Isometrics for masseter growth?

MrRubiks

MrRubiks

Silver
Obviously clenching your jaw would be an effective way to induce hypertrophy, but this has obvious drawbacks. I've been doing "hard mewing" for a little while now and I recently developed the strength to exert considerable force from my jaws while resisting with the back third of my tongue. I was thinking that this would be an effective isometric exercise for masseter growth without any of the drawbacks that come from the force being placed on the teeth.

I was wondering if anybody here has done this consistently for a long period, and if so what were the results?

*edit* So this is basically the isometric equivalent of chewing. It just requires a lot of tongue strength and endurance. I also suspect that this may be a good way to circumvent any TMJ issues.

Last edited:
bump

• +1
Reactions: MrRubiks
It's always the greycels looksmaxing

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17379
It's always the greycels looksmaxing
I guess that makes sense. I'm making real changes. By the end of 2022 I will have spent nearly 100k on looksmaxxing: LL, periorbital rim + brow augmentation, z-plasty, gymmaxxing, mewing + chewing, and more. Working this much to save money sucks, but it sucks far more to just not improve.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Cristiano88 and Entschuldigung
Yes I have done some variation of what you are saying. Not sure if results are causative or just correlated but I've ended up with : unfavourable teeth displacement, destroyed gonial complex, uncomfortable change in bite causing teeth wear when at rest due to excess movement to find a comfortable bite that doesn't exist anymore, decreased sagittal lower third facial dimension resulting in increased bloat, and I shot you not remodelling/recession of the zygomatic bones (one at a time corresponding with ipsilateral masseter preference) which has caused a remarkable increase in the appearance of bug eyes due to decreased zygomatic support.

Honestly the last one mentioned was incredible to watch over the course of about two years to the left side of the face, when I switched chewing preference from right to left, I had been chewing and practically performing basically 24/7 isometric holds like a moron since mid 2016 when I was nearing the end of puberty. Only needed to wait for my bone mass to fill out a bit, and probably lean my face out, but I was deceived by fucking Mr mew and the lookism crew ffs.

tl;dr
Just chew hard occasionally like a normal human and save yourself the trouble

P.s I have a suspicions about the role of the medial pterygoid as opposed to the masseter during the use of small amounts of chewing gum compared to chewing with the teeth further apart

Last edited:
  • Woah
Yes I have done some variation of what you are saying. Not sure if results are causative or just correlated but I've ended up with : unfavourable teeth displacement, destroyed gonial complex, uncomfortable change in bite causing teeth wear when at rest due to excess movement to find a comfortable bite that doesn't exist anymore, decreased sagittal lower third facial dimension resulting in increased bloat, and I shot you not remodelling/recession of the zygomatic bones (one at a time corresponding with ipsilateral masseter preference) which has caused a remarkable increase in the appearance of bug eyes due to decreased zygomatic support.

Honestly the last one mentioned was incredible to watch over the course of about two years to the left side of the face, when I switched chewing preference from right to left, I had been chewing and practically performing basically 24/7 isometric holds like a moron since mid 2016 when I was nearing the end of puberty. Only needed to wait for my bone mass to fill out a bit, and probably lean my face out, but I was deceived by fucking Mr mew and the lookism crew ffs.

tl;dr

P.s I have a suspicions about the role of the medial pterygoid as opposed to the masseter during the use of small amounts of chewing gum compared to chewing with the teeth further apart
Holy shit, that sounds awful! For me I'm just looking for increased width and gonial flare. I've already seen good results, but I'll take this as a cautionary tale. It seems like a lot of people have had good results, but I'm going to be tracking things carefully.

Holy shit, that sounds awful! For me I'm just looking for increased width and gonial flare. I've already seen good results, but I'll take this as a cautionary tale. It seems like a lot of people have had good results, but I'm going to be tracking things carefully.
Godspeed

• +1

tl;dr

So you decreased your infraorbital support by chewing?
And you always look bloated? This could be due to the insertion of the masseter(if it is upper rather than lower) and also because of short ramus. There is even one article by Eppley which says exactly this. He says that if the distance between lower ear lobe and bottom of ramus is <2cm than you should consider jaw angle implants, and not just wraparound since the latter will only make you look more bloated.

I am also in this situation and this is the reason i am considering jaw angle implants instead of chewing.

Do you have a normal/long ramus? I ask because you say you achieved good results and i think this is only possible if you have such ramus.

masseter muscles dont get big, even after chewing mastic gum for years, its the bone that grows.

So you decreased your infraorbital support by chewing?
And you always look bloated? This could be due to the insertion of the masseter(if it is upper rather than lower) and also because of short ramus. There is even one article by Eppley which says exactly this. He says that if the distance between lower ear lobe and bottom of ramus is <2cm than you should consider jaw angle implants, and not just wraparound since the latter will only make you look more bloated.

I am also in this situation and this is the reason i am considering jaw angle implants instead of chewing.
It's pretty complicated yes. Yes i concur with the gonial implant over wraparound statement, if you were too go down that route. I probably amassed a decent amount of subcutaneous fat after school ended, which makes it hard to perfectly compare, I am planning on leaning out over the next few months, but I have watched and mentally tracked the change in bone in my face since them days and it is very strange, totally not the results I set out for from day one.

I can honestly say I have accrued zero positive from the hardcore chewing/isometrics, I am considering a deep dive into the science behind it, had a hiatus from the forums for a while and got rusty on the science. I will look back into osteoblastogenesis and appositional growth/remodelling after closure of ossification centres.

• +1
Reactions: Cristiano88
Do you have a normal/long ramus? I ask because you say you achieved good results and i think this is only possible if you have such ramus.
Yes, my ramus is pretty long.

IMG 6162

masseter muscles dont get big, even after chewing mastic gum for years, its the bone that grows.
I'm very skeptical. Do you have a study showing this? It seems like hypertrophy is a much simpler explanation.

View attachment 1514364

I'm very skeptical. Do you have a study showing this? It seems like hypertrophy is a much simpler explanation.
Looking good man. Congrats.

In regard to studies well..nobody it seems is doing studies on chewing. However there are many studies on bruxism which you can use as reference.
I think bruxism is the closest thing to chewing.

"In the adult group, almost half of mandibular angles showed bone apposition. Conversely, the prevalence in the control group was zero. The localization of the appositions corresponds to the insertions of the masseter and medial pterygoid muscles at the mandibular angle."

"Appositional growth is the increase in the diameter of bones by the addition of bone tissue at the surface of bones."

• +1

View attachment 1514364

just from my own experience the masseters kind of top out after a while.

I do however believe that chewing gum through your 20s and 30s will lead to a much more filled out face iny your 40s. THey just dont grow fast at all.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and MrRubiks
just from my own experience the masseters kind of top out after a while.

I do however believe that chewing gum through your 20s and 30s will lead to a much more filled out face iny your 40s. THey just dont grow fast at all.
Gotcha. I keep hearing mixed things about the rates. I'm just taking it slow, and so far I'm happy with what I see.

Looking good man. Congrats.

In regard to studies well..nobody it seems is doing studies on chewing. However there are many studies on bruxism which you can use as reference.
I think bruxism is the closest thing to chewing.

"In the adult group, almost half of mandibular angles showed bone apposition. Conversely, the prevalence in the control group was zero. The localization of the appositions corresponds to the insertions of the masseter and medial pterygoid muscles at the mandibular angle."

"Appositional growth is the increase in the diameter of bones by the addition of bone tissue at the surface of bones."
Thank you! I find the concept of appositional growth very interesting. I'll be going through this later on tonight.

*edit* Wow! Okay then!

"Conclusions: The bone apposition at the mandibular angles should be interpreted as a functional adaptation to the long-term increased loads that occur during the contraction of the jaw closing muscles due to bruxism. Hence, radiologically diagnosed bone apposition may serve as an indication or confirmation of bruxism."

Last edited:

tl;dr

I have a hard time grasping how all this happened. How did isometric holds on your masseter cause bone loss over your face? Did your masseters not grow after years of doing this. I would’ve suspected that the hyper trophy of the masseter muscles would override bone loss (if any) and actually increase your bigonial width.

I have a hard time grasping how all this happened. How did isometric holds on your masseter cause bone loss over your face? Did your masseters not grow after years of doing this. I would’ve suspected that the hyper trophy of the masseter muscles would override bone loss (if any) and actually increase your bigonial width.
I'll PM you later elaborating on it

Ok no problem

I'm not discounting what he said, but I think his experience is pretty uncommon. Stress results in appositional bone growth, not bone loss. My bigonial width has absolutely increased.

I'm not discounting what he said, but I think his experience is pretty uncommon. Stress results in appositional bone growth, not bone loss. My bigonial width has absolutely increased.
Same but it’s mostly muscle I say. If i got Botox and atrophied my masseters again I’d probably be disappointed.

• +1
Same but it’s mostly muscle I say. If i got Botox and atrophied my masseters again I’d probably be disappointed.
I think it's mostly muscle too.

• +1
Reactions: sanchez451