I was wrong I was wrong I was wrong!

SayNoToRotting

SayNoToRotting

Kraken
Turns out I made a terrible mistake by spreading false information about the nature of rapid and slow maxillary expansions.

Turns out that rapid maxillary expansion is actually better than slow, according to this study that I have just stumbled across:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5484271/
(2017)

Even more ashamed of my mistake am I, because I know exactly where the fuck I got the misinformation about the supposed superiority of slow maxillary expansion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_expansion#Rapid_Palatal_Expansion

Slow expansion techniques expands maxilla at a much slower rate compare to the rapid maxillary expansion technique. In slow expansion technique, a patient is ordered to turn the screw 4 times which amounts of 1mm per week. Patient is instructed to turn the jackscrew at the same rate for next 8–10 weeks to achieve the desired expansion. This slow rate of expansion allows skeletal and dental changes to happen in a 1:1 ratio. This means that equal amount of dental and skeletal expansion is achieved, compared to RME technique where mostly skeletal expansion is achieved initially.

Yes- I let a wikepedia excerpt fool me. An excerpt without a link to a study...

I thought i could trust it, I didn't question it at first.

This is the only scrap of information I got from wikepedia, I promise

@CopeAndRope @HighTierNormie @FatJattMofo

• +1
Reactions: HighTierNormie, Deleted member 2227, Lorsss and 2 others
Turns out I made a terrible mistake by spreading false information about the nature of rapid and slow maxillary expansions.

Turns out that rapid maxillary expansion is actually better than slow, according to this study that I have just stumbled across:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5484271/
(2017)

Even more ashamed of my mistake am I, because I know exactly where the fuck I got the misinformation about the supposed superiority of slow maxillary expansion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_expansion#Rapid_Palatal_Expansion

Yes- I let a wikepedia excerpt fool me. An excerpt without a link to a study...

I thought i could trust it, I didn't question it at first.

This is the only scrap of information I got from wikepedia, I promise

@CopeAndRope @HighTierNormie @FatJattMofo
So, you're saying that a rapid expansion will have a greater effect on the surrounding bones?

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
wait a secon.d does this mean that hard mewing is better for widening the palate?
than "softer" mewing
than "softer" mewing

wait a secon.d does this mean that hard mewing is better for widening the palate?
I think it's different here because you push from deep within the skull, actively on all the maxillary structures, and not passively like P expanders, which push on the teeth.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: FatJattMofo
where is mse placed then?
I mean if we are talking about raw mechanics then it's right between normal palatal expanders and mewing.

What I am dying to learn more about is chewing. Because from what I have heard in an orthodontic lecture on youtube (which has sadly been deleted now), and what is implied in this study (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b82c/636cf1eb600eff326f2d6c1cf3089315099a.pdf ), it actually helps to shape bone in the way we want to.

(There are many studies linked that directly discuss the issue, but so far I have been too much of a low attentionspancel, lazycel to read through all of them)

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: IWantToMax
I mean if we are talknig about raw mechanics then it's right between normal palatal expanders and mewing.

What I am dying to learn more about is chewing. Because from what I have heard in an orthodontic lecture on youtube (which has sadly been deleted now), and what is implied in this study (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b82c/636cf1eb600eff326f2d6c1cf3089315099a.pdf
), it actually helps to shape bone in the way we want to.
how do you mean want to? do you mean the whole face or just the mandible ?

I believe it's understandable for blacks to be proud of their race but I think it's racist for whites to do so due to history

• JFL
Reactions: OOGABOOGA, CopeAndRope, SayNoToRotting and 1 other person
I believe it's understandable for blacks to be proud of their race but I think it's racist for whites to do so due to history
africans being proud of their races and whites in the united states fucked everything up. because everyone there doesnt know where they are from its not germanic and med its just white european and its not some fucking african country and the other its just black.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 685
how do you mean want to? do you mean the whole face or just the mandible ?
We're talking about the maxilla here but what I meant to say is that the way chewing shapes the maxilla harmonizes with our personal ideas of a good face.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 685 and FatJattMofo
We're talking about the maxilla here but what I meant to say is that the way chewing shapes the maxilla harmonizes with our personal ideas of a good face.
does this change the way we should all chew or is it still the same?

• +1
Reactions: SayNoToRotting and Deleted member 685
i remember reading a lookism thread on chewing and the guys there claimed that hard chewing pressed their teeth into their gums and made their jaw slanted or something
how does chewing affect facial bones anyway?

i remember reading a lookism thread on chewing and the guys there claimed that hard chewing pressed their teeth into their gums and made their jaw slanted or something
how does chewing affect facial bones anyway?
Slanted in which direction

Last edited:
it was a measurable change on mice after feeding them hard food and they claim it could be a future treatment for jaw deformities so probs worth it

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: kota and IWantToMax