I've been on antibiotics for 4 years straight

Antibiotics for 4 years for acne is fucking insanity. Go to a different dermatologist.
I have basically been taking Doxycycline 50mg for longer than OP. I have blepharitis and acne so it helps with that. Started looking like shit at around 17 because never wore sunscreen so my skin looked way older. Had mental issues throughout high school not sure if that had anything to do with doxy though.

What hormones in your body are you worried about OP? Have you got your bloods checked?

Yes.... now this is when it’s okay to destroy someone’s livelihood and make them pay...

I have basically been taking Doxycycline 50mg for longer than OP. I have blepharitis and acne so it helps with that. Started looking like shit at around 17 because never wore sunscreen so my skin looked way older. Had mental issues throughout high school not sure if that had anything to do with doxy though.

What hormones in your body are you worried about OP? Have you got your bloods checked?
I'm worried about the bacteria in my intestines, my gut Flora. Also I've been taking 100mg of either Mino or Doxy once a day, every day, for years. After 3 months my body gets adapted to the antibiotic and I start breaking out again, that's why I switch back and forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm worried about the bacteria in my intestines, my gut Flora. Also I've been taking 100mg of either Mino or Doxy once a day, every day, for years. After 3 months my body gets adapted to the antibiotic and I start breaking out again, that's why I switch back and forth.
Well 50mg is the minimum dose I take and I've been taking it on and off for like 5 years. I've been off it for periods of like 6 months or more, and didn't see huge changes, but got minor acne scarring.
Yea I know a little bit about gut flora and how it's connected to your mental health.

"Australia’s Food & Mood Centre – a collaborative research hub – conducted direct-intervention study SMILES, which randomly assigned adults with major depressive disorders either to face-to-face social support (known to be helpful for depression) or to a Mediterranean-style diet with support from a dietitian over 12 weeks. One in three in the dietary group experienced full remission of their depression, compared to 8% in the social-support group."

Lots of the participants could have been fat foids who lost weight and started fucking Chad though. Who knows.

There are companies which let you literally send a sample of your shit and they assess your microbiome health but it's not conclusive as to what ailments are associated with different levels of gut flora. I think it's a good idea for you, and you should definitely take on a gut boosting diet.

As for mitigating acne off antibiotics, it was hard for me and my acne wasn't nearly as bad as yours.

You'd need to apply Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% twice a day with some sort of retionoid like Retin A. Also cleanse twice a day. @benignice has a good skin care guide. If you still get pimples though I don't know, you may have to just cycle Doxy or Accutane.

Your "dermatologist" is criminally negligent. Acne is a hormonal issue the first course of action should be dietary intervention, at first easy tweaks like removing junk food and dairy, to extreme interventions like carnivore+water only. To bypass such interventions in favor of dangerous drugs is contemptible and I imagine you only subjected yourself to such malpractice because you didn't know better.

The microbiome is just a reflection of the foods you eat, there's a lot of junk science pertaining to it. Probiotics on their own do not repopulate bacteria species, they have to be taken in conjunction with the right foods to feed the species you want to repopulate.

you're at a higher risk for getting a c-diff infection, and yellow teeth due to the doxy. If you start getting gut issues, tht's the time to worry, worst case scenario is a severe c -diff infection known as psuedomembranous colitis (your entire colon gets fkd = you need something called a stool transplant - they literally transplant shit from another person and put it in your colon to recolonize your colon).
@cocainecowboy

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 2486
Minocycline is the best antibiotics for acne because of the lack of side effects and it doesn't change a lot of the gut, making it the most safe to use long term.
Also, don't take acutane if you are below 25, that shit fucks up your hormones, most importantly HGH.
Dermatologists who prescribe that to teens are evil.
Studies are controversial, some say doxy does reduce the number of certain strains of beneficial bacteria, some say, it doesn't.

Doxycycline causes endocrine disruption in developing mice. Better be safe than sorry imo.
Either of you know anything about long term Lymecycline use?
Similar situation to OP, been taking it for well over 2 years now but concerned about if it's fucking me up or not and whether I should try to switch it out for something else.