Leanmaxxing as a Looksmin: Why 12% bf is NOT for everyone

GreekGenes

GreekGenes

Mediterraneanmaxxed Specimen
Starvemaxx, leanmaxx - call it what you will - may not be so great if you have a narrow lower third.

Studies show that 12% bf is the most attractive for men on average.

BUT don't lean down to 12% just because of that.

If you're like me your face may look better at 15% body fat. The reason being that I have a narrow lower third.

Most of the fat you lose when leanmaxxing is fat stored in the lower third of your face. Not your forehead, not your eye area.

While a narrow lower third is considered attractive among women, it's not considered attractive among men. The more you hollow it out by leaning down, the worse it will work against you.

So, let this serve as a reminder that you shouldn't autistically aim for a number like 12% bf, but what looks best on you personally and helps your features harmonise.

Sometimes that means going for a compromise, a less veiny body for a more attractive face - which is a good trade off IMHO.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: russwestbrook, dark.max, Snowskinned and 2 others
Some people (including me) have to be lower than 12% body fat for their faces to look lean—because they’re recessed, naturally store disproportionately more fat on their faces, or both.

I probably need to be 5% just for my face to have a bit of angularity.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ryuken and NZb6Air
Starvemaxx, leanmaxx - call it what you will - may not be so great if you have a narrow lower third.

Studies show that 12% bf is the most attractive for men on average.

BUT don't lean down to 12% just because of that.

If you're like me your face may look better at 15% body fat. The reason being that I have a narrow lower third.

Most of the fat you lose when leanmaxxing is fat stored in the lower third of your face. Not your forehead, not your eye area.

While a narrow lower third is considered attractive among women, it's not considered attractive among men. The more you hollow it out by leaning down, the worse it will work against you.

So, let this serve as a reminder that you shouldn't autistically aim for a number like 12% bf, but what looks best on you personally and helps your features harmonise.

Sometimes that means going for a compromise, a less veiny body for a more attractive face - which is a good trade off IMHO.
How do I starvemaxx without stunting my growth

Some people (including me) have to be lower than 12% body fat for their faces to look lean—because they’re recessed, naturally store disproportionately more fat on their faces, or both.

I probably need to be 5% just for my face to have a bit of angularity.
Yea good point. The opposite of what I described exists too.

And that's exactly why averages exist. Theres people who look better at 8% bf and people who look better at 15%.

• +1
Reactions: thecel
The better the lower for me i have a high bonemass face henry cavill style jaw jiding would be a crime

• +1
Reactions: GreekGenes