I finally finished my graduation/ Answering questions about careers in statistics and applied math

Tropical Tyrone

Tropical Tyrone

Zephir
I finally finished my degree, (computer science with emphasis on statistics and applied math). I am currently in an internship and preparing to be hired effectively in the areas of quant risk management, derivative structuring and algorithmic trading in an investment firm.
I had an excellent academic performance and great networking with companies and firms that partner with the university, so they gave me great opportunities to start in a "high position".

If anyone has questions about the prospects that careers in statistics or applied math can provide, I can try to answer them. Right away I can say that these are areas that pay very well, but obviously... you have to be good with numbers and graduated in good university, not necessarily an Ivy League university but still a good one.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15854, Deleted member 5815, Deleted member 16369 and 3 others
You live in Brazil right? I doubt your experience will be of any help to those in western countries

Please go back to posting nudes of the women you slayer

• JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 16369, Danish_Retard, Hero of the Imperium and 1 other person
Is it similar to Data Science ?

You live in Brazil right? I doubt your experience will be of any help to those in western countries

Please go back to posting nudes of the women you slayer
I was studying like a bastard, I didn't have any time to get any women, I didn't post here for months. Sorry boyo

Last edited:
Is it similar to Data Science ?
Yes, I would say that data science is statistics applied in programming (generalization), but the thing is people that work in data science do a lot of things like Data Mining, Business Intelligence & Businness Analytics, Data Engineering and Data Warehousing, Machine Learning and etc.. So as you can see it is very focused in programming and computer scince minded in "data"
The statistician can work with these same things but his knowledge is general and focused on general mathematical and orthodox methods such as; Descriptive statistics like variance, mean, median, and mode standard deviation... And Inferential statistics that include regression analysis, linear analysis of variance, logit/Probit models, and null hypothesis testing. He can work in areas of Actuarial science, Biostatistics, Econometrics, Epidemiology, Machine learning, Operations research, Management science, Quality control and more...

• +1
Reactions: Xangsane and Deleted member 15791
How many hours were you studying per day?

How many hours were you studying per day?
About 2 hours by myself, 4 in classes and 6 working in the intership job, so yeah... I was almost dying of exhaustion.

• So Sad
Reactions: Xangsane and Hipcel
from the great richard feynman

Then something happened which was totally unexpected for me. One of the students got up and said, “I’m one of the two students whom Mr. Feynman referred to at the end of his talk. I was not educated in Brazil; I was educated in Germany, and I’ve just come to Brazil this year.”
The other student who had done well in class had a similar thing to say. And the professor I had mentioned got up and said, “I was educated here in Brazil during the war, when, fortunately, all of the professors had left the university, so I learned everything by reading alone. Therefore I was not really educated under the Brazilian system.”
I didn’t expect that. I knew the system was bad, but 100 percent – it was terrible!

brutal

bonus: more bs from the u.s. state department
Since I had gone to Brazil under a program sponsored by the United States Government, I was asked by the State Department to write a report about my experiences in Brazil, so I wrote out the essentials of the speech I had just given. I found out later through the grapevine that the reaction of somebody in the State Department was, “That shows you how dangerous it is to send somebody to Brazil who is so naive. Foolish fellow; he can only cause trouble. He didn’t understand the problems.” Quite the contrary! I think this person in the State Department was naive to think that because he saw a university with a list of courses and descriptions, that’s what it was.
feynman died in the 80s. the state department has been thinking like this for a very long time

over for the west

Last edited:
from the great richard feynman

brutal

bonus: more bs from the u.s. state department

feynman died in the 80s. the state department has been thinking like this for a very long time

over for the west
Here in Brazil we talk a lot about this specific case where Dr. Richard Feynman gives his feedback on Brazilian education.
However, Dr. Richard Feynman's criticisms focus on the teaching of physics in brazilian universities, not to mention that this was decades ago.
I had a good education, academic performance so... I understand what Richard Feynman comes from but I didn't find any problems in my teaching where he points.

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard and Hero of the Imperium
How did you overcome the boredom? Studying deprives you dopamine to the point it becomes disgusting.

I finally finished my degree, (computer science with emphasis on statistics and applied math). I am currently in an internship and preparing to be hired effectively in the areas of quant risk management, derivative structuring and algorithmic trading in an investment firm.
I had an excellent academic performance and great networking with companies and firms that partner with the university, so they gave me great opportunities to start in a "high position".

If anyone has questions about the prospects that careers in statistics or applied math can provide, I can try to answer them. Right away I can say that these are areas that pay very well, but obviously... you have to be good with numbers and graduated in good university, not necessarily an Ivy League university but still a good one.
I just started my first year in uni I have always struggled with maths in high school how do I get better at maths?

Im currently a Mech Engineering Major but I am thinking about maybe trying to do applied Mathematics as a backup, what should I do if I am coming from a community college?

Ever thought about going deep on AI or do you think it's just a fad?

Did you find the study boring? Sounds mind-numbing to me but the abilities you get sound foolish.

Damn a hardworking black person, meanwhile I got shit for all work ethic.