Leg-Lengthening Surgery

$

$tackThatMoney

Iron
I am considering getting leg-lengthening surgery.

• What is the range of height increase available? Is there a 'safe' range?
  • Will I be able to continue playing high-impact sport post-operation, or will this be compromised?

Thanks. If you're reading this, I hope you are well.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Chadelite, Obey and turkproducer
I've heard you shouldn't go above a 7cm increase ideally

• +1
Reactions: $tackThatMoney
  • Will I be able to continue playing high-impact sport post-operation, or will this be compromised?
The 'safe range' for leg-lengthening surgery is around 3 inches.

Post-operation you can not play sports, however after making a complete recovery I believe you should be able to continue playing sports. leg lengthening does not compromise your long-term athletic ability since it creates new bones which are a part of your body. I am not sure if leg-lengthening effects your muscle insertions.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite and $tackThatMoney
Thank you. Do you know the reasoning behind that?
I think that's the point where recovery starts to be more complicated, especially foe someone like you who wants to keep playing sports

• +1
Reactions: $tackThatMoney
The 'safe range' for leg-lengthening surgery is around 3 inches.

Post-operation you can not play sports, however after making a complete recovery I believe you should be able to continue playing sports. leg lengthening does not compromise your long-term athletic ability since it creates new bones which are a part of your body. I am not sure if leg-lengthening effects your muscle insertions.
I appreciate your insight. If there's any risk of not being able to engage in sports then I wouldn't follow through with the procedure. I suppose that's a question for the surgeon to answer in detail, though.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite and Selinity
Beyond 5 cm, the chances of a complete recovery and return to sports activities drops drastically. Think of it as a string being stretched beyond its elastic limit.

Beyond 8 cm and the risk of far more serious complications arises.

• +1
Reactions: Acromegaly_Chad, Chadelite, $tackThatMoney and 1 other person
Beyond 5 cm, the chances of a complete recovery and return to sports activities drops drastically. Think of it as a string being stretched beyond its elastic limit.

I means consider the tibia and femur as 2 different elastics.

I would lengthen tibia by 3cm
Then femur by 5cm

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14262, $tackThatMoney and turkproducer
20cm is ideal

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Acromegaly_Chad and pizza

Thanks for your input. So you're suggesting no more than a 5cm overall increase for full functionality?

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite

Then femur by 5cm
Am I right in thinking that taking a modular approach (as you have suggested - lengthening two separate bones) mitigates risk whilst providing almost 3 inches of extra height?

Thank you for your comment.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite

hey man you need to go to this channel called cyborg 4 life on yoitube. he has all the info you'll ever need including docs in different regions etc.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite, Obey and $tackThatMoney
hey man you need to go to this channel called cyborg 4 life on yoitube. he has all the info you'll ever need including docs in different regions etc.
Seems like a fantastic resource. Much appreciated.

• +1
Reactions: Chadelite and AsGoodAsItGets
Thanks for your input. So you're suggesting no more than a 5cm overall increase for full functionality?
Yes, on any one bone.

Then femur by 5cm
Am I right in thinking that taking a modular approach (as you have suggested - lengthening two separate bones) mitigates risk whilst providing almost 3 inches of extra height?

Thank you for your comment.
Not necessarily... Since major blood vessels, tendons, and other connective tissue do still have to stretch the entire length. There are structures that run between the bones and will consequently have to bear the load of the entire expansion.

Additionally the cost usually ~doubles to get this done. Some surgeons offer packages to lengthen both bones (for a slightly cheaper price than getting it done separately).

Would recommend researching Limb Lengthening Forum - Index but there's a lot of conflicting info and theoretical talk from the little time I've browsed there.

• +1
Reactions: $tackThatMoney, Chadelite, AsGoodAsItGets and 1 other person

1.Femur 8cm
2.Its invasive cracking your bones, its not gonna be status before surgery 100%, maybe 95% maybe 75% who knows, very individual some come back to sport after ,some struggling its lottery

• +1
Reactions: $tackThatMoney and Chadelite
Yes, on any one bone.

Not necessarily... Since major blood vessels, tendons, and other connective tissue do still have to stretch the entire length. There are structures that run between the bones and will consequently have to bear the load of the entire expansion.

Additionally the cost usually ~doubles to get this done. Some surgeons offer packages to lengthen both bones (for a slightly cheaper price than getting it done separately).

Would recommend researching Limb Lengthening Forum - Index but there's a lot of conflicting info and theoretical talk from the little time I've browsed there.
I see - so with the considerable upside comes a lot of risk. Thanks.

1.Femur 8cm
2.Its invasive cracking your bones, its not gonna be status before surgery 100%, maybe 95% maybe 75% who knows, very individual some come back to sport after ,some struggling its lottery
Understandable. Appreciate your response.

You can grow up to 16cm but you would need to do the surgery on both bones twice (I believe one year apart)