Is bench pressing 220 lbs / 100 kg for single rep impressive?

D

Deleted member 21863

‏‏‎ ‎
Title

• +1
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel
Relative strength? How big are you? Height + weight?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21863 and Deleted member 29581
Good regardless. Keep it up.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21863 and Deleted member 29581
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: User28823, 5.5psl, Deleted member 21863 and 3 others
I was about to say, "isn't a 2 plate bench 225 lbs?" But then I realized that OP is going by metric. In Europe and shit, they have 20kg plates and barbells. That's 44.1 lbs each. So 100kg is 220.5 lbs.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21863
yes

• +1
No if it's your bodyweight, if you weigh <70kg it's really good

• +1
Reactions: User28823, Deleted member 21863 and Deleted member 28939
My dad and big people around me always tell me that benching your body weight is good, but now I feel like i’m capping at about 5 pounds above 1 plate.. 😫

• +1
1.5x~ your bodyweight is impressive. so if you weigh less than 70kg and bench press 100kg you're relatively strong.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 29581 and Deleted member 21863
1.5x~ your bodyweight is impressive. so if you weigh less than 70kg and bench press 100kg you're relatively strong.

Bruh y'all make it seem like the average joe benches his body weight on the first day. Even for someone who is relatively heavy that is a good bench. Getting to those weights takes time for the average guy. And in the real world there are no weight classes. A man who can bench 100 kgs would be considered to be strong.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: SubhumanCurrycel, TeenAscender, bishōnenmaxxer and 2 others
Bruh y'all make it seem like the average joe benches his body weight on the first day. Even for someone who is relatively heavy that is a good bench. Getting to those weights takes time for the average guy. And in the real world there are no weight classes. A man who can bench 100 kgs would be considered to be strong.
When I was 58kg at 5'10 I could bench 60kg as a noob for 4 then I bulked to 68kg and benched 100kg for 1 rep in 6 months

• +1
I was about to say, "isn't a 2 plate bench 225 lbs?" But then I realized that OP is going by metric. In Europe and shit, they have 20kg plates and barbells. That's 44.1 lbs each. So 100kg is 220.5 lbs.
In Europe we have 25 kg plates.

• +1
i agree that 100kg is a good bench if you aren't overweight. the question however was if 100kg is impressive and the answer is that it depends on your weight. first time i bench pressed in my life i single repped 1.3x~ my bodyweight (80kg at 60kg bw). women don't care how much you bench they care about how you look. impressiveness is calculated by how rare an achievement is and the amount of effort it took for the person completing the achievement.

if an overweight man reps 100kg it's not impressive because it's not rare at all for an overweight man to be able to bench that amount. it may have taken him 2 months while a skinny guy trained 2 years. of course a fat man who can bench 100kg will be considered strong but no one cares about that and it's not impressive because it took him much less effort. you can be strong but a fat man will be slow and become tired fast. being lean and strong is much better than being strong and fat.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23611, Deleted member 21863 and Jason Voorhees
When I was 58kg at 5'10 I could bench 60kg as a noob for 4 then I bulked to 68kg and benched 100kg for 1 rep in 6 months
Most newbies at my gym don't even have a proper form. In my powerlifting club the average for untrained guy is around 40–50kg for 3–5 reps. There are quite a few outliers higher and lower, but that's most common.

• +1
It’s not bad especially if you’re lean. If you want to turn heads you need to hit 315lb

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21863 and Broski
It’s not bad especially if you’re lean. If you want to turn heads you need to hit 315lb
i turn heads benching 275 but a big dude ik at the gym reps out 365 and nobody looks despite him being stronger than me

for gymcels yes but nobody care about gym stats only gymcels do

• +1
Reactions: hattrick
Nobody cares about gym stats except for other gymcels. With that being said any progress is good progress.

If first year of high School, then sure

:lul: I was benching 2 plates after 3 weeks in the gym