IMPORTANT : NECK TRAINING guide [FROM LOOKISM]

Rivers of Nihil

Rivers of Nihil

gothic slayer
THE NECK is the most important feature of a physique, especially for facial aesthetics. The rest of your physique is just icing on the cake

Flexion-Extension:
The (SCM) has the largest moment arm (best leverage) for neck flexion, while the superior and middle trapezius fibers have the largest moment arms for neck extension. The splenius capitus and semispinalis capitus also display good leverages for neck extension.

Lateral Bending:
The muscles with the best leverages for neck lateral flexion are the anterior scalenes and SCM. The middle scalenes and levator scapulae also possess significant lateral bending capacity.
Muscle Breakdown: Sternocleidomastoid

4th movement, you can only really do this if you have access to a cable machine or bands :

Rotation:
The superior and middle trapezius, sternocleidomastoid and semispinalis capitis sub-regions were the greatest contributors to contralateral (opposite side) axial rotation, while the rectus capitis posterior major, obliquus capitis inferior and splenius capitis were the greatest contributors to ipsilateral (same side) axial rotation.

When doing neck work in general (harness or bridges) you will probably need to wear a beanie or a hoodie as it will feel like the hairs on your head are being pulled out if you're not wearing one.

He does all 3 movements in this vid:

To do the lateral (sides) movements you can also lay sideways on a bench like in the video below or a couch if training at home. Or attached to a cable machine
If you feel the harness is going to slip off your head when doing the lateral motion, use the hand you're not laying on to lightly hold the harness.
the movement :

EXAMPLE OF NECK WORKOUT PLAN :
1-3 WORKING sets :
(Do a few light warmup sets beforehand)

Extension 1-3 sets 8-12 reps
Flexion 1-3 sets 15-25 reps
Lateral 1-3 sets 15-25 reps
Rotation 1-3 sets 15-25 reps

Best ones on the market:
http://www.ironmind-store.com/A-Headstra...info/1232/
http://www.elitefts.com/elitefts-head-neck-harness.html

Highly Recommend Senshi Japan equipment, really cheap but amazing quality:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Senshi-Japan-Har...ck+harness
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Senshi-Japan-Hea...ck+harness

Neck Bridges:
If you dont have a neck harness you can do neck bridges. For extra resistance you can hold a weight plate on your chest when you find doing it with your bodyweight too easy. You will probably need to wear a beanie or have some padding on the floor when doing these.
Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvQTyHE2c5M

Isometrics :
These can also be done against a wall, put some padding on the wall like a pillow or towel if it hurts your head. Do these combined with neck bridges, so do your neck bridges first then do isometrics last.
Example:
youtube.com/watch?v=5TxB_CwzRIE

But remember, neck harness work is superior, it may take longer to build a large neck doing bridges and iso's due to it being very awkward to progressive overload. With that being said its better than nothing

I just did some changes Original work by :

Neck Brah from lookism

****************************************************************************************************************************************** Nihil

• +1
Reactions: Mike141, Axii and i_love_roosters
I posted mine on here. It got moved to Best Of Best and then removed from there along with many others of others.

• +1
Reactions: Mike141, BrahminBoss and Rivers of Nihil
thanks for making a thread which has never been made before

• +1
Reactions: MonoTBB
Neck isn't supposed to be trained the traps is what makes the neck look wide

• JFL
Reactions: IMOGYOU, albe.ORG and Rivers of Nihil
Just buy a few 5kg plates and do curls off your bed with the plate on top of ur head.

On your back and on your stomach. 4 sets each for as many reps as you can.

All you need.

I bought a neck harness and I don't even use it cause it's annoying to use.

• +1
Reactions: hytt and albe.ORG
I posted mine on here. It got moved to Best Of Best and then removed from there along with many others of others.
Yeah bro that was so sad there was was also an extremely based post about ideal frame ratios with detailed information and lots of examples and now it's gone. I still want to kill whoever were the mod that did that.

• +1
Reactions: MakinItHappen
Just buy a few 5kg plates and do curls off your bed with the plate on top of ur head.

On your back and on your stomach. 4 sets each for as many reps as you can.

All you need.

I bought a neck harness and I don't even use it cause it's annoying to use.
you need it with higher weights

it's basically impossible to do side curls with 10kgs

and for front curls from 15+ kgs its annoying asf

Neck isn't supposed to be trained the traps is what makes the neck look wide
No. The traps only make you look slopped. Traps are only good for you when you already have good frame because they boost without damaging your broadness

• +1
Reactions: Dante13, viniciz and Rivers of Nihil
No. The traps only make you look slopped. Traps are only good for you when you already have good frame because they boost without damaging your broadness
exactly