Is a sliding genio necessary with bimax + ccw?

KpopmaxxingGuy

KpopmaxxingGuy

Silver
For fixing class III malocclusion, asymmetry, and lip incompetence. Or does the ccw do enough? Generally speaking, of course

Dunno about sliding genio in particular but

Generally, I heard many surgeons mention that genio alone (without bimax) can treat lip incompetence. So I figure it will be necessary for most cases.

There are different types of genioplasties, one of them will be necessary in most cases I think

heard many surgeons mention that genio alone (without bimax) can treat lip incompetence.
awesome!! do you know how or why that happens?

is lip incompetence generally due to the lower lip being too far behind upper lip? so genio brings chin forward to support and slightly move forward lower lip? is that what happens

this guy got bimax and genio? but what caused the fix to his downturned lips? was it genio or bimax?

Attachments

• 2915F827-2090-427F-AA7A-6309CE3DA5F2.jpeg
    2915F827-2090-427F-AA7A-6309CE3DA5F2.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 0
deleted

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: nobodyspecial369
RE: The photo:

The lips seem to be in the same position - from what I understand this would be a vertical genio, used to get the mentolabial angle into accepted ranges.
ahhh i see thank you, that puts a piece of the puzzle together for me. so in the before pic he had a small acute mentolabial angle (meaning his chin wasn’t tall enough to stretch the skin to make his mentolabial angle bigger). but in the right pic the increase in chin height increases the mentolabial angle due to this stretching effect?)

From what I understand, yes.

Re: The slight lip downturn in photo 1. It can be from many things, I'm not completely certain. Could be a symptom of a bite/orthodontic issue (deep bite?) or just how the muscle is resting at that time.

• +1
Reactions: nobodyspecial369
does anyone know why that would make his lips less downturned?

there are lip muscles called Depressor anguli oris, which is on each side of your chin and works with other muscles to produce a frown.
06AD0C69 794B 48C2 932E AA3ACB635B1C

but how would increasing chin height cause these muscles to lessen in strength?

It appears increasing chin height would pull on the depressor anguli oris muscles stretching them and hence they would have less strength- that is, less power to pull down the corners of the lips. that’s my theory at least.

i just confirmed on google that stretching muscles weakens them.

“Literature notes that there is a loss of contractile power/strength for up to 30 minutes after static stretching and as such, the muscle cannot contract maximally if needed”

therefore i think my theory is correct @latetothegame

tldr: vertical genio stretches and thus weakens the muscles used when frowning

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: smallgromp123, Memento Mori and latetothegame