Looks and personality are a false dichotomy

TrestIsBest

TrestIsBest

Eating Finestaride and Adderall for breakfast
also good looking people never com e accroess as autistic

• +1
Reactions: ROTTING, Orc and Deleted member 8608
also good looking people never com e accroess as autistic
True im autistic af and pepople say im so confident in myself and thats why i never look at wohmeen

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 21735
What is a false dichotomy?

What is a false dichotomy?
It seems like the op used it wrong. A false dichotomy describes a scenario where there are only two options presented although there are many more. For example if I said: You're either a Christian or an atheist, I created a false dichotomy because there are more options than these two, for example being Muslim.

In this case that doesn't fit to looks and personality at all, it would make more sense that one says looks and personality are two entities that are often times seperated from each other, although they actually work together and influence one another.

• +1
Reactions: GuyFromSingapore, Deleted member 6423 and Deleted member 14693
It seems like the op used it wrong. A false dichotomy describes a scenario where there are only two options presented although there are many more. For example if I said: You're either a Christian or an atheist, I created a false dichotomy because there are more options than these two, for example being Muslim.

In this case that doesn't fit to looks and personality at all, it would make more sense that one says looks and personality are two entities that are often times seperated from each other, although they actually work together and influence one another.
I borrowed the title from the video. And I don't think I used it wrong. The dichotomy is assumed when the common topic of "looks OR personality: what really matters in regards to attraction/success?" is discussed. It is further assumed when people think good looking people lack a good personality because of their attractiveness.

In short: you are dumb @julianchicago

Last edited:
I borrowed the title from the video. And I don't think I used it wrong. The dichotomy is assumed when the common topic of "looks OR personality: what really matters in regards to attraction/success?" is discussed
Didn't see that you borrowed your title from the comment, then the context in which the commentor uses the phrase makes no sense.
The narrative which they want to undermine is, that it doesn't make sense that you seperate looks and personality from another, as both work together. So what they're trying to say is that you should view these aspects as more homogeneous.
If it would be a false dichotomy it implies that the reality says that there exist even MORE options than those two, but that's not what they want to say here.

• +1
Reactions: GuyFromSingapore and TrestIsBest
Didn't see that you borrowed your title from the comment, then the context in which the commentor uses the phrase makes no sense.
The narrative which they want to undermine is, that it doesn't make sense that you seperate looks and personality from another, as both work together. So what they're trying to say is that you should view these aspects as more homogeneous.
If it would be a false dichotomy it implies that the reality says that there exist even MORE options than those two, but that's not what they want to say here.
I think the dichotomy the commenter was referring to is this: often times people cope by assuming good looking people have bad personality (so the dichotomy is: you are either good-looking or have a good personality). The video debunks this by claiming that most often being good looking is actually conducive to developing a good personality

• +1
Reactions: GuyFromSingapore and Magnum Opus