Its very hard to keep up with my peers

Jason Voorhees

Jason Voorhees

Mod
Staff
As a STEM major in a top 10 uni in my country. I find very hard to keep up with guys in my class everyone here is an overachiever. I study for weeks but still only end up getting a B or A- which is barely better than the regular C that I manage without putting as much effort. Passing the courses is easy but getting good grades is very difficult because of relative grading. Despite having a decent GPA always feel like a dumb idiot in my classes and often feel like I don't belong here. I once used to be school topper but here I'm just another average guy who is just pulling through the classes aimlessly. All my achievements seem miniscule compared to what some people I know irl have achieved. It's brutal.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: sayi, optimisticzoomer, Offensive Bias and 16 others
@Chadeep @ayusshhhh @MoggerGaston @Darkeningstar

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: ayusshhhh and Darkeningstar
As long as it's 8+ I don't think Companies care that much.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: ryuken, Akhi, Deleted member 44368 and 2 others
Big diff between c and a-

• +1
Reactions: mrriceguyreturn and Jason Voorhees
As long as it's 8+ I don't think Companies care that much.
8.2 GPA which is apparently above average but damn does it burn

• +1
Reactions: ayusshhhh, Darkeningstar and Chadeep
That's usual uni experience if you're not truly gifted. The way you learn completely changes.

• +1
Reactions: ElTruecel, HighTierSubhuman, Chadeep and 1 other person
  • +1
Reactions: Chadeep and MoggerGaston
If it's in 1-2 courses not much difference but if it's a- in all courses yes
I think its normal what you're saying. I used to experience the same where effort didnt feel worth it for the small grade increase but huge time sink

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees
I feel this way, but socially. More effort but poor results compared to others.

• +1
Reactions: scrunchables, Chadeep, Samsepioler and 2 others
It feels so useless to do anything in cs when my friend wrote a research paper in his first year and is already earning decent money in a summer internship

• +1
Reactions: Chadeep and Jason Voorhees
If it's in 1-2 courses not much difference but if it's a- in all courses yes
Might be easier to lower your classes per semester so you can have more time for each class individually

Take 1 or 2 out per semester, if that's viable and you're employed or have financial support

• +1
My friend is already doing a super dream summer internship at DeShaw
It feels so useless to do anything in cs when my friend wrote a research paper in his first year and is already earning decent money in a summer internship

do you cheat ?

• +1
No because I'm scared of consequences.
idk maybe its different in usa, but i was a stemcel too, and the top of my promotion were hardcode cheater, they optimised the cheating to be untracable and to be smooth af.

its like a roid dude telling to a normal dude "come on man you can do it"

• +1
As a STEM major in a top 10 uni in my country. I find very hard to keep up with guys in my class everyone here is an overachiever. I study for weeks but still only end up getting a B or A- which is barely better than the regular C that I manage without putting as much effort. Passing the courses is easy but getting good grades is very difficult because of relative grading. Despite having a decent GPA always feel like a dumb idiot in my classes and often feel like I don't belong here. I once used to be school topper but here I'm just another average guy who is just pulling through the classes aimlessly. All my achievements seem miniscule compared to what some people I know irl have achieved. It's brutal.

If you are already doing well then there's no need to compare, there will always be someone better than you.

Competition is good, though over-fixating when it affects you negatively will lead you into a rut.

• +1
I don't know much about this, but are you in the Jee Neet program or something along those lines? I heard it's extremely competitive

• +1
You're a really smart dude. Don't fall into the imposter syndrome type thinking. If anything, use your peers as motivation to keep striving for more. I know that sounds like water advice, but there's that saying about "if you're the smartest person in a room, you're in the wrong room" and how comparing yourself to others is just going to rob you of happiness.

You've got lots of accomplishments.

• +1
Reactions: notrealdanish, Pakicel, Chadeep and 2 others
I don't know much about this, but are you in the Jee Neet program or something along those lines? I heard it's extremely competitive
Yes.

• +1
Reactions: MA_ascender
in same boat bhai

companies are chad only (9 CGPA or above)

in same boat bhai

companies are chad only (9 CGPA or above)
Unlike Private colleges in my uni most people can sit for placements. 7 above is fine since 9 pointers are very very rare here but ofc for the top companies the cutoff is set at 9.

• +1
Reactions: Chadeep and MrBossMan
Unlike Private colleges in my uni most people can sit for placements. 7 above is fine since 9 pointers are very very rare here but ofc for the top companies the cutoff is set at 9.
here most of the times 7+ are eligible but since my uni is overcrowded they send only 9+ to the companies even though we apply

• +1
Reactions: Jason Voorhees and Chadeep
Keep hustling bhai

• +1
It doesn’t matter, just network better than them

• +1
Studycelling is waste of time its like working hard just to become a slave and work harder

• +1
Just keep coping and you will be fine

• +1
here most of the times 7+ are eligible but since my uni is overcrowded they send only 9+ to the companies even though we apply
Cognizant is Paying 2.4 LPA btw. Such a joke Indian IT market has become.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: MrBossMan, Pakicel and Jason Voorhees
  • +1
Reactions: Chadeep
@Pakicel @HighTierSubhuman @HarrierDuBois @ryuken @buflek @ElTruecel

• +1
Reactions: Chadeep, HighTierSubhuman and ryuken
@Pakicel @HighTierSubhuman @HarrierDuBois @ryuken @buflek @ElTruecel
I was a non NT in a school where there were kids who regularly went to top tier Ivy leagues/unis.

• +1
You're a really smart dude. Don't fall into the imposter syndrome type thinking. If anything, use your peers as motivation to keep striving for more. I know that sounds like water advice, but there's that saying about "if you're the smartest person in a room, you're in the wrong room" and how comparing yourself to others is just going to rob you of happiness.

You've got lots of accomplishments.
Yeah he IQmogs Einstein.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss and Jason Voorhees
  • +1
OP, you should hold back on studycelling too much. Don’t lose your BBC halo.

• +1
Who cares about grades bro. Just pass,slay hot bitches, and use your dad’s connections to secure a job.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Chadeep, Gonthar and Jason Voorhees
That's just how uni (especially prestigious unis) is compared to high school. More people are filtered out because they either weren't smart enough for it or didn't put enough work in. It sucks going from one of the top students in high school to completely average but the competition is simply way tougher.

• +1
Reactions: Chadeep, Nick.Harte and Jason Voorhees
That's just how uni (especially prestigious unis) is compared to high school. More people are filtered out because they either weren't smart enough for it or didn't put enough work in. It sucks going from one of the top students in high school to completely average but the competition is simply way tougher.
Very humbling experince I must say tbh. I used to think I was high iq and smart.

• +1
Reactions: Nick.Harte, Chadeep and HighTierSubhuman

Lol, that's exactly what happened to me, I used to be a brilliant student too, but I just couldn't keep up anymore at a higher education level...Anyway, I eventually ended up here....

• +1
Reactions: Nick.Harte and Jason Voorhees
Very humbling experince I must say tbh. I used to think I was high iq and smart.
Tbh you are probably 125+ IQ. But when everyone around you is as just as smart or even smarter, you are going to feel dumb.

Don’t worry though. You will learn to enjoy being around high IQ people. I definitely do.

• +1
Cognizant is Paying 2.4 LPA btw. Such a joke Indian IT market has become.
with that money you can't live in tier 1 city even in india

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: MrBossMan
  • +1
Reactions: Chadeep
2.4 LPA in india is the casual income of a street vendor nowadays tbh in India

• +1

What’s ur iq like bhai ?

• +1
@optimisticzoomer