
Tbh I’m still waiting for my tret shipment. I used 1% retinol before (utter cope) with zero irritation. I would say I have combination type of skin. Nothing ever irritated my skin because of all the oil.

About the aha/bha, I really want to run them as well because they were giving me a nice glow. When the time comes, how will I incorporate them with tret? Skip tret one night and apply those? Or apply aha/bha in the morning and tret at night?
Yeah you shouldn't use it in the same routine because it can led to over exfoliation
I would say use tret and let it adjust for like a month or two until your build tolerance
This could also show you that maybe you wouldn't need aha/bha (unless you have scars to fade or something)
Then you could try aha/bha in the mornings and tret in the evenings, and if you can tolerate that you could skip tren once a week and do it
It all comes to your reaction is really trial and error

• Love it
Yeah you shouldn't use it in the same routine because it can led to over exfoliation
I would say use tret and let it adjust for like a month or two until your build tolerance
This could also show you that maybe you wouldn't need aha/bha (unless you have scars to fade or something)
Then you could try aha/bha in the mornings and tret in the evenings, and if you can tolerate that you could skip tren once a week and do it
Based G. Thank you.

From my personal experience, I tried using hyaluronic acid at night w/ tret and niacinamide and vit C in the morning and it irritated my skin. Definitely start off with only tret for a while, then add the other actives one by one gauging how your skin reacts. If there's irritation then you know the ingredients aren't reacting well. For layering, apply tret first, niacinamide and then hyaluronic acid. This is assuming your skin can handle all of these at once.

• Love it
@Gandy @Prettyboy @Ada Mustang tagging a few looksmax vets

Fresh out of shower (and exfoliation or steaming), tretinoin. Let it dry for a couple minutes. If it's in a very thick gel form then up to 10 minutes. After it has dried you apply the serum (a very good serum would be a ghk-cu or copper peptide like NIOD's CAIS 3 copper peptide serum).

Then you let that dry, and you seal it in with either a very basic moisturizer (even a cheap occlusive like Nivea or Vaseline will work) or a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid.

Then you go to sleep and wake up with gradually better skin week after week. And change pillowcases frequently
You shouldn't do this routine during the day because tretinoin makes you skin very sensitive to sunlight.

That's all you need for perfect skin unless your diet or hormones are causing acne or redness. No need for a 10 step expensive korean 'glass skin' routine.

• JFL
Reactions: AlexBrown84
Fresh out of shower (and exfoliation or steaming), tretinoin. Let it dry for a couple minutes. If it's in a very thick gel form then up to 10 minutes. After it has dried you apply the serum (a very good serum would be a ghk-cu or copper peptide like NIOD's CAIS 3 copper peptide serum).

Then you let that dry, and you seal it in with either a very basic moisturizer (even a cheap occlusive like Nivea or Vaseline will work) or a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid.

Then you go to sleep and wake up with gradually better skin week after week. And change pillowcases frequently
You shouldn't do this routine during the day because tretinoin makes you skin very sensitive to sunlight.

That's all you need for perfect skin unless your diet or hormones are causing acne or redness. No need for a 10 step expensive korean 'glass skin' routine.

I usually do not shower at night, but in the mornings. So, can I do a simple cleansing before applying tret? Would it be enough?

Also, wouldn’t doing exfoliation and tret on the same routine be too harsh on the skin?

Last edited:
I usually do not shower at night, but in the mornings. So, can I do a simple cleansing before applying tret? Would it be enough?

Also, wouldn’t doing exfoliation and tret on the same routine be too harsh on the skin?
Not necessarily - though I only mean a gentle exfoliation, not something harsh with AHA's or any kind of acids in general.

It will penetrate clean skin more efficiently compared to having dead skin cells on the surface of the skin. Which will in turn cause even more internal exfoliation through tretinoin creating a positive cycle.

Simply rinsing your face with water wont get rid of dead skin cells.

Not necessarily - though I only mean a gentle exfoliation, not something harsh with AHA's or any kind of acids in general.

It will penetrate clean skin more efficiently compared to having dead skin cells on the surface of the skin. Which will in turn cause even more internal exfoliation through tretinoin creating a positive cycle.

Simply rinsing your face with water wont get rid of dead skin cells.
https://www.sephora.com/product/kal...ENFe442hCfPyUFO2zLRoCYcsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I cleanse with this, don't simply rinse with water. Don't you think this is enough?

@Gandy @Prettyboy @Ada Mustang tagging a few looksmax vets
Wait atleast 30 minutes before applying moisturizer or any other active ingredient on your face, so that the retinol can be absorbed to an fuller extend

is it normal that my skin can take like 13 min aha bha and not even notice it?

is it normal that my skin can take like 13 min aha bha and not even notice it?
there's no normal or anormal, every skin is different
Usually people don't do it for over 10 minutes.
You're using the ordinary's one?

• +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS
there's no normal or anormal, every skin is different
Usually people don't do it for over 10 minutes.
You're using the ordinary's one?
yeah :feelshmm: tried 7 min, didn't notice anything then 10 min didn't notice anything then 13 min didn't notice anything. but I guess I shouldn't go er on my skin too hard :feelswhere:

• +1
Reactions: khvirgin