Is automation a good thing or a bad thing

Good or bad

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 13197

Kraken
You could argue that with the automation of jobs, people could focus on their passions full time. We could possibly turn into a society similar to the Ancient Greeks who had slaves do all their labor and focused on the arts and humanities, leaving behind great contributions to many aspects of the field and essentially the had a utopia.

Or if humans are not prepared for automation, the world would turn into a disaster causing mass instability and primitive behavior, pretty much causing our decline. AI could also become too smart, learning how to write its own software and we become slaves or dead (most likely not going to happen, this isn’t a sci-fi movie, but you never know)

• +1
Reactions: thecel
dnr

Theodore Kaczynski

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: IWILLMAKEIT, Newkid and zikzog
AI needs to have an un-contestable kill switch that renders it only able to serve humans before considering its widespread useage

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13197
automation is life, I always had the feeling of wanting to automate almost everything that is boring

• +1
Always gonna be enough jobs for people

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9217 and Deleted member 13197
AI needs to have an un-contestable kill switch that renders it only able to serve humans before considering its widespread useage
Smart, do you think ppl will consider that though

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3270
automation is going to occur within our lifetimes, and a national living wage which will be much less than today’s salaries will be introduced

• +1
I believe in this too. New inventions and ideas always create jobs as a result. Ppl thought the invention and usage of cars would destroy many jobs and it instead doubled it

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9217
no, accountancy is becoming automated, same literally everything to do with statistics and doesn’t require human moral reasoning won’t be, like law or a police man

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9217
automation is going to occur within our lifetimes, and a national living wage which will be much less than today’s salaries will be introduced
Do you personally think that’s a good thing

Do you personally think that’s a good thing
good for the entrepreneurs, and bad for everyone else

So chances are it’ll be bad for me and you

• +1
good for the entrepreneurs, and bad for everyone else

So chances are it’ll be bad for me and you
Will it be the type of situation where it gets worse before it gets better?

Will it be the type of situation where it gets worse before it gets better?
i don’t know, i predict total anarchy will happen by the end of this century though

1. too much population, stupid ones especially
2. widening gap between poorest and richest
3. general decay of society

Too many other factors too

• +1
no, accountancy is becoming automated, same literally everything to do with statistics and doesn’t require human moral reasoning won’t be, like law or a police man
Many tasks won't be necessary or worth it to be automated. All automation needs people servicing and maintaining mechanical parts, software developers working on code etc. Remember that for each company that wants to get into and develop, deliver and maintain any type of automation device will need people in a host of jobs, including legal, marketing & sales, engineers, research and development, HR etc.

The amount won't be gone, but rather displaced. And if automation as a whole leads to a net loss, it won't be so big that there won't be other jobs where we can expend more resources on that field because of what we gain through automation.

Bad in the wrongs hands, which is inevitable.

• +1
Many tasks won't be necessary or worth it to be automated. All automation needs people servicing and maintaining mechanical parts, software developers working on code etc. Remember that for each company that wants to get into and develop, deliver and maintain any type of automation device will need people in a host of jobs, including legal, marketing & sales, engineers, research and development, HR etc.

The amount won't be gone, but rather displaced. And if automation as a whole leads to a net loss, it won't be so big that there won't be other jobs where we can expend more resources on that field because of what we gain through automation.
i don’t understand how you can say it won’t be worth it for many tasks, every task that can be automated will be automated, even for a penny profit yearly

much automation is low maintenances for tried and tested stuff, like factory machines, in time things like accountancy. will almost be fully automated..

I agree that the stuff that requires human judgement will always be in demand. But those jobs are extremely saturated anyway

by 2050 youll own nothing and it’ll be the same with me, welcome to the culture of rent and not own

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9217 and lutte
Smart, do you think ppl will consider that though
Governments are full of clowns and hyper manipulative people these days. however tbh they will still consider it. or else they are likely to ruin their own privileged lives, if not that of the average person

• +1
i don’t understand how you can say it won’t be worth it for many tasks, every task that can be automated will be automated, even for a penny profit yearly

much automation is low maintenances for tried and tested stuff, like factory machines, in time things like accountancy. will almost be fully automated..

I agree that the stuff that requires human judgement will always be in demand. But those jobs are extremely saturated anyway

by 2050 youll own nothing and it’ll be the same with me, welcome to the culture of rent and not own
Well, just as an example (not saying the math would go like this in this exact scenario, but for illustration):

McDonalds consider automating their entire chain of stores world wide. They estimate that whatever deal they will make will cost 100 million dollars. Lets say that they pay their employees 1/10th of that, so its going to take 10 years to make the money back. But since the automation won't be perfect, and because of safety regulation, maintenance and security checks will run the cost up, not to mention dedicated engineers per x amount of stores. So its actually going to take 15 years to make their money back. But the lifespan of the automation machines are only like 20 years (they become outdated or ran down to the point where you'd need a new one). So its only worth it for 5. Then there's the cost of revamping everything that already exists. Redesigning all stores, new purchase solutions etc. So it just isn't worth it.

This is just an example and all the numbers are made up, but you get the point. There will be some tasks that is just not worth automating.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13197 and turkproducer
  • +1
Reactions: turkproducer
it will happen for sure. can't say it will be good or bad. is what we have now good or bad? it is what it is.

• +1
Already today many jobs are just made up positions where nothing actually is produced
True, yet they generate money.

10/10 thread

• Love it
Less jobs for everyone meaning higher chance UBI gets introduced
Ie Neetbux for chad

meaning it will be even harder for us to separate ourselves from him through our work ethic

remember that everytime the amount of effort everyone has to put in order to achieve a goal goes down, those with the best genetics win. Good example of this is Tinder - easy access to potential mates, but it’s also easy for chad, so he wins.

I heard cold approaching was somewhat successful back in the day for exactly this reason - those that did it had to put in EFFORT, like have the mental fortitude to keep going despite all those rejections. And women didn’t have nearly as many options to date, and would have to put in effort to find someone, ie go outside, talk to people. Nowadays that’s not necessary so the one with the best genes (Chad) wins

• +1
Massive parts of the population being displaced by robots (suffering for a good bit of time) -> UBI is introduced (fixes a lot of suffering) -> Robots take over a majority of the workforce (introduction of the "Utopia") -> Massive "meaning" crisis people experience from not having any meaningful things to do (more suffering)

From here we either realize that technology has negative implications for our health and mental wellbeing, and we willingly reduce the effect that it was on us, and raise our kids differently, we live in this kind of blissful lie until the end of the species

OR

We just go full steam ahead and eventually begin to automate and upgrade ourselves, before the line between "biological" and "technological" or "human" and "machine" no loner exists, there are only machines that feel, and those that do not.

This is the timeline IMO.

• +1
You could argue that with the automation of jobs, people could focus on their passions full time. We could possibly turn into a society similar to the Ancient Greeks who had slaves do all their labor and focused on the arts and humanities, leaving behind great contributions to many aspects of the field and essentially the had a utopia.

Or if humans are not prepared for automation, the world would turn into a disaster causing mass instability and primitive behavior, pretty much causing our decline. AI could also become too smart, learning how to write its own software and we become slaves or dead (most likely not going to happen, this isn’t a sci-fi movie, but you never know)
I don't think we could ever become slaves to AI. But anyways, the only thing I wouldn't like about automation would be people having to become more dependent on the government.

• +1
Massive parts of the population being displaced by robots (suffering for a good bit of time) -> UBI is introduced (fixes a lot of suffering) -> Robots take over a majority of the workforce (introduction of the "Utopia") -> Massive "meaning" crisis people experience from not having any meaningful things to do (more suffering)

From here we either realize that technology has negative implications for our health and mental wellbeing, and we willingly reduce the effect that it was on us, and raise our kids differently, we live in this kind of blissful lie until the end of the species

OR

We just go full steam ahead and eventually begin to automate and upgrade ourselves, before the line between "biological" and "technological" or "human" and "machine" no loner exists, there are only machines that feel, and those that do not.

This is the timeline IMO.
would you like a world similar to cyberpunk 2077?

would you like a world similar to cyberpunk 2077?
Probably not because corporations control everything.

Currently I fall in line with believing/wanting the first option more, I genuinely believe technology past a certain point is harmful to your mental health, look at what social media is doing, and it's only making us more connected, not actually changing our day to day lives that much.

I would expect the final stage of humanity to just keep progressing no matter what, and what it will look like literally nobody knows.

• +1