Is most empathy actually just faked because of social pressure?

disillusioned

disillusioned

Kraken
Consider how the typical reaction is in a movie or show when the bad guy kills somebody and then everybody is like "oh no ur monster!" at the bad guy. Or they will start crying in uncontrollable sorrow. Does anybody actually behave this way in real life? Do people REALLY give a shit? Then why the utter apathy when they hear something terrible in the news? I have a theory: It's because when they just hear about it in the news rather than actually being present there is simply no social pressure to pretend you actually give a shit. So people don't.

Fact is empathy is a made up emotion that nobody actually experiences. It's a form of social communication. You pretend to care about people and in return they pretend to care back. It's all make believe. Nobody truly cares about others who die in accidents, wars, famine etc. The "outrages" are all faked to gain virtue points.

• +1
Reactions: fukmylyf, Alt Number 3, Deleted member 1464 and 6 others
morals are social construct but without them we couldnt shitpost here

• +1
Reactions: EthnicelAscension
Its not as black and white as you might think.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2012, Deleted member 2846, RAITEIII and 2 others
Its not as black and white as you might think.

I would argue it is. Consider how recently the concept of empathy even exists. For 90% of human history owning people and treating them as property was considered socially acceptable. Humans are 100% sociopathic as a species. I would even go as far as to claim that the only reason these traits are now championed is because the ruling classes temporarely benefit from fooling people with them (immigration, multiculturalism etc).

• +1
Reactions: Zeta ascended and Deleted member 2227
I believe women don't have empathy. If they could do whatever they want they would do it as long as they could get away with it without getting shamed or judged for it.

I would argue it is. Consider how recently the concept of empathy even exists. For 90% of human history owning people and treating them as property was considered socially acceptable. Humans are 100% sociopathic as a species. I would even go as far as to claim that the only reason these traits are now championed is because the ruling classes temporarely benefit from fooling people with them (immigration, multiculturalism etc).
One are only seeing one side of the coin.

Empathy exists.

I believe women don't have empathy. If they could do whatever they want they would do it as long as they could get away with it without getting shamed or judged for it.

It's not just women. You confuse the ability to have morals with the ability to have empathy. Morals are just a code of honor or some kind of code of law and don't have anything to do with empathy.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2227
It's not just women. You confuse the ability to have morals with the ability to have empathy. Morals are just a code of honor or some kind of code of law and don't have anything to do with empathy.
It's still men who created and shaped those morals out of nothing trough millenniums which makes me believe that men can still have empathy and honor in nature unlike many women. Even in ancient times women were mocked for being individualistic and only following the codes for self gain. These last hundred years which saw emancipation and some of societal aspects being reverted to primal stages are slowly starting to uncover the real nature of a female.

Last edited:
I disagree, to have empathy, you need to get involved in a situation on a personal level.
For example, when I saw the Joker movie, I felt empathy for the character, he looked like me, so I got involved on a personal level.
When someone hears a random news like "7 people died last night", she didn't really feel empathy, she didn't know who they were, that is, she didn't get personally involved.
That is why acting is so important, the actor needs to convey credibility and involve the viewer.
This is one of the reasons why people do not empathize with incel, feel contempt and disgust for them, would never make a personal connection with them. Incels that are rejected and despised for life, end up losing empathy and becoming shooter.

Empathy is pity, it's natural more than even rational thinking.
Rousseau said it, read him OP.

Empathy is in our DNA. We are social creatures. We are programmed to feel those emotions.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262
For example, when I saw the Joker movie, I felt empathy for the character, he looked like me

Point fucking proven. This isn't empathy. You only felt sorry for him because he reminded you of yourself.

176FBD89 8E29 456A A93A 144FB7690EBE

XD

• +1
  • WTF
Reactions: Ritalincel and 54UD4D3
women have empathy. but not for ugly man that want to fuck them, and all ugly man want to fuck them.

Most is faked for sure

Let's just say that if everyone went to the therapist, ASPD (Anti social personality disorder) would be the new normal.

Nah. I can feel empathy, I don't usually feel nothing if I see it in the news or in movies and I don't even pretend I do, but if I'm there to see someone for example being beaten up by bullies, I feel strong empathy.

• +1
Reactions: Gaia262 and Bechadish
Again Read Rousseau OP, you lacks culture.

OP is based BlackPilled beast

Point fucking proven. This isn't empathy. You only felt sorry for him because he reminded you of yourself.
Empathy involves pity, what problem?
When you put yourself in the person's position in a bad situation, like an illness, it's obvious that it will involve pity.
But you can feel sorry without empathy, like a psychopath.

Nah. I can feel empathy, I don't usually feel nothing if I see it in the news or in movies and I don't even pretend I do, but if I'm there to see someone for example being beaten up by bullies, I feel strong empathy.

Fun thought experiment: What if the person being beaten up is nothing like you? Different race? Different class? Different nationality?

Fun fact: Social experiments have shown that they don't feel others pain if the person suffering isn't their race.

I disagree, to have empathy, you need to get involved in a situation on a personal level.
This is one of the reasons why people do not empathize with incel, feel contempt and disgust for them, would never make a personal connection with them. Incels that are rejected and despised for life, end up losing empathy and becoming shooter.

High IQ

I have been bullied a few times, one of them in a period that I was visibly destroyed due to depression and I was acting all nice.
Who do you think that people liked more, me or the bully? Unfortunately I legitimately have empathy, but I wonder if this "legit" isn't just subconscious fear of rash treatment

• +1
Reactions: Vidyacoper
Fun thought experiment: What if the person being beaten up is nothing like you? Different race? Different class? Different nationality?

Fun fact: Social experiments have shown that they don't feel others pain if the person suffering isn't their race.
I still feel empathy, but definetely not as deeply, true.

No, it’s not

I would say people tend to empathize with people they relate to. I empathize with men who go ER due to being bully victim/social outcast since I lived most of my life as one.

• +1
Reactions: fukmylyf
I would say people tend to empathize with people they relate to. I empathize with men who go ER due to being bully victim/social outcast since I lived most of my life as one.

That means in a way you are actually just feeling sorry for YOURSELF and not them, because you are reminded of YOU when you see them.

• Hmm...
Reactions: Zeta ascended
Luke 16:

19 “Now there was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day. 20 And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores, 21 and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man’s table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. 22 Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried out and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. 26 And [a]besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father’s house— 28 for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham *said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”