IS IT WORTH SELF LEARNING MACHINE LEARNING, DATA SCIENCE,

Deleted member 6273

Deleted member 6273

Brb detoxing, can't respond to DMs for now.
or any other specialized comp sci course. Also what is the best specialized comp sci course to self learn. For future job prospects of course.

maybe, maybe not. Researchers are now acknowledging that their research starts to slow down, basically the ai that we will have in 10 years will prolly not going to be much better than the one we have rn. That doesnt mean that the industry is oversaturated already though. It just could happen very soon.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6273
you could, but getting it at a top tier university is way better. guaranteed job prospects that way

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1973, Deleted member 6273 and Deleted member 7753
you could, but getting it at a top tier university is way better. guaranteed job prospects that way

I'm already at the best university in my country. My grades are excellent so far and I have decent chances of getting into a top tier UK university for my masters (maybe even US ivy league). Problem is I'm doing electrical engineering and the pay is dogshit, so I'm trying to see if I can transition to something else or leverage my degree with the other comp sci skills I just learned.

no, no one will hire you in a field like without an academic background

• So Sad
no, no one will hire you in a field like without an academic background

I have an academic background I'm studying electrical engineering or do you strictly need comp sci/ software engineering credentials.

Sure, why not?

Though self learning requires a lot of diligence, and without the proper resources you won't learn as well as somebody who is actually forced to work in that field and solve problems would. It's still worth learning it as best you can to get a surface level understanding, and then applying for a masters in AI/ML and getting your foot in the door with some company.

I have an academic background I'm studying electrical engineering or do you strictly need comp sci/ software engineering credentials.
I know many people who did mechanical/electrical and then did a masters in data science or ai.

• +1
Reactions: Arkantos, Deleted member 6273 and Azoriko
I'm already at the best university in my country. My grades are excellent so far and I have decent chances of getting into a top tier UK university for my masters (maybe even US ivy league). Problem is I'm doing electrical engineering and the pay is dogshit, so I'm trying to see if I can transition to something else or leverage my degree with the other comp sci skills I just learned.
electrical engineering is not so far away from data science though. I'm studying physics jfl and I still try to get into the field of data science. But I will also (if I stop rotting on this forum) graduate from a top 10 university with good grades, so I hope that will help a bit. Most likely need to get an internship first

• +1
better than rotting, but u might as well get a degree

• +1
if you do a data science or cs with some statistics thrown in as a postgraduate you definitely could, otherwise itd be very difficult to break into the field. its a very demanding job and the companies involved invest a lot of money into the field so they have very high expectations.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6273 and Mouthbreath
If you are smart enough you should ideally be looking at a masters in Computer Science at MIT/Stanford. Recognised internationally and accept more international students (and give more financial aid). Besides, the only Master's in computer science at Oxbridge are for people pursuing a PhD in Computer Science as well.
To transition, its good to have something quantifiable, e.g computer science / mathematics courses or an internship or research experience so that you can demonstrate that you do have the skills necessary

• +1
If you are smart enough you should ideally be looking at a masters in Computer Science at MIT/Stanford. Recognised internationally and accept more international students (and give more financial aid). Besides, the only Master's in computer science at Oxbridge are for people pursuing a PhD in Computer Science as well.
To transition, its good to have something quantifiable, e.g computer science / mathematics courses or an internship or research experience so that you can demonstrate that you do have the skills necessary

I think I'm going to go down this route.

• +1
Reactions: bossman
Sure, why not?

Though self learning requires a lot of diligence, and without the proper resources you won't learn as well as somebody who is actually forced to work in that field and solve problems would. It's still worth learning it as best you can to get a surface level understanding, and then applying for a masters in AI/ML and getting your foot in the door with some company.

I know many people who did mechanical/electrical and then did a masters in data science or ai.
which degree is better for job opportunities & good salaries ? ai or data science ?

which degree is better for job opportunities & good salaries ? ai or data science ?
either is fine... what matters is your own interest + getting exposure via internships

• Love it
Reactions: LOOKMAXXER
maybe, maybe not. Researchers are now acknowledging that their research starts to slow down, basically the ai that we will have in 10 years will prolly not going to be much better than the one we have rn. That doesnt mean that the industry is oversaturated already though. It just could happen very soon.
Yeah, sounds like it's going to become the next physics if that makes sense, super high entry barriers for a job that's basically just doing a bunch of calculations and throwing spaghetti at a wall to see if it sticks