If your goal is only forward facial growth without rotation , don't get jaw surgery.

lungisani

lungisani

Silver
Distraction osteogenesis is a lot better option in this context. It doesn't require the complete severing of the bone , so the recovery time is much faster.

In terms of pain , it's incredibly laughable. There almost isn't any. The kids who get it at my local hospital are still able to go home on the same day after getting the distraction device installed. The only real downside is temporary speech issues caused by having metal in your mouth.

In terms of gaining length, it beats jaw surgery in any category you can think of.

It's a very underrated procedure, I implore you guys to consider it.

• +1
  • Woah
  • JFL
Reactions: MogTheMogger, oatmeal, Deleted member 8869 and 4 others
Was expecting mew ngl

Distraction osteogenesis is a lot better option in this context. It doesn't require the complete severing of the bone , so the recovery time is much faster.

In terms of pain , it's incredibly laughable. There almost isn't any. The kids who get it at my local hospital are still able to go home on the same day after getting the distraction device installed. The only real downside is temporary speech issues caused by having metal in your mouth.

In terms of gaining length, it beats jaw surgery in any category you can think of.

Do they do it for looks only?

any age restriction ??

just a few milimeters bruh.
If it's for medical reasons , then yes obviously your physician will do the lowest amount that will relieve your particular ailment .

I'm talking about aesthetic goals. There are many surgeons who routinely do it for aesthetic purposes , especially in India.

Theres really no limit on the surgery itself (within reason of course) , the only limit is what the physician is comfortable with.

Distraction Osteogenesis for what brah, Maxilla? Mandible?

Distraction Osteogenesis (Imdo from Paul Coceancig) for mandibular body costs between 20K-80K jfl
BSSO and Lefort are much cheaper, are they not??

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 8988

Distraction Osteogenesis (Imdo from Paul Coceancig) for mandibular body costs between 20K-80K jfl
The range in India/Africa is 4k to 8k in US dollars. Check out Dr Balaji.

• Woah
Reactions: ChristianChad
In terms of complications it should be superior indeed, and you can possibly get away with bigger movements. But what kind of distractions and dustractors do you mean? Anchoring to skull in this one seems to be brutal thing.
Gr1

• +1

Just ralised I didn't answer the first question.

You usually move both the maxilla and mandible because they have to be the same size. The maxilla screws are placed right behind the front teeth , while the mandible screws are placed right behind your last lower molars.

• +1
In terms of complications it should be superior indeed, and you can possibly get away with bigger movements. But what kind of distractions and dustractors do you mean? Anchoring to skull in this one seems to be brutal thing. View attachment 1814959
Holy fuck :lul: are those 3 screws anchored to the bone?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 20064
Just ralised I didn't answer the first question.

You usually move both the maxilla and mandible because they have to be the same size. The maxilla screws are placed right behind the front teeth , while the mandible screws are placed right behind your last lower molars.
What youre describing for maxilla is for widening the maxilla tho no? Is there DO used for advancing the maxilla forward?

so basically imdo or what?

What youre describing for maxilla is for widening the maxilla tho no? Is there DO used for advancing the maxilla forward?
Yes , you can also advance forward with this technique. What you're think of is MSE , not distraction osteogenesis.

In terms of complications it should be superior indeed, and you can possibly get away with bigger movements. But what kind of distractions and dustractors do you mean? Anchoring to skull in this one seems to be brutal thing. View attachment 1814959
Looks exactly like face pulling

Holy fuck :lul: are those 3 screws anchored to the bone?
It seems so. Maybe there are alternative variants. It should be fixed pretty well, you don't want it to shift during activity, as your maxilla basically hags on it.

• +1
It seems so. Maybe there are alternative variants. It should be fixed pretty well, you don't want it to shift during activity, as your maxilla basically hags on it.
Basically small cuts on the bone. Hurts as much as a canker sore.

• +1
For which procedures?
Distraction osteogenesis. You basically tell them how many mm of new bone you want . They're able to do 1mm per day . So you twist the screw every day until you reach your desired result.

Yep. Tightly fixed. Shifting is basically unheard of because it's attached squarely on tge bone.

Distraction osteogenesis is overwhelmingly a procedure for deformed children. If you are an adult, normal le fort + BSSO, or bimax CCW, is a better option, because it's more precise. You set the jaw exactly where you want it to be, and it heals.

If you go to a surgeon (even a "black pilled" surgeon) with your goals, he's probably going to recommend normal bimax. There is a reason the most common procedures are what they are. These obscure specialty procedures are not made for looking good, they are made for people with very specific medical conditions that need to be treated.

• +1
Reactions: MogTheMogger and ChristianChad
Much less predictable than surgery plus and additional retention period following completed distraction. Not to mention the obvious downside of getting a halo screwed into your skull for rigid fixation.

No thx jeff

• +1
Much less predictable than surgery plus and additional retention period following completed distraction. Not to mention the obvious downside of getting a halo screwed into your skull for rigid fixation.

No thx jeff

Why would they get 18mm of lefort advancement without any mandibular setback?

• +1
Distraction osteogenesis is overwhelmingly a procedure for deformed children. If you are an adult, normal le fort + BSSO, or bimax CCW, is a better option, because it's more precise. You set the jaw exactly where you want it to be, and it heals.

If you go to a surgeon (even a "black pilled" surgeon) with your goals, he's probably going to recommend normal bimax. There is a reason the most common procedures are what they are. These obscure specialty procedures are not made for looking good, they are made for people with very specific medical conditions that need to be treated.
That's why I specified that it's for people who are merely concerned with forward facial growth in this context.

A lot of people don't need precise movements and rotations to look good . We know this because most jaw surgery cases are just moving the jaws forward without rotations.

Ask a maxilofacial surgeon how many times they actually do rotations. It's mostly for people who have a midface that's too long/short.

so doing jaw surgery seems like overkill .

Wasn't jaw surgery also designed for deformities? It's primary purpose is not for looking good .

The reason Bimax is more popular is because surgeons would rather perform a singular procedure instead of turning a screw 1mm for 30 days. It's understandable, they're very busy.

They're pretty honest too , I've asked about 8 surgeons through consultations and they all say it's easier to just sever the bone.

Unless you have issues with your midface, precision isn't a necessity.

A lot of people don't need precise movements and rotations to look good .
You need precise movements if you don't want a lopsided face.

Ask a maxilofacial surgeon how many times they actually do rotations. It's mostly for people who have a midface that's too long/short.
I would argue that they don't do it as often as they should, especially from an aesthetic perspective. Technically, CCW rotation is a more complicated and slightly more risky procedure compared to a linear bimax. Doctors like to play safe, even if that is not the ideal outcome for your appearance.

Wasn't jaw surgery also designed for deformities? It's primary purpose is not for looking good .
Le Fort was originally designed for people with traumatic facial injuries.

Unless you have issues with your midface, precision isn't a necessity.
Find one of the topics (there are multiple ones on this site alone) of people who feel like a plastic surgery they underwent was botched. Look at how distressed and hopeless they often are about it. Precision should be the top concern for any plastic surgery. If a plastic surgeon told me that "precision isn't a necessity," I'd get out of there and never come back.

You need precise movements if you don't want a lopsided face.

I would argue that they don't do it as often as they should, especially from an aesthetic perspective. Technically, CCW rotation is a more complicated and slightly more risky procedure compared to a linear bimax. Doctors like to play safe, even if that is not the ideal outcome for your appearance.

Le Fort was originally designed for people with traumatic facial injuries.

Find one of the topics (there are multiple ones on this site alone) of people who feel like a plastic surgery they underwent was botched. Look at how distressed and hopeless they often are about it. Precision should be the top concern for any plastic surgery. If a plastic surgeon told me that "precision isn't a necessity," I'd get out of there and never come back.

Imo a person who has a lopsided face after distraction most likely had a lopsided face before distraction. So they would be a good candidate in this context.

Those are all fair points. But I'd like to add that most people here have severe Body dismorphia . If they feel botched , often times they just had unrealistic expectations.

I haven't really seen too many cases I'd call "Botched".

Imo a person who has a lopsided face after distraction most likely had a lopsided face before distraction. So they would be a good candidate in this context.
No, as far as I understand it, distraction has a greater chance at being lopsided/asymmetric compared to standard jaw surgery, because with standard jaw surgery, the jaw is set in exactly the correct position and screwed in place. This inherently provides a more predictable result. MSE has been known to cause asymmetry, for the exact same reason that distraction does.

I neec ccwr trimax tho