If you go to a really good Uni, you could major in underwater basket weaving and still get a good job

D

Deleted member 6186

Zephir
I saw two profiles on Linkedin today. One majored in fucking Theology and even did a PHD in it. The other majored in classics and ancient latin/greek.

Now they are CFA holders and work as Portfolio Manager for one of the biggest asset management firms (Think Blackrock) to pick stuff to invest in and grow the Billion dollar portfolio. They are probably making 3x your annual salary in just bonuses alone.

The catch is they were from Oxbridge.

It really isn't fucking fair. You could be suffering all day trying to do a electrical engineering circuit assignment. Yet if you didn't go to a highly known school, your job prospect will be lower than these guys. These same dudes who spent all their time partying and fucking young foids during their college years.

School name > All

• +1
  • JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: Rich/Jewish_Gooner$, Stingray, BigBoy and 14 others
You wrote that yourself? wow congrats dude, really, that's very cool. i just told everyone in my family about it, everybody thinks that's very impressive and asked me to congratulate you. they want to speak to you in person, if possible, to give you their regards. they also said they will tell our distant relatives in Christmas supper and in NYE they will ignite fireworks that spell your name. i also told about this enormous deed to closer relatives, they had the same reaction. they asked for your address so they can send congratulatory cards and messages. my friends didn't believe me when i told them i knew the author of this gigantic feat, really, they were dumbstruck, they said they will make your name echo through years and years to come. when my neighbor found out about what you did, he was completely dumbstruck too, he wanted to know who you are and he asked (if you have the time, of course) if you could stop by to receive gifts, congratulations and handshakes. with the spreading of the news, a powerful businessman of the area decided to hire you as the CEO of his company because of this tremendous feat and at the same time an important international shareholder wants to sponsor you to give speeches and teach everybody how to do as you did so the world becomes a better place. you have become famous not only here but also everywhere, everybody knows who you are. the news spread really fast and mayors of all cities are setting up porticos, balloons, colossal boom speakers, anything that can make your name stand out more and see which city can congratulate you the hardest for this magnificent feat.

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: BigBoy, Earn__Greatness, Deleted member 4612 and 4 others
E91C0D23 8727 4F86 B6C7 AA4719D743CB

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: BigBoy, Earn__Greatness, Deleted member 4797 and 3 others
If you go to a really good expensive Uni

gl getting into oxbridge without rich parents

• +1
Reactions: Stingray, Deleted member 3043 and Deleted member 6997
@Collagen or rope moment

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6573

• WTF
Reactions: some1h0peless
Guaranteed they're Jews

School name > All
No. What you really like, and therefore are good at it > all, because you'll be the best at it, and you won't be depressed everyday to wake up to work for it. Life is too short to live for contingent societal values of what's good or not to do as a degree or as a Uni.

• +1
Reactions: Mateusz74, Hero of the Imperium, johncruz12345 and 3 others
Really really really high iq post

I approve of this post

As does my Princeton degree

• JFL
Reactions: BigBoy, Hero of the Imperium and Copeful
A good school can facilitate success and make getting your foot in the door much easier in many places/fields, but if you go to a decent school and are competent you'll still be relatively successful. It's not about competing with the extremely rich who have their lives handed to them on a silver platter but more about making a decent life for yourself (to me, a decent life means upper middle class, and that's a goal that's reachable for anyone living in the first world regardless of their current socioeconomic status with the right field, mindset and hard work).

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9072, BigBoy, Deleted member 3270 and 3 others
A good school can facilitate success and make getting your foot in the door much easier in many places/fields, but if you go to a decent school and are competent you'll still be relatively successful. It's not about competing with the extremely rich who have their lives handed to them on a silver platter but more about making a decent life for yourself (to me, a decent life means upper middle class, and that's a goal that's reachable for anyone living in the first world regardless of their current socioeconomic status with the right field, mindset and hard work).
I don't know how it works exactly in the US, but i agree. Here in EU, those who are the richest, tends to also have the monopoly of the cultural and social "capital" : They usually have some people in their families who are teachers in HS/UNI, and they are given all the hidden meaning behind the examinations, and how to prepare themselves from an early age. The poorest don't have this access, and no matter what, unless way more gifted than them, they will still be below them scholarshiply wise, and somehow it's screwed. I had to be fully in Uni to see it by myself, they are very good at hiding it.

• +1
Reactions: sytyl
I saw two profiles on Linkedin today. One majored in fucking Theology and even did a PHD in it. The other majored in classics and ancient latin/greek.

Now they are CFA holders and work as Portfolio Manager for one of the biggest asset management firms (Think Blackrock) to pick stuff to invest in and grow the Billion dollar portfolio. They are probably making 3x your annual salary in just bonuses alone.

It really isn't fucking fair. You could be suffering all day trying to do a electrical engineering circuit assignment. Yet if you didn't go to a highly known school, your job prospect will be lower than these guys. These same dudes who spent all their time partying and fucking young foids during their college years.

School name > All
Lol. This is a big fat lie. Imagine trying to impress wall street with a non quant degree. Are you the chink who was in marketing trying to get into ws? You are one of his alts for sure hahaha. What a clown.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Tall
I don't know how it works exactly in the US, but i agree. Here in EU, those who are the richest, tends to also have the monopoly of the cultural and social "capital" : They usually have some people in their families who are teachers in HS/UNI, and they are given all the hidden meaning behind the examinations, and how to prepare themselves from an early age. The poorest don't have this access, and no matter what, unless way more gifted than them, they will still be below them scholarshiply wise, and somehow it's screwed. I had to be fully in Uni to see it by myself, they are very good at hiding it.
Yeah it's the same in north america too, it's harder for those who are poorer/without family members who went to university/without family members that hold good jobs etc. to achieve the same but it's not impossible, there's lots of room and opportunity for upwards mobility here.

As a crude example, a rich white kid with doctor parents will find it to be much easier to get into medical school for example as he'll have way more opportunities for achieving all the prerequisites needed to get into medicine here than someone whose parents are immigrants without the same connections/knowledge. Someone who grows up in the ghetto will not have nurtured the same mindset as someone who grew up in a middle class suburb and so on. Success propels success, it is what it is.

Either way, in my opinion if you're able to find a site like this... you have no excuse not to succeed in life academically/job wise at least if you set your mind on it.

• Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 3043
Lol. This is a big fat lie. Imagine trying to impress wall street with a non quant degree. Are you the chink who was in marketing trying to get into ws? You are one of his alts for sure hahaha. What a clown.
Sure. Tell wall street that Soros, Icahn, Leon Black, Stephen A. Schwarzman Larry Fink, Peter Lynch etc they aren't impressive lol

This is just STEM incel cope. You guy will be code monkeys while Non-Quant guys will be ones earning the actual money

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 6273
Sure. Tell wall street that Soros, Icahn, Leon Black, Stephen A. Schwarzman Larry Fink, Peter Lynch etc they aren't impressive lol

This is just STEM incel cope. You guy will be code monkeys while Non-Quant guys will be ones earning the actual money
Most of those guys have strong quant backgrounds, are you retarded or what?

Damn the level of stupidity here is astonishing.

Most of those guys have strong quant backgrounds, are you retarded or what?
Sorry but I didn't know majoring in Political Science or History counts as a quant background lol

Most of them at least have an mba in harvard. Try to get nowadays to the harvard mba with a non quant degree idiot. Also, you should be baned for having an alt.

Also, when those guys made their fortune ws didnt have the amount of quants it has now. How are you planning on beating phds in math and stats with your marketing degree? You must be able to beat quants at trading or other finance jobs to have a chance.Companies want you to make money for them, how can you beat me at trading? Thats what they care about.

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
And no, you are not making any connections. Because you are a poor chink with no pedigree. Chads coming from rich usa families will make connections (which they already have) and fuck stacies, you wont.

Also, when those guys made their fortune ws didnt have the amount of quants it has now. How are you planning on beating phds in math and stats with your marketing degree? You must be able to beat quants at trading or other finance jobs to have a chance.Companies want you to make money for them, how can you beat me at trading? Thats what they care about.
If I'm a portfolio manager, I get my traders to do the fighting. My job is ensure my investments are good. Thats why you have someone like Ray Dalio who's at the top despite having quant skills that are basic compared the Quant Fund geniuses.

Also a guy who majored in marketing will generally not make it in wall street. Not because of the marketing major itself. But because no good school offers Marketing as a major since its low class. Will Harvard, Oxbridge, École normale supérieure etc offer marketing degrees? Of course not lol. They don't offer accounting as a major either! So majoring in marketing means you went to a shit school and it was over before he began. Its different from History or Philosophy which are considered high class.

• +1
Reactions: Tall
If I'm a portfolio manager, I get my traders to do the fighting. My job is ensure my investments are good. Thats why you have someone like Ray Dalio who's at the top despite having quant skills that are basic compared the Quant Fund geniuses.

Also a guy who majored in marketing will generally not make it in wall street. Not because of the marketing major itself. But because no good school offers Marketing as a major since its low class. Will Harvard, Oxbridge, École normale supérieure etc offer marketing degrees? Of course not lol. They don't offer accounting as a major either! So majoring in marketing means you went to a shit school and it was over before he began. Its different from History or Philosophy which are considered high class.
You are not and never will be a portfolio manager. Times have changed. You are very delusional. You will end up with a useless degree. Keep dreaming. You wont scam wall street.

• +1
you have to be utterly retarded to get into history when your plan is to get into wall street. Plain simple.

• +1
Classics, if it's not woke garbage, is actually the smartest on campus, after physics.

Definitely the smartest non STEM

lifefuel for my degree in theoretical physics

zero application to the industry, but the university is ranked in the top 10

• +1
Reactions: Hero of the Imperium

School name > All
Those are good and respectable things to study

And connections > all

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer, Deleted member 1332 and Hero of the Imperium
Yeah it's the same in north america too, it's harder for those who are poorer/without family members who went to university/without family members that hold good jobs etc. to achieve the same but it's not impossible, there's lots of room and opportunity for upwards mobility here.

As a crude example, a rich white kid with doctor parents will find it to be much easier to get into medical school for example as he'll have way more opportunities for achieving all the prerequisites needed to get into medicine here than someone whose parents are immigrants without the same connections/knowledge. Someone who grows up in the ghetto will not have nurtured the same mindset as someone who grew up in a middle class suburb and so on. Success propels success, it is what it is.

It's the other way around, affirmative action is extreme here and is getting worse, gifting us with a touch of the old world

While technically a bad background has an effect, as it would on anyone, those are just sweet words and nice stories. You have to have the intellectual horsepower, for one

• +1
Reactions: sytyl
It's the other way around, affirmative action is extreme here and is getting worse, gifting us with a touch of the old world

While technically a bad background has an effect, as it would on anyone, those are just sweet words and nice stories. You have to have the intellectual horsepower, for one
nah I agree, affirmative action makes it really easy for people who want to get out of a bad situation to get out, my point in that post still stands, success propels success and if you come from an educated family you'll likely also succeed by whatever metric you wish to measure success by

If you go to a really good expensive Uni

gl getting into oxbridge without rich parents
You're retarded. University fees are the same in the UK, whether it is the University of Cumbria, or the University of Cambridge.
Thanks for the mention.
Regarding this post, yes it is true to an extent. I think this post overlooks two major things however
1) The various fields of the finance industry (with varying compensation and career paths)
2) The future of the finance industry

Let's talk about 1) You are really referring to one side of finance. Investment banking, private equity, and some hedge funds. Many hedge funds, and trading divisons in investment banks and prop shops won't even look at you without a STEM degree. These places also tend to pay higher since you usally get a % bonus based on how much you make for the firm, and it is a lot more meritocratic. Progression in the more quantitaive areas of finance are more straightforward: You make money, you get promoted and earn more money yourself. Whereas in IB or the IB -> PE route in general, there is a lot of cock sucking involved, whether it is to your clients or your superiors. In PE you will never make partner because of carry and share economics, whereas traders have made partner at Goldman in just 4 years.

Moving on to 2). The future is uncertain, but I can bet you that technology is the future of all industries, including finance. There will still be people making deals of course, but the money already is a lot better on the quantitative side of things. As everything gets more quantitative, it's better to get a STEM degree than not to, especially when you're paying that much money - like seriously, who would spend thousands to study history when you can just read a book about it jfl.

• +1
Reactions: Tall, Deleted member 5292, EverythingMattersCel and 1 other person
No. What you really like, and therefore are good at it > all, because you'll be the best at it, and you won't be depressed everyday to wake up to work for it. Life is too short to live for contingent societal values of what's good or not to do as a degree or as a Uni.
Wrong. It's what you're good at, therefore you like it.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 4887 and Deleted member 3043
You're retarded. University fees are the same in the UK, whether it is the University of Cumbria, or the University of Cambridge.
Undergraduate yearly tuition costs for internationals at cambridge:

Between £21,168 and £55,272

Where the fuck am I supposed to get 25.000-65.000 euro from for just tuition, let alone accomodation and so on.
Are you fucking retarded? Not everyone lives in the US/UK.

I studied with the absolute elite of the netherlands, and they studied together with me at some standard shitty dutch university because Cambridge was unaffordable. Talking about students that legit made the news for breaking previous records on how well you can do academically. There's no fucking scholarship or anything in this country.

Last edited:
  • +1
So, at the masters’ level for the 2020-2021 academic year, international students pay between £26,208 to £34,296.

Where the fuck am I supposed to get 35.000 euro from for just tuition, let alone accomodation and so on.

Are you fucking retarded? Not everyone lives in the US/UK.
it's much worse in the US. i'm from the UK and 9k a year is pretty good for here. but international students get scholarships like crazy here, so its not hard if you are smart enough - you don't need to be rich.

it's much worse in the US. i'm from the UK and 9k a year is pretty good for here. but international students get scholarships like crazy here, so its not hard if you are smart enough - you don't need to be rich.

I studied with the absolute elite of the netherlands, and they studied together with me at some standard shitty dutch university because Cambridge was unaffordable. Talking about students that legit made the news for breaking previous records on how well you can do academically. There's no fucking scholarship or anything in this country.

never began for Russell-Group-but-not-Oxbridgecels

In Finance its definitely about the Uni name

But Not so much in every other sector

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 5292

School name > All
Ok but it’s your fault you weren’t doing shit during high school

• +1

Thanks for the mention.
Regarding this post, yes it is true to an extent. I think this post overlooks two major things however
1) The various fields of the finance industry (with varying compensation and career paths)
2) The future of the finance industry

Let's talk about 1) You are really referring to one side of finance. Investment banking, private equity, and some hedge funds. Many hedge funds, and trading divisons in investment banks and prop shops won't even look at you without a STEM degree. These places also tend to pay higher since you usally get a % bonus based on how much you make for the firm, and it is a lot more meritocratic. Progression in the more quantitaive areas of finance are more straightforward: You make money, you get promoted and earn more money yourself. Whereas in IB or the IB -> PE route in general, there is a lot of cock sucking involved, whether it is to your clients or your superiors. In PE you will never make partner because of carry and share economics, whereas traders have made partner at Goldman in just 4 years.

Moving on to 2). The future is uncertain, but I can bet you that technology is the future of all industries, including finance. There will still be people making deals of course, but the money already is a lot better on the quantitative side of things. As everything gets more quantitative, it's better to get a STEM degree than not to, especially when you're paying that much money - like seriously, who would spend thousands to study history when you can just read a book about it jfl.
So much this.

• +1
In Finance its definitely about the Uni name

But Not so much in every other sector
And consulting
And medicine
And law
And even politics which is supposed to be decided by people voting

What a coincidence most of the most lucrative fields are decided by how "Prestigious" your uni name is

Something like tech is supposed to be more mixed since anyone with dedication and enough IQ can pick up programming. Yet Stanford alumni represent a massive proportion of successful start up founders in silicon valley. Doesn't even need to be a Stanford CS major. Look at Peter Thiel, one of the most successful tech Venture Capitalists.

Last edited:
  • +1
And consulting
And medicine
And law

What a coincidence most of the most lucrative fields are decided by how "Prestigious" your uni name is

Something like tech is supposed to be more mixed since anyone with dedication and enough IQ can pick up programming. Yet Stanford alumni represent a massive proportion of successful start up founders in silicon valley. Doesn't even need to be a Stanford CS major. Look at Peter Thiel, one of the most successful tech Venture Capitalists.
Try working as a doctor in a hospital without a medicine degree. Imbecile.

• +1
And consulting
And medicine
And law

If you want to work in finance you should be able to answer without google this questions and 100s of similar questions in a job interview:
1-what is the beta of a stock.
2-explain black scholes models and the greeks.
3-explain the difference between vasicek and CIR model for interest rates.
4- explain how it works a CDS.
5-real options vs DCF for company valuations.
7- which machine learning algos are suitable for time series predictions and which are not.
Try answering those questions with a history degree idiot.
And remember, you cannot google because at a given point you will have a face to face interview where this questions will be asked.

• +1
And consulting
And medicine
And law

Medicine definitely doesn't depend on uni name

Kind of agree with the rest

Medicine definitely doesn't depend on uni name

Kind of agree with the rest
Are you fucking idiot? Try to file a legal demand without being a lawyer, with a history degree for example. Whats wrong with people here?

• +1
Are you fucking idiot? Try to file a legal demand without being a lawyer, with a history degree for example. Whats wrong with people here?
I think he meant a law student from Harvard has it much easier than a law student from Ohio

But for other degrees than finance/law this contrast isn't that bad

I think he meant a law student from Harvard has it much easier than a law student from Ohio

But for other degrees than finance/law this contrast isn't that bad
no he did not mean that. He says that history from harvard allows you to go to wall street.
What you say is less wrong tho. Its better to go to a good uni than a bad one. But we are talking about the same degrees. He says that any degree from harvard or oxford is better for finance or other fields than the proper degree for each field.

• +1
no he did not mean that. He says that history from harvard allows you to go to wall street.
What you say is less wrong tho. Its better to go to a good uni than a bad one. But we are talking about the same degrees. He says that any degree from harvard or oxford is better for finance or other fields than the proper degree for each field.
I was actually. I was responding to someone else so we were talking about something different. Your uni name is what people look at first for many prestigious jobs unless its a uni with a special niche. Eg U Illinois for Computer Science

And yeah a person with a history degree from Harvard will beat a guy with a Finance degree from Florda State Unviersity. Its called being a "Target School" with "on-campus recruiting". Do the big banks even come to Florida State Uni to do on campus recruting? lol

Thats why you have people like this

And if you wonder how can they pass the interview, they just need to go to this website to learn everything they need about actual Investment Banking. To enter medicine or law, you need to go through medical/law school by law. For wall street or management consulting there is no such legal requirement.

Last edited:
I was actually. I was responding to someone else so we were talking about something different. Your uni name is what people look at first for many prestigious jobs unless its a uni with a special niche. Eg U Illinois for Computer Science

And yeah a person with a history degree from Harvard will beat a guy with a Finance degree from Florda State Unviersity. Its called being a "Target School" with "on-campus recruiting". Do the big banks even come to Florida State Uni to do on campus recruting? lol

Thats why you have people like this

And if you wonder how can they pass the interview, they just need to go to this website to learn everything they need about actual Investment Banking. To enter medicine or law, you need to go through medical/law school by law. For wall street or management consulting there is no such legal requirement.

You are retarded. Enjoy failure.

Try to learn investment banking with only 2 or 3 days before an interview. You have down syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back