Discussion How to learn advanced english vocabulary?

whatamIdoinwithmylyf

whatamIdoinwithmylyf

Buy Floki inu, its urgent
Time online
70d 15h 49m
I want to start learning 20-50 advanced english words everyday. words that i can incorporate in my daily english to make me sound smarter or words used in corporate environment. where do I find advanced words to learn, I searched some anki decks but there doesn't seem to exist anything. is there a baseline for advanced english vocabulary.

whatamIdoinwithmylyf

whatamIdoinwithmylyf

Buy Floki inu, its urgent
Time online
70d 15h 49m
randomvanish said:
read recent bestsellers until you can talk with new wors easily in a casual talk.
reading takes a lot of time, I just need a source where I can memorise advanced vocabulary with en-en meaning and maybe a sentence example with it.

randomvanish

randomvanish

Zephir
Time online
187d 5h 53m
whatamIdoinwithmylyf said:
reading takes a lot of time, I just need a source where I can memorise advanced vocabulary with en-en meaning and maybe a sentence example with it.
like that, you can only "fake" it. memorize most used 3000 words then but i doubt if you can enhance really like that.

Gonthar

Gonthar

Zephir
Time online
300d 16h 13m
You're gonna forget those new words very fast if you don't read them repeatedly and used in various sentences and contexts...

Incellectually_Shy

Incellectually_Shy

Instructor
Time online
15d 13h 6m
"advanced English" is a vague term. There are countless variants of the English dialect and even more variations of vocabulary within those dialects.

If you want to learn corporate lingo, read corporate texts. That is, read documents(PDFS; plenty of free ones on Google using search engine operators) and books on corporate systems and structure. You'll discover new words and writing styles by doing so.

chaddyboi66

chaddyboi66

E V I S C E M O G G E R
Time online
45d 11h 12m
L

Lorsss

wanna be more maskio
Time online
122d 23h 55m
I want to start learning 20-50 advanced english words everyday. words that i can incorporate in my daily english to make me sound smarter or words used in corporate environment. where do I find advanced words to learn, I searched some anki decks but there doesn't seem to exist anything. is there a baseline for advanced english vocabulary.

reading and writing on looksmax helped me a lot in improving my formal inglish, I widened my vocabulary and improved the way I connect phrases.
I suggest reading scientific studies on the subjects you are interested in, to really learn a good use of English

A

Alexanderr

Mod
Time online
227d 11h 9m
I want to start learning 20-50 advanced english words everyday.
You’ll probably forget 90% of those the very next day, besides, they’ll most likely be redundant as well as you’ll very rarely have to use them.

Furthermore, learning the meaning of the words isn’t enough, you need to know when and how to use them, if you cannot properly incorporate the advanced words while constructing your sentences, they’ll just sound off.

That being said, I’ll tell you how I extended my vocabulary, it was mostly trough reading and writing.

I read a lot of books a few years back and would often search up the meanings for the words I did not understand and would only resume once I had comprehended them. You’ll also subconsciously grasp the meaning of certain words you’ve repeatedly read (or heard) in certain contexts.

Lastly, when writing, I often search up synonyms for certain words that better express what I wish to portray in my text, I also don’t like repeating a lot of words very often.

BoosterShotEnjoyer

BoosterShotEnjoyer

Banned
Time online
5d 1h 36m
read a dictionary, very useful for finding and looking up words and more rewarding than a phone
searching up synonyms to expand on a simple word helps too

make sure you're still coherent, when people plug in a bunch of words it can be very obvious and esl-like

Kylo

Kylo

Mage
Time online
47d 12h 51m
Bewusst

Bewusst

crippled by botox
Time online
166d 6h 22m
Lorsss said:
Interacting with people on looksmax improved my formal English considerably. It enabled me to expand my vocabulary and improved my ability to connect phrases.
I suggest (that) you read scientific studies about topics of your interest to enhance your English skills
Fixed it for you, perhaps you learn something

lutte

lutte

💤
Time online
294d 20m
Reading is the best way to learn languages anything else, like anki decks and shit, is a waste of time and will only get you to a certain level

Wallenberg

Wallenberg

Zephir
Time online
131d 1h 17m
lutte said:
Reading is the best way to learn languages anything else, like anki decks and shit, is a waste of time and will only get you to a certain level
Anki is good at the beginning and if learning specific vocab. Reading is the best way overall.

gamma

gamma

γ
Time online
138d 12h 39m
lutte said:
How to learn pronunciation and accent though

lutte

lutte

💤
Time online
294d 20m
gamma said:
Learn about phonology

lutte

lutte

💤
Time online
294d 20m
Wallenberg said:
Anki is good at the beginning and if learning specific vocab. Reading is the best way overall.
Yes you need to get reading real texts asap

Bewusst

Bewusst

crippled by botox
Time online
166d 6h 22m
gamma said:
Videos, movies, listening to podcasts, talking to native speakers

Users who are viewing this thread