Is ramus length a limiting factor in CCW rotation?

materialistic

materialistic

Professional incel
If someone is downward grown and has a very steep occlusal plane AND short ramus then CCW movement will be limited to match ramus length, right? Otherwise joints wouldn't be able to support the new bone structure (in my theory). That's why the following patient result wasn't perfect, or do you think a more skilled surgeon could have done better?

Let's discuss.

• +1
Reactions: T50 Mogger and PotassiumMaxxer

• So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 38639 and Deleted member 51465
Mandible length in general is a limiting factor so yes.

• +1
Reactions: materialistic
well we dont know how much they could have done. bluepilled surgeons do the minimum amount of movement to fix function

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 38639 and LooksOrDeath
well we dont know how much they could have done. bluepilled surgeons do the minimum amount of movement to fix function
In this case I really think they could have done better, but you got my point. This patient could never have a perfect jaw with flat occlusal plane because she lacks ramus length.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 38639 and Deleted member 52566
Yeah I think your onto something. There's simply not enough ramus bone to rotate the mandible any further, you'd simply be pushing straight through the teeth.

Unless you could somehow make the midface shorter so maybe long midface is also a limiting factor. Perhaps if the midface was more forwardly grown, it would also be shorter, allowing that room to rotate into.

I guess it all comes down to forward growth in the end, but I'm not a surgeon so I might not know what the fuck I'm taking about

• +1
Reactions: ascenscionisnear, materialistic and T50 Mogger
Yeah I think your onto something. There's simply not enough ramus bone to rotate the mandible any further, you'd simply be pushing straight through the teeth.

Unless you could somehow make the midface shorter so maybe long midface is also a limiting factor. Perhaps if the midface was more forwardly grown, it would also be shorter, allowing that room to rotate into.

I guess it all comes down to forward growth in the end, but I'm not a surgeon so I might not know what the fuck I'm taking about
Perhaps an inverted L osteotomy instead of the Du pont cut could have saved her?