How to properly identify a recessed maxilla

puppymaxer

puppymaxer

Ascension
I believe that I have a recessed maxilla, but after sending a picture of my side profile to a variety of users, I've gotten very mixed answers. What is the best way to know if you have a recessed maxilla that is a stand alone reason (for example, bad undereye support could be lack of sleep, genetics, etc)? According to the triangle test my maxilla is fine, but I have a lot of the common problems similar to someone diagnosed with a recessed maxilla would have.

• +1
Reactions: thecel
You can literally see if it’s recessed
Genetics or mouth breathing is the problem
If anything on your face is recessed tbh your maxilla is recessed
Even your lower third because the mandible follows behind the maxilla

• +1
Reactions: Mikecel
You can literally see if it’s recessed
Genetics or mouth breathing is the problem
If anything on your face is recessed tbh your maxilla is recessed
Even your lower third because the mandible follows behind the maxilla
how can u see?

• +1
Reactions: puppymaxer
how can u tell?
Forward mace

Starting from the top, the cheek line and upper lip indicate the position of the upper jaw. On a recessed face the cheek line slopes downward and the upper lip retrudes backward giving a wide angle relative to the nose (nasolabial). On a forward faces the cheek line still slopes downward but on a more forward angle and the upper lip protrudes forward giving a narrow angle.

Moving down, the lower lip and jawline indicate the position of the lower jaw. On a recessed face the jawline is short and obscure and the lower lip protrudes forward giving a wide angle relative to the chin (mentolabial). On a forward face the jawline is long and defined and the lower lip retrudes backward giving a narrow angle.

Basically in short,
  1. cheek line: flat vs sloping
  2. upper lip (nasolabial angle): wide vs narrow
  3. lower lip (mentolabial angle): wide vs narrow
  4. jawline: short and obscure vs long and defined

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: rolloftape and Icon
View attachment 375235
Starting from the top, the cheek line and upper lip indicate the position of the upper jaw. On a recessed face the cheek line slopes downward and the upper lip retrudes backward giving a wide angle relative to the nose (nasolabial). On a forward faces the cheek line still slopes downward but on a more forward angle and the upper lip protrudes forward giving a narrow angle.

Moving down, the lower lip and jawline indicate the position of the lower jaw. On a recessed face the jawline is short and obscure and the lower lip protrudes forward giving a wide angle relative to the chin (mentolabial). On a forward face the jawline is long and defined and the lower lip retrudes backward giving a narrow angle.

Basically in short,
  1. cheek line: flat vs sloping
  2. upper lip (nasolabial angle): wide vs narrow
  3. lower lip (mentolabial angle): wide vs narrow
  4. jawline: short and obscure vs long and defined

You seem to know a good amount about this, I tried identifying this but I'm still kind of unclear. Could you assess my possible recession in DMs?

You seem to know a good amount about this, I tried identifying this but I'm still kind of unclear. Could you assess my possible recession in DMs?
sure dm me and ill tell u what u can work on