Is this a good skincare routine

NearX

NearX

Sensitive Young Man
I've got awful acne and need to get serious about my face. I used 2.5% benzoyl for a few months, it helped a bit but didn't really fix anything. Now I've got tretinoin 0.05% and want to buy cleanser and moisturizer. Is this a good routine?
  • Tretinoin on alternate days, at night before sleep
  • Benzoyl peroxide on non-tret days, before sleeping (thinking of getting 5% if possible)
  • Will use moisturizer before/after tret, since I've been told it dries the skin
  • Should I use salicyclic acid cleanser, or will that be overkill since I'm using benzoyl?
Should I apply moisturizer before tret or after, or both?
What should I look for in a cleanser and moisturizer, I don't want to end up worsening things than before.

always moisturizer first then anything else

• +1
Reactions: NearX
always moisturizer first then anything else
Got it, what type of moisturizer would be the best for oily skin? I see a cheap one with Vitamin C, Vit E and Niacinamide, is that good or do I just get one of the Nivea ones.

I would say stop using the benzoyl peroxide and any other actives and only use the tretinoin every night. Tretinoin is the gold standard of skincare and should take care of everything.

• +1
Reactions: Aspiemogger
Should we wait like after applying each product or just directly. My current routine is - cleanser, moisturizer and then tret.

.1% tret every night. Benzoyl peroxide wash in the shower. Salicylic acid in the morning.

Salicylic acid seems to be the most important one for me. It shrinks down the acne that I do have.

If you want to use bp and retinoid, I suggest you get epiduo. This way the ingredients will work as intended without losing effectiveness.
Don't use other exfoliants when using retinoids.
You forgot about sunscreen, it's very important to use one everyday. 1/2 teaspoon for face every 2 hours is ideal.
Don't splurge on moisturizer, use Vaseline on your lips at night or lanolin.
Use spf 30+ lip balm in the morning.
You can go to derm and ask for oral antibiotics to pair it with topical retinoids. JUST REMEMBER IT'S VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU USE IT JUST LIKE AS ADVISED, WHEN YOU STOP ORAL ANTIBIOTIC TREATMENT EARLY, THE BACTERIA MAY BECOME RESISTANT TO ANTIBIOTICS. IT'S VERY DANGEROUS