I do one set of deadlifts in the gym and I'm utterly exhausted and unable to do anything all day

apocalypse

apocalypse

It’s pretty taxing ya

What is your goal? Build muscle mass or strength?

If your goal is to build muscle mass, take some plates off the bar. You want to have enough in the tank to do 2 sets of 5 reps. And also have the energy for the rest of your workout. I'm doing 3 day-on 1 day-off PPL. I don't even bother with conventional deadlift because it's not ideal for muscular hypertrophy. I do Romanian deadlifts once every 8 days (Leg Day B) 3x6-8 and that's it. RDLs are better for hypertrophy because you have to control the eccentric.

If your goal is to build strength, well if you want to build strength in other muscle groups then you still need to take some plates off the bar. If you can't do 1 set of 5 reps 1.5 times per week without exhausting yourself, you're lifting too heavy. Here's the Starting Strength program.
starting-strength.png

Last edited:
What is your goal? Build muscle mass or strength?

If your goal is to build muscle mass, take some plates off the bar. You want to have enough in the tank to do 2 sets of 5 reps. And also have the energy for the rest of your workout.

If your goal is to build strength, well if you want to build strength in other muscle groups then you still need to take some plates off the bar. If you can't do 1 set of 5 reps 1.5 times per week without exhausting yourself, you're lifting too heavy. Here's the Starting Strength program.
starting-strength.png
I do heaviest deads I can 1.5 times a week yeh
I just need to stop being a pussy

I do heaviest deads I can 1.5 times a week yeh
I just need to stop being a pussy
If your goal is looksmaxxing, you don't even need to be doing conventional deadlifts. IFBB 1980 Mr. Universe Tom Platz has spoken out against the risk-to-reward ratio of deadlifts for decades. RDLs are fantastic for hamstrings, glutes, erector spinae, lower back, adductors. Conventional deadlift has some advantages over RDLs but you can hit those other muscles with other exercises and fatigue yourself a lot less.

You want to hit quads? Squat, leg press, leg extensions.
You want to hit traps? Seated cable row or bent-over-row to your chin (I use those exercises to target lats because my lats are under-developed and my traps are Chadlet tier). Face Pulls (also hits rear delts). You don't need to bother with shrugs unless your trap genetics suck.
Lats? So many options. Wide grip Pull-ups. Chin-ups (less so I think?). Lat Pulldowns. Seated Cable Row to your stomach/hips. Bent-Over-Row (barbell/dumbbell) or One-Arm Dumbbell Row bring elbows back to your hips.
Rhomboids? Seated Cable Row to Chest. Bent-Over-Row or Dumbbell Rows to Chest. Some sort of Lat Pulldown variation can do it too. T-Bar Landmine Rows to your Chest.
Forearms? So many exercises hit forearms secondarily. And just hauling weights. But you can do hammer curls, reverse barbell curls if necessary.
Core? So many exercises hit core. But if you really want to isolate, Decline Sit-Ups (45 degree angle). Cable Crunches (kneeling). For obliques, Side Plank on forearm.

If your goal is to get into powerlifting then sure conventional deadlifts are unavoidable as its part of the Big 3 lifts.

• +1
Reactions: autistic_tendencies
Exercise is bad for u.