Job would you rather:

Deleted member 19551

Deleted member 19551

Equinox
Start making money right out of college after a typical 4 year bachelors at around 21-23 years old, with an upper ceiling income of let's say untaxed 200k USD (let's say you're a CS student, work in finance or an engineer), or would you rather start working at 30 years old instead as a doctor or dentist, but with an upper ceiling income of 350k USD?

According to basic calculations, the dentist and doctor will ultimately make double the money even if they started late, but if the former boat is financially literate they can leverage their lower income

I'm in the latter boat. I won't make my first shekel until I'm 30 years old. The income will be insane however for a very cushy job (orthodontist). I'm graduating with no fees or debt but the fact that I won't have ANY financial freedom for a decade fucks me

Thoughts?

I would do the first.

But honestly both don't sound fulfilling for me.

• +1
Reactions: thereallegend
Thats a fucking joke. Start a business

• +1
Reactions: yorker12
I would say the former cause I desperately need that money for surgeries. Also, caging at being dead broke up until your 30s wtf. Lastly, engineers/swe (which is what I plan to do) can end up making well over 200k so it's hard to give a definitive answer but for my situation, I rather start making money earlier even if it's a bit less.

I would say the former cause I desperately need that money for surgeries. Also, caging at being dead broke up until your 30s wtf. Lastly, engineers/swe (which is what I plan to do) can end up making well over 200k so it's hard to give a definitive answer but for my situation, I rather start making money earlier even if it's a bit less.
Engineers can make above that, of course, it's just very rare and not the average. Not even close to the average. In fact, the average for computer scientist graduates is HALF of that, so I was already very generous with the 200k. There are doctors working private making up to a million dollars. Most CS graduates don't work in FANG or make a ton of money, especially those outside of North America

But being broke until 30 sounds painful

Engineers can make above that, of course, it's just very rare and not the average. Not even close to the average. In fact, the average for computer scientist graduates is HALF of that, so I was already very generous with the 200k. There are doctors working private making up to a million dollars. Most CS graduates don't work in FANG or make a ton of money, especially those outside of North America

But being broke until 30 sounds painful
Sucks to suck for those people ngl. I think on the route I'm headed I should be able to make close to 200k by 30. And yeah not having a penny to your name until 30 sounds rough asl. I guess it comes down to if you care about doing the shit that normies do at that age like partying, nightclubs, settling down maybe. If you don't then stay with your parents and study dentistry.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 19551