Masters Degree or internship slave until job offer?

Deleted member 7098

Deleted member 7098

-
Im about to finished my Bachelors Degree in Finance and wanted to start working in the Banking Industry. Now Covid wiped the floor with the financial services job market and i'm stuck at a cross-roads

So what do you guys recommend going back to school to finish another, mostly useless, degree (since it only acts as an entry ticket and you barely learn anything relevant) or internship cuck for a year at effectively minimum wage to maybe get a good offer afterwards? The Job i'm aiming for pays 100k+ entry wage

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4209
mega cucked. i could have straight up studied some pink hair feminist joke degree and ended up in the same place jfl

Im about to finished my Bachelors Degree in Finance and wanted to start working in the Banking Industry. Now Covid wiped the floor with the financial services job market and i'm stuck at a cross-roads

So what do you guys recommend going back to school to finish another, mostly useless, degree (since it only acts as an entry ticket and you barely learn anything relevant) or internship cuck for a year at effectively minimum wage to maybe get a good offer afterwards? The Job i'm aiming for pays 100k+ entry wage
Depends on which firm
Goldman Sachs, Jp morgan etc. Yes
If small company no

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7098
man knows his shit.
Slave-jobs would be at Tier 1-2 Investment Banks or Private Equity e.g. at Rothschields
Bildschirmfoto 2020 05 23 um 201347

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: randomguy1235, Deleted member 5891 and PubertyMaxxer
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 7173
plausible deniability.
I ain‘t gonna post anything about me that isn‘t already freely accessible on the internet

„some one must have used my info to slander me“

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer
Create youtube video demonstrating your finance knowledge. It can act as resume too. Interviewer will like it cos nobody else does it and it's unique. Make it less serious with cheap animation and stuff

• +1

if you didnt go to a target school its over

na, target schools are a meme if you aren‘t from the US. Of course you should go to a decent school but mine isn‘t under the top 10 in europe and i have friends who got jobs between 100-120k last semester before corona.

Create youtube video demonstrating your finance knowledge. It can act as resume too. Interviewer will like it cos nobody else does it and it's unique. Make it less serious with cheap animation and stuff

actual A+ advice, thank you.

I have a bachelor in business and a masters in finance. Currently about to finish my phd in stats. Jobs(goog jobs) are very scarce, even with a phd. Do not expect to get that wage, even with a phd, without 5 to 10 years of experience in a top firm you would find very difficult to earn that much. Some phd friends working at jp morgan dont make that much. Your friends are lying to you.
And i forgot, i have a gpa of 9/10 in all my degrees, including a CFRE certification issued by the new york institute of finance.

Last edited:
if you do stats you're more likely to end up in the asset or risk management devisions. They don't nearly pay as much as Investmentbanking.

working hours are waaay less though so you might effectively have a higher Wage per Hour as one in IB would have.

The numbers my friends told me (60-70k fix salary + 30-40k bonus) are in line with the reported numbers on big sites.

I thought most 100K+ starting finance jobs are filled by students who interned for those companies in undergrad.

• +1
yup, that's why my initial question was if i should intern slave for like a year until one of them offer me one of the 100k+ jobs.

and if you have are in your masters degree you're more likely to get an offer than if you only had a Bsc.

Last edited:
yup, that's why my initial question was if i should intern slave for like a year until one of them offer me one of the 100k+ jobs.

and if you have are in your masters degree you're more likely to get an offer than if you only had a Bsc.

So if you need an internship to get one of those jobs, and if the only way to get an internship is to go back to college(for a masters), then I would say that it could definitetly be worth it.

• +1
I have no option tbh

im in similar situation, non stem degree and little to no job offers

i will just work for father's firm until i get a job most likely in 2021. i would not suggest a masters as, like u said, it is not particularly needed.

• +1
if you do stats you're more likely to end up in the asset or risk management devisions. They don't nearly pay as much as Investmentbanking.

working hours are waaay less though so you might effectively have a higher Wage per Hour as one in IB would have.

The numbers my friends told me (60-70k fix salary + 30-40k bonus) are in line with the reported numbers on big sites.
Those bonus are not granted. And the fix is usually lower except in NY where a good appartment in manhattan is 5k per month. Those reported numbers are bs. Show me a recent graduate earning that much without the bonus... only if you have connections you will make something similar to that, otherwise, you wont.

Should've taken COOP during uni whilst doing the bachelor. But anyways you should do the internship anyways, just for experience anyways.