Lefty rankin

Wallenberg

Wallenberg

Kraken
How's life with the Chinese gal @Lefty Rankin

• +1
Reactions: kebab and Lefty Rankin
Same old same old. Three more months till she can apply for citizenship. Six more till she can actually acquire it. We're hanging in there. Doing our time in America. Can't wait to be back in Asia to tell you the truth. Life is so much more stressful here. How've you been?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: BitchBoy, kebab and Wallenberg
Same old same old. Three more months till she can apply for citizenship. Six more till she can actually acquire it. We're hanging in there. Doing our time in America. Can't wait to be back in Asia to tell you the truth. Life is so much more stressful here. How've you been?
Are you going to SEA?

Life's good. Have you been to Japan?

• +1
Reactions: Lefty Rankin
Are you going to SEA?

Life's good. Have you been to Japan?
We're going to do a year in Cambodia to start then see where it goes from there. Never been to Japan but we'll go for a visit sometime.

We're going to do a year in Cambodia to start then see where it goes from there. Never been to Japan but we'll go for a visit sometime.
I think Japan might be too strict for your taste.

• +1
I think Japan might be too strict for your taste.
Nah, because of the cultural significance. Japan's got a certain appeal for me that would override my preference for absolutely freedom. Getting lost in a random neighborhood in Osaka or whatever would bring me plenty enough joy to tolerate the strictness.

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
Nah, because of the cultural significance. Japan's got a certain appeal for me that would override my preference for absolutely freedom. Getting lost in a random neighborhood in Osaka or whatever would bring me plenty enough joy to tolerate the strictness.
You plan to live in SEA with your wife and kid?

• +1
You plan to live in SEA with your wife and kid?
Might bounce around every couple years actually, though Cambodia/Vietnam is where we'll start out. We might end up teaching online and expat around Eastern Europe too, or wherever else it might take us. I'd like to give my boy the benefit of growing up in multiple places that are very different from each other. A well rounded international mindset. If we can hop over to your country and take a bus over to St. Petersburg without too many problems I think we'll be able to stay in Russia on a business visa good for 3 years and only have to leave once every 6 months. It would be great if my boy can be a native speaker of 3 languages or more. Russian's a great language to know. When we leave we'll probably go to China first though for a couple of months. Stay with the family there and probably see some cities I've always wanted to see but never got around to. Wuhan and Kunming at least.

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
Might bounce around every couple years actually, though Cambodia/Vietnam is where we'll start out. We might end up teaching online and expat around Eastern Europe too, or wherever else it might take us. I'd like to give my boy the benefit of growing up in multiple places that are very different from each other. A well rounded international mindset. If we can hop over to your country and take a bus over to St. Petersburg without too many problems I think we'll be able to stay in Russia on a business visa good for 3 years and only have to leave once every 6 months. It would be great if my boy can be a native speaker of 3 languages or more. Russian's a great language to know. When we leave we'll probably go to China first though for a couple of months. Stay with the family there and probably see some cities I've always wanted to see but never got around to. Wuhan and Kunming at least.
Chinese would be a great language to know. Finland is more expensive than SEA or EE so not the best option in that regard.

Your videos were nice, make some new vids when you have time. Are you in Michigan still? Is your house cold?

• +1
Chinese would be a great language to know. Finland is more expensive than SEA or EE so not the best option in that regard.

Your videos were nice, make some new vids when you have time. Are you in Michigan still? Is your house cold?
Yeah, still in Michigan. Not so cold. Today was like a cold summer day. Disappointing really. When I was a kid the lakes would be frozen by now and snow would always be on the ground.

I'm unable to upload recently because I can't get back into my old YouTube account. The one I use now is under my real name. Don't want to get doxxed. I'll figure it out sometime. Make another account.

I'd only want to visit Finland. Not live there. Good way to get to Russia.

Our boy speaks Chinese and English. Starting to talk. He'll say sentences half in English and the other half in Chinese. "Bu yao go home." "I don't shui jiao" I'd like him to speak Russian though because of the grammar. It will be easy for him to acquire any language as he gets older if he speaks Russian as well as Chinese and English at a native level.

Wuhan has great food

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Lefty Rankin and Arcturus
Daily reminder that @Lefty Rankin mogs

• +1
Yeah, still in Michigan. Not so cold. Today was like a cold summer day. Disappointing really. When I was a kid the lakes would be frozen by now and snow would always be on the ground.

I'm unable to upload recently because I can't get back into my old YouTube account. The one I use now is under my real name. Don't want to get doxxed. I'll figure it out sometime. Make another account.

I'd only want to visit Finland. Not live there. Good way to get to Russia.

Our boy speaks Chinese and English. Starting to talk. He'll say sentences half in English and the other half in Chinese. "Bu yao go home." "I don't shui jiao" I'd like him to speak Russian though because of the grammar. It will be easy for him to acquire any language as he gets older if he speaks Russian as well as Chinese and English at a native level.
A lot of snow? We have plenty of it this winter. Auroras too.

Does your missus like America?

• +1
A lot of snow? We have plenty of it this winter. Auroras too.

Does your missus like America?
No, she doesn't like it. Mainly because of the situation with raising our boy. You know a coworker of mine, an American born Chinese, told me that the Chinese who live in the US have a saying for Americans (meaning white people). It goes, "Americans say they love freedom but deep down they secretly love being told what to do." This is very true.

There's too many rules for children here. In China nobody bats an eye when children are loud in public or throwing a tantrum. Nobody cares if neighborhood kids play on their lawn. Parents there care more about being good parents and less about being seen as good parents. Here we get so many dirty looks because our boy is more loud and less well behaved than the local kids. In China there's a line between children's world and adult's world. Here that line doesn't exist.

In China it's not a big deal if children are fighting, yelling, arguing, being rude or unfair to each other, because at the end of the day it's just children being children in their world. They can naturally learn through cause and effect why certain behavior isn't good. In the US children behave in public like mommy & daddy's perfect little soldiers, but at home when nobody's looking they're black hearted devils. They learn to be passive aggressive instead of direct.

I think a lot of the reason why so many US boys are socially inhibited is because of the way they're brought up. They never had the chance to be a monster when it was time to be a monster, in their early childhood. It's funny, I've never really met too many shy people in China. Out of all my time in China I can count on one hand how many shy men I met. Men who grew up in China simply aren't shy. They might be hesitant to speak English with you because they don't want to lose face, but they aren't socially inhibited at all. When they come to America though they change. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the Chinese area of Ann Arbor. My wife says she hates the way most of them act. She says they're Chinese but they "squeeze their butts tight and act like quiet little mice" like the white Americans.

Sometimes she's afraid to take our boy to the local library. There's a huge play center in the basement with a foam block room and all kinds of other stuff. She gets a lot of dirty looks from uppity soccer mom types. Our boy has never been violent with other children. He's just loud and rambunctious, as a boy should be. Whenever other boys are like that in public we'll see the other parents kneel down and give their misbehaving child serious talk threatening to take them home or whatever. And it's obvious that they only do that for the approval of everyone who's able to witness it. We don't want our boy to grow up with peers who are raised that way. Children should be children. I'd rather my boy be a monster as an adolescent than an inhibited teenager.

Besides that it's incredibly boring here. Nothing to do all day. In China my wife could take our boy down to the courtyard of any community we're living in any time of day and talk with other mothers and grandma's while the children play together. She wouldn't have to worry about having to profusely apologize if some kid came running to their grandma claiming that our child hit them. And she feels like she's got nothing in common here.

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg and thereallegend