Important question regarding MSE

Luke LLL

Luke LLL

The good days are ahead
I was thinking about what MSE does, and realized that it might be able to increase IPD. Since it makes the maxilla wider wouldn’t the eyes be forced to move as well? High iq users that have researched MSE please let me know if you have ever thought/heard about this.

@CopeAndRope reckons it can slightly increase IPD, but only slightly, and it can slightly change bizygomatic too. However, the most visible change is to the mouth width ofc

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
@CopeAndRope reckons it can slightly increase IPD, but only slightly, and it can slightly change bizygomatic too. However, the most visible change is to the mouth width ofc
How would the mouth be the most visible change though? Wouldn’t it be the zygos (the edge of the maxilla), where you can see the bone under one layer of skin? Also how would the mouth even expand at all? (Srs, the mouth is not connected to any bone. Who would it get wider?)

How would the mouth be the most visible change though? Wouldn’t it be the zygos (the edge of the maxilla), where you can see the bone under one layer of skin? Also how would the mouth even expand at all? (Srs, the mouth is not connected to any bone. Who would it get wider?)
Well ive seen SARPE before and afters and the mouth seemed to widen in each case.

I’m not sure of the exact mechanism, but think about it this way:
If you were to add two 5 mm thick strips of anything (let’s say cotton) to the outer sides of your upper gums, then close your mouth with lips sealed, I’d bet your mouth width would increase. And a 1 cm MSE expansion would be even more drastic because it’s 5mm of solid bone on each side.

Regarding IPD, unless you’re in puberty, I haven’t seen a single result where distance between eyes increased; I say this after having overlapped MSE before and afters, making sure the irises and pupils were the exact same size; and there wasn’t any discernible increase in space between eyes...the eyes overlapped perfectly.

MSE can definitely increase lateral projection of zygo’s though.

• +1
Reactions: Luke LLL and kota
If you were to add two 5 mm thick strips of anything (let’s say cotton) to the outer sides of your upper gums, then close your mouth with lips sealed, I’d bet your mouth width would increase. And a 1 cm MSE expansion would be even more drastic because it’s 5mm of solid bone on each side.

Regarding IPD, unless you’re in puberty, I haven’t seen a single result where distance between eyes increased; I say this after having overlapped MSE before and afters, making sure the irises and pupils were the exact same size; and there wasn’t any discernible increase in space between eyes...the eyes overlapped perfectly.

Could you share those before and afters?

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262 and Luke LLL
Yeah I’ll find them later today

• +1
Reactions: kota
Does MSE widen the whole face or only the zygomatic region?

My cope has been destroyed. I thought MSE can help me with IPD :((((((

Only the maxilla

No it widens far more than the maxilla. This is precisely why it has a different name altogether than MARPE, and adds Skeletal to the acron.

Mini Implant
Assisted
Rapid
Palatal
Expander

VS

M
axillary
Skeletal
Expander